Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why Did Hillary Clinton Move to New York in 2001?
Her and Bill were now too "good" for Arkansas 8 12.12%
Her and Bill wanted to stay relevant by carpetbagging a New York Senate seat 39 59.09%
A little bit of both 19 28.79%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 11:19 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,002,120 times

Advertisements

The reasons that people move can be varied, of course. I imagine that Ms. Clinton thought she had a good chance to win election in New York.

It is not as unusual as one thinks.

Recall that Scott Brown became the Senator from Massachusetts (via special election) after Ted Kennedy died. Mr. Brown then ran for the same seat in 2012, losing to Elizabeth Warren. Mr. Brown then moved to New Hampshire (where I believe his family originally comes from) and ran for the Senate in 2014,winning the Republican nomination, but losing the a Democrat in the general election.

Bob Smith served in the House as a Republican out of New Hampshire, then moved to Florida in order to run for the Senate, only to lose.

Daniel Webster initially served New Hampshire as a US Representative, then moved to Massachusetts where he served as first a representative, then as a Senator.

Sam Houston was governor of Tennessee, then moved to Texas where he first served in the US Senate, before becoming Governor of Texas.

There are probably other examples, but such will suffice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 11:22 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
When a poster insists on calling Hillary the "King" in all her posts on this entire website, it's hard to take that poster seriously. It's only haters like you who think she's been annotated with super powers. Most people know better. She's tough as nails and has earned her place in history. You? Not so much.
Hmm.. Urban Dictionary: Hater Pretty much sums it up. Thank you for proving my point about making personal attack as defense for The King.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I guess you don't understand that when you make an assertion, like "They don't like her," that a challenge to your expertise is on topic. How do you know that, "They don't like her"?
I don't mind challenge, but as I told previous party, personal attacks are not a challenge. They are what you do when you can't actually address what was said with logic or fact.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 10-08-2015 at 11:51 AM..

Old 10-08-2015, 11:35 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,524,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Yes, but that doesn't make it right. That's not how elections are supposed to work. Carpetbagging is a very dirty trick.
Carpetbagging as you put it, has nothing to do with how elections work. The Constitution and at lower levels, the state, give requirements for holding office.

As long as she has those requirements, then its up to the people to decided whether to elect her.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:40 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,307,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The Urban Dictionary? What a joke. From the same Urban Dictionary... The King is: "A man dressed as a king that breaks into your house at night and gets into your bed. When you wake up he will be in your bed with you to offer you breakfast." Urban Dictionary: The King

Care to explain why you insist on disrespecting her gender (among other things) with your childish, "The King" nickname?

Old 10-08-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
The Urban Dictionary? What a joke. Care to explain why you insist on disrespecting her gender (among other things) with your childish, "The King" nickname?
It's the word you used. Furthermore your question is fallacious as I don't consider it childish but if you really want to know a search will yield answer as I've said it many times.

As far as giving "respect" to the King, the King has to earn it. I'm not so blinded by political dogma that I assume that I assume a politician deserves to be automatically respected, least of which Hillary Clinton. Any thinking person would wonder why anyone would have respect for this woman. However.....

If you wish to to give real reason as to why Hillary Clinton deserves respect, then please speak and I will consider it. But continuing personal attacks like this only suggests that you would be grasping at straws. Feel free to prove me wrong with a real discussion.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:57 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Quote:
Hmm.. Urban Dictionary: Hater Pretty much sums it up. Thank you for proving my point about making personal attack as defense for The King.I don't mind challenge, but as I told previous party, personal attacks are not a challenge. They are what you do when you can't actually address what was said with logic or fact.
Still waiting on you to defend your assertion, "They don't like her."

Any facts forthcoming?

Old 10-08-2015, 12:16 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,307,441 times
Quote:

If you wish to to give real reason as to why Hillary Clinton deserves respect, then please speak and I will consider it. But continuing personal attacks like this only suggests that you would be grasping at straws. Feel free to prove me wrong with a real discussion.
I don't expect you to read this list of Hillary's accomplishments much less accept them for what they are, but I'm posting the link anyway. Here’s A List Of Hillary Clinton’s Accomplishments, So Quit Saying She Doesn’t Have Any «

Old 10-08-2015, 02:29 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Carpetbagging as you put it, has nothing to do with how elections work. The Constitution and at lower levels, the state, give requirements for holding office.

As long as she has those requirements, then its up to the people to decided whether to elect her.
You are taking the word to literallly. We all know she ran legally in the state, but the fact she moved there, probably because she pretty much felt she could win and had absolutely no ties to the state does qualify her as a carpetbagger in most people's mind.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Still waiting on you to defend your assertion, "They don't like her." Any facts forthcoming?
If you had not been so nasty in your response you might not have had to wait.

But this is straight from NPR. i.e. The King would only take 33% of the vote there and it's only gone downhill since. 2/3rds against is a lot of dislike.

Hillary Clinton Returns To A Very Different Arkansas : It's All Politics : NPR

Old 10-08-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I don't expect you to read this list of Hillary's accomplishments much less accept them for what they are, but I'm posting the link anyway. Here’s A List Of Hillary Clinton’s Accomplishments, So Quit Saying She Doesn’t Have Any «
I did read it. And I find it fascinating that you list accomplishments that leave out when she was a Republican. (maybe you didn't read it) But no matter.

Everyone has a resume. Even Adolph Hitler. It doesn't mean that you hold them in respect. It's what you did with the items on the resume that determine if respect is earned or not.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 10-08-2015 at 04:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies