Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 10:19 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,650,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

This is the way the libs work-

Take a relatively non existant problem, publicize it so that the public think it is the norm, then enact far leftist policy to "cure" the problem.

The liberal answer- a federal police force.

And the libs wonder why we call them totalitarians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 10:19 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Police brutality isn't rampant. Your example is just an example. There are 800,000 cops in this country who make millions of stops every week of every year without an issue. Find examples of bad cops. Of bad teachers. Of bad doctors. They're all out there. Only agenda driven morons don't understand that. Next time you run into trouble, call a crack head.
So why do you defend rogue cops? Why excuse abuse of power just because it's a small percent?

And BTW, I would rather call a crack head for help than an abusive cop.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:40 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,440,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And BTW, I would rather call a crack head for help than an abusive cop.
In what situation would you call either one?

Old 10-07-2015, 11:13 AM

50,744 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Another example of how local government is usually the most corrupt and/or incompetent government.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:19 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,671,947 times
Police brutality is, and has always been, a big problem in modern policing circles. The job requires a substantial ability to use physical force with some hope of a positive outcome for the law. Recruiting the kind of people who can demonstrate the kind of physical stamina required often includes an admitted disregard for the fact that some are going to be over-using that force at times. As a working cop you gotta be rough and ready in order not to be another crime victim yourself, fast and decisive action is often the key to your survival, mistakes are made in this scenario but mistakes are part of human nature.

Cops have demonstrated a propensity to believe in the "siege mentality", an us against them position with regard to their relationship to civilians while on the job. They all too often fraternize exclusively with others on the force giving them a heightened sense of social isolation, of course they are working with some of our worst people and that dims the fact of the majority populace being good people. There is a definite mindset that comes with being a police officer, sadly, they are in a world of violence that all too often rubs off on them.

Very few people have the kind of public scrutiny focused on them to the extent that the police have been subjected to, so the few bad apples get the news while the good deeds of the many go unnoticed. I've had my share of run ins with the bad cops, but that doesn't color my overall view of them as a force working to uphold our laws. Those who are hoping for a "saintly" element to arise in the US police forces are in for a long wait, we're an imperfect species, cops and all...

Old 10-07-2015, 12:44 PM

6,258 posts, read 5,065,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
1. So why do you defend rogue cops? Why excuse abuse of power just because it's a small percent?

2. And BTW, I would rather call a crack head for help than an abusive cop.
1. I didn't defend anyone. The title of the thread is "police brutality is rampant". The title of the thread is deliberately incorrect.

2. Go for it.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:53 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
There is no requirement for sheriffs to be elected, and many are not.
Also, what do you propose to do for cities which are not located inside a county? Or municipal ordinances which cannot be enforced by a sheriff?

the whole county served by the sheriff and their deputies, get rid of all police departments wholesale. municipal ord. should never overrule the state.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:01 PM

78,318 posts, read 60,517,579 times
OP, you aren't winning any hearts and minds by being dishonest in your own title.

Address the topic fairly, trying to "sexy it up" by calling it "rampant" just makes you look unfair and desperate.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:16 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
I certainly wouldn't say brutality was rampant. I'd say lying very well might be.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:47 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,017 times
I find it ironic that many of the people who think police brutality is rampant are the same ones who want to disarm the people as the police force is going to protect you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies