Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2015, 04:45 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Racism will always exist, even though it may fade and it may take the baby boomer generation of racist dying out to see a significant improvement. That said, like you I've also been subjected to prejudice but I don't hold every white person at fault for it. I'm just not that bitter. If that makes me a coon, then so be it.
Sadly, that is the case. It would be great if it ended.

From my own experience, there are many in the boomer generation that have prejudice in them. That in mind, I've seen it from people in my generation. I think some of the people in Generation X and Generation Y are getting that prejudice from the boomers.

I have found this. When people do not bring up things like race, I tend not to think about it either. Holding bitterness towards an entire race of people does no good. It is also bad for those who aren't part of the problem.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:52 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Sadly, that is the case. It would be great if it ended.

From my own experience, there are many in the boomer generation that have prejudice in them. That in mind, I've seen it from people in my generation. I think some of the people in Generation X and Generation Y are getting that prejudice from the boomers. .
Don't forget that you're still operating in the social framework we Boomers and our elders created, and racism is embedded in that framework.

How will, for instance, media change when the persons making the editing decisions are no longer thinking in racial terms?

Old 11-27-2015, 05:01 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Racism will always exist, even though it may fade and it may take the baby boomer generation of racist dying out to see a significant improvement. That said, like you I've also been subjected to prejudice but I don't hold every white person at fault for it. I'm just not that bitter. If that makes me a coon, then so be it.
WTF? A "coon" is a Black person who talks proper and takes care of business? That's a new 1 on me. I sure as hell would NOT even refer to a decent Black person as a "coon" tho that slur IS a proper last name and, I've known several anglo white people named "Coon" and 1 was a white supremacist.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:05 PM

24 posts, read 10,400 times
Quote:
pandorafan5687, that is the same question I have asked. So far, no answer has been produced. No one has been able to prove that integration was the cause of the black family declining. On the other hand, it can be proven that no fault divorce played a larger part in AMERICAN families falling apart.
IMO, integration was not a major contributor to the issues we are seeing in the black community; though, I suppose during segregation there was more stigma attached to divorce then there is now as there was with whites (I believe this to be mere coincidence).

What really broke hit black families was a combination of job loss in the manufacturing sector, the crack epidemic in the 80s, and the ill-conceived War on Drugs. Ironically, when institutional segregation was loosing ground in the 60s, so was the country's manufacturing base. Whites had an easier, albeit not easy, time transitioning from manufacturing to services due to already higher household wealth (which somewhat isolated white community from the devastation that black communities were undergoing), an earlier start in emphasizing college to their children, and more profound political and family connections.

Being a black male from one of Chicago's rougher neighborhoods, I feel that many black youths lack adequate role models and community programs that enable them to strive to build and critically think about their futures. For example, a lot of my friends, most of whom were lacking father-figures at home and had mothers working nearly all day, ended up dealing drugs instead of focusing on school because they saw older guys making more money in a month than their moms were making in a year, along with perceived respect.

My solution is to invest in more community facilities (e.g., YMCA gyms) and outreach programs (akin to college mentor initiatives) for our boys to give them something to do and look up to. For our girls, we need to educate them more about contraception and safer sex practices while also providing mentoring.

On a positive note, I think all-to-often blacks get painted with a very negative brush, for we're definitely making strides in upward mobility and education. Overall, I'm cautiously optimistic about our future.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:07 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
WTF? A "coon" is a Black person who talks proper and takes care of business? That's a new 1 on me. I sure as hell would NOT even refer to a decent Black person as a "coon" tho that slur IS a proper last name and, I've known several anglo white people named "Coon" and 1 was a white supremacist.
Didn't you get the memo? If your circle isn't all black, you don't habitually use ebonics, or you live in the suburbs then you are a coon or an uncle tom.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Didn't you get the memo? If your circle isn't all black, you don't habitually use ebonics, or you live in the suburbs then you are a coon or an uncle tom.
Lol, a "coon"? Maybe it's different in Lake Charles, LA, but I've never heard the term "coon" be used by anyone other then white supremacists. As for uncle tom, I really only see that word being directed at very influential and conservative blacks (e.g., Clarence Thomas). Not trying to discount your experience; I just found it funny 'tis all.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:18 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
Oh no sir, no offense taken. That being said, I do see you are from the Midwest. What's the climate regarding racial relations like up there?

Old 11-27-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Oh no sir, no offense taken. That being said, I do see you are from the Midwest. What's the climate regarding racial relations like up there?
Not having lived outside of the Midwest for any meaningful period of time, I don't really have a solid point of reference. From what I've seen, no one is overtly racist (unless you go to a few small towns outside of major metro areas); but it seems very segregated still. Negative population growth of blacks in many Midwestern cities may or may not be helping that fact.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:36 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,221,131 times
Quote:
This has been asked over and over. I find this to be a very stupid question. The Black middle class is larger than it was during Jim Crow. More Blacks have college degrees than during Jim Crow. More Blacks in professional jobs than back in Jim Crow. The way I see it, the future is brighter than in Jim Crow. Now, with the underclass segment of the Black population, it really wouldn't matter. People will point to ghettos and claim that integration caused that. No. If it takes forcing Black people to live in one section of town, then the problem is not integration.
This. People fail to realize that the riots and all the problems we have today are minor compared to what it was like in the 50's and 60's. In the 60's, if you walked into the white part of the town or the black part of town and you weren't the majority race, you would at the very least be refused service. Black education is rising, more black people go to high school than ever, more black people have college degrees, the education gap between blacks and whites is far less than what it was in the 60's because intergration allows the best resoucres to be available to all people rather than just a few. Yes there are still ghettos but less black people live in ghettos today then yesterday. 50 years ago my neighborhood wouldn't have been this diverse. IT would have been all white people. Today there is a far greater diversity and people of different races live next to each other and no one bats an eye or cares. For every 100 incidents of racial harmony, there is 1 incident of racism but that 1 incident is made national news because its abnormal. We highlight the worse parts because it gets ratings, attention but nobody will care if people of two races hang out with each other and become good friends or if people of all races attend a school together with little racism. People like to focus on the negative but never the positives. Im not white or black if that matters

Last edited by Amercity; 11-27-2015 at 09:45 PM..

Old 11-28-2015, 04:42 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
With all due respect 90% did not integrate or you would not have what I've heard black Africans call the American Ebonic black clown culture.
In Africa their segregation and what they have become (at least to Africans I talked to in Africa) a bunch of weirdos.
That is called cultural tensions. However, believe you me, the majority of Africans who immigrate here do not fully assimilate. They are not going to lose their cultures. No different from the Asians and others. Everyone knows what the U.S. did to Black Americans, beating out their cultures/forced assimilation. Africans look down on the cultural loss, which is how the view the speech that came out of trying to retain native languages. Integration to the point of complete loss of native language is NOT favorable to any African.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies