Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 09:55 AM

109 posts, read 68,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. A law suit by 1 person does not necessarily mean that what they are saying is accurate.

2. Do you know how unusual it is to file a restraining order and a no-trespass order against a parent? In 33 years of being a teacher and an administrator, that was never done in any school I was in. I suspect there is far more to this case than meets the eye.
Do you take the incident at the school in Georgia at face value, however?

Old 01-30-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I lean right, and I'm a Christian. I do NOT believe religion, of any sytkpe, belongs in public schools. Religion should not even be part of any historical study plan. The kids don't need to be comparing religious beliefs, or delving into dogmas. Teachers certainly should not be allowed to use classroom.s as a pulpit, or as a political platform to promote "diversity and multiculturalism either. The kids are there to learn to read, write, do their cyphers proper and as far as history goes, learn about where we were and where we are, sans religious content.
I don't think that is really possible. How do you teach the development of the Ottoman Empire without examining its Islamic roots? How do you explain why the Cultural Revolution in China was so onerous without students having knowledge of Confucianism or Bhuddism? How can anyone really understand the 17th Century in Europe or why people were in part initially coming to the New World without a background in Catholicism, the Reformation, and religious persecution? Religion in a historical context is essential to a well- rounded education.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:09 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgardian View Post
Not me. I don't have a dog in this game. You?
No I don't have a "dog in the game" but I will oppose any publicly funded school promoting religion whether it be Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Satanism, etc. I pay attention to issues outside my little world. I don't just focus on what affects me but others too. I don't think that means I'm worked up over it, just my stance.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:14 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,828 times
Quote:
I don't think that is really possible. How do you teach the development of the Ottoman Empire without examining its Islamic roots? How do you explain why the Cultural Revolution in China was so onerous without students having knowledge of Confucianism or Bhuddism? How can anyone really understand the 17th Century in Europe or why people were in part initially coming to the New World without a background in Catholicism, the Reformation, and religious persecution? Religion in a historical context is essential to a well- rounded education.
Teaching about a religion in a historical context is vastly different than using the classroom to further your own personal religious agenda. This teacher was clearly using the classroom to push hers. Thankfully what she did is illegal and the school will suffer the consequences of her actions.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Teaching about a religion in a historical context is vastly different than using the classroom to further your own personal religious agenda. This teacher was clearly using the classroom to push hers. Thankfully what she did is illegal and the school will suffer the consequences of her actions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
No I don't have a "dog in the game" but I will oppose any publicly funded school promoting religion whether it be Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Satanism, etc. I pay attention to issues outside my little world. I don't just focus on what affects me but others too. I don't think that means I'm worked up over it, just my stance.
You are consistent. That is commendable. Others here are not.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I was raised by an atheist and objected to starting the class with the Christian Lord's Prayer and saying "under God" as part of the Pledge of Allegiance. Even the Boy Scouts rejected me because I did not believe in their or any god.

Then I went to WAR and prayed to God but the God was not a Christian God. I survived that war so I suppose Old One Eye was watching or it may have been because I really was the meanest son of a ***** in the Valley.

Either way these teachers should not have been proselytizing in the classroom or discriminating against these children by making them a separate group to be set aside from the Good Proper Christians.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:44 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I was raised by an atheist and objected to starting the class with the Christian Lord's Prayer and saying "under God" as part of the Pledge of Allegiance. Even the Boy Scouts rejected me because I did not believe in their or any god.

Then I went to WAR and prayed to God but the God was not a Christian God. I survived that war so I suppose Old One Eye was watching or it may have been because I really was the meanest son of a ***** in the Valley.

Either way these teachers should not have been proselytizing in the classroom or discriminating against these children by making them a separate group to be set aside from the Good Proper Christians.
Agree. That is not what school is about.

There are certain Christians who believe that only THEIR version of worship is worthy to 'get you into heaven'.

I can remember growing up in the very deep South - where the parents of my Southern Baptist friends would tell me that i was going to hell because I was Presbyterian. Mainly because we didn't practice full immersion in water.

So, it can happen and absolutely should NEVER happen in school.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
There are certain Christians who believe that only THEIR version of worship is worthy to 'get you into heaven'.
This is true about virtually all Muslims. Islam means "submission" (to Allah).

Old 01-30-2016, 11:03 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Can they not teach religion without getting into personal beliefs? My teachers must have had some kind of special talent, they taught history & religion, without involving personal belief about God.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:15 AM

548 posts, read 473,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
There's a long thread here on C-D that talks about how persecuted Christians are in this country. How about when it's the Christians doing the persecuting?

In a public school in Georgia, a kindergarten and first grade teacher pushed their religious beliefs on the students, leading prayer sessions every day in class. When several parents complained, these teachers then proceeded to ostracize their children, separating them from the class, and even telling one child that he shouldn't listen to his mother because she was “a bad person for not believing in God.”

A civil rights group complained to the school district last year, but the teachers continued unabated until the FFRF filed a lawsuit. The civil rights group won in court and the school district was forced to tell the teachers to stop.

Georgia school pays up after teacher tells first-grader his mom is ‘bad’ because she doesn’t believe in God

Persecuting five and six year olds for the beliefs of their parents. How very Christian.
The Christian right is the worst thing to happen to America in the last century.

What is so hard to understand about the separation of church and state. Bunch of whiny Jesus freaks always think they're special and the rules don't apply to them.

Last edited by SupBro; 01-30-2016 at 11:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies