Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 05:58 PM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Why don't they use the same pill the doctor gives you to execute death row murders?
Honest officer She just decided to kill herself. Nope, she was real healthy and seemed to have a bright future. No, I didn't kill her.

The government refrain is to save people from themselves, no sugar, seat belts, no firecrackers, no dodge ball, no pictures of guns in the classroom, more labels on ladders and mattresses to prevent injury and death...and then they tell you, you can kill yourself if you want. Well, maybe just youself and a close family member.

Talk about getting the death sentence and being innocent....lawyers are salivating for the case when a doctor tells a patient he has 6 months to live and it was found to be a medical error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 06:18 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Honest officer She just decided to kill herself. Nope, she was real healthy and seemed to have a bright future. No, I didn't kill her.

The government refrain is to save people from themselves, no sugar, seat belts, no firecrackers, no dodge ball, no pictures of guns in the classroom, more labels on ladders and mattresses to prevent injury and death...and then they tell you, you can kill yourself if you want. Well, maybe just youself and a close family member.

Talk about getting the death sentence and being innocent....lawyers are salivating for the case when a doctor tells a patient he has 6 months to live and it was found to be a medical error.
You clearly haven't the vaguest how physician-assisted suicide laws work.

Edited to add - the first such law, in Oregon, was passed by a citizen's initiative and reaffirmed by referendum. IOW, it originated within the citizenry, not from any government agency nor the legislature.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:50 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

Unlike suicides, a person who receives a terminal diagnosis usually wants to live, so they aren't going to "take a pill" until their suffering becomes unbearable.......something that is unlikely to happen unless the diagnosis is correct.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:33 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Unlike suicides, a person who receives a terminal diagnosis usually wants to live, so they aren't going to "take a pill" until their suffering becomes unbearable.......something that is unlikely to happen unless the diagnosis is correct.
Have you ever had a close relative that was pronounced brain dead and was already on feeding tubes? Have you ever waited days from the time that the doctors pulled the tubes until your relative died? We do not treat our dogs that poorly. If we did it would make national news and they would throw us in jail and loose the key! But that is what is legal without legalized euthanasia. My father died that way and I had an aunt that died that way! It means days of being at their bedside and not knowing if their next breath will be their last.

If the patient is so bad off that they do not have brain activity; it is time to let go and let go quickly and painlessly. Of course that is with prior consent from the individual when they were of sound mind. All of us should have that 'right'.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:55 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Have you ever had a close relative that was pronounced brain dead and was already on feeding tubes? Have you ever waited days from the time that the doctors pulled the tubes until your relative died? We do not treat our dogs that poorly. If we did it would make national news and they would throw us in jail and loose the key! But that is what is legal without legalized euthanasia. My father died that way and I had an aunt that died that way! It means days of being at their bedside and not knowing if their next breath will be their last.

If the patient is so bad off that they do not have brain activity; it is time to let go and let go quickly and painlessly. Of course that is with prior consent from the individual when they were of sound mind. All of us should have that 'right'.
I totally agree.

If we treated our pets at the end of their lives like we treat people, we would be told we are being cruel.

We turned down extraordinary care when both my mother and father died. In both cases, we could have kept them alive and suffering for months if we chose to.

If you love them, you will let them go.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:42 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
I think this law is great! Brown is like 89 years old. Maybe he will take advantage of his new law and stop destroying the state.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:14 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I totally agree.

If we treated our pets at the end of their lives like we treat people, we would be told we are being cruel.

We turned down extraordinary care when both my mother and father died. In both cases, we could have kept them alive and suffering for months if we chose to.

If you love them, you will let them go.
Nobody really thinks about what we do to our elderly. First they go to the hospital and then, when the end is near, we send them to the hospice to die. But the hospice simply keeps them 'comfortable' with meds, soothing music, and meets their religious needs. Maybe I'm wrong; but I don't think people walk out of the hospice?

When patients can no longer feed themselves our doctors can order feeding tubes or not (depending on the patient's wishes when they were of 'sound' mind). However, the net effect is that we starve our elderly to death. Either they start that process when we don't install the tubes or when the doctors decide to pull the tubes.

You have to be mentally unstable or a religious 'nut' case to want to die this way. While starvation is 'natural'; death is also natural. Like I said before: we treat our pets better. We worry about our pets and we worry about our criminals on death row - we do not worry about our own 'end'.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:03 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Yes, something that Republicans are perpetually against....unless a gun is involved.
Republicans would rather you not take your life with a gun either!

As a Republican I support this, it's not that it's healthy people taking their lives......at least I hope this isn't a plan down the road.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:20 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You still don't know what you're talking about.

It's been legal in Oregon for nearly 20 years.

Passed by a citizen's initiative. Twice, because nay-sayers like you forced a second vote. The second vote won by a larger margin than the first.

In case you care to learn something, try here - Death with Dignity Act
California is not Oregon. I have no problem if a sick person wants to die but I don't trust California's government to just let it be without getting their dirty little finger in it. I don't know what I'm talking about but you are posting about Oregon LOL. Good luck with that.

Last edited by Roaddog; 10-09-2015 at 06:54 AM..

Old 10-09-2015, 07:41 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
California is not Oregon. I have no problem if a sick person wants to die but I don't trust California's government to just let it be without getting their dirty little finger in it. I don't know what I'm talking about but you are posting about Oregon LOL. Good luck with that.
OK, so tell me. Exactly what do you mean by fearing that the gov will be "getting their dirty little finger in it"?

The request for the medication originates with the person. The person then must find two doctors who will verify that they have 6 months or less to live. The person must then buy the prescription. Once the prescription s obtained, the person must then decide to take it. The person must then take it her/him self - no one else is allowed to administer it.

Where in all this does the gov interfere????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies