Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 09:29 PM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Explain "assault weapon". The law in the US would have banned weapons on their looks and not their function. By adding a few accessories a muzzle loader would be classified an "assault" weapon.
This is true, add a thumb hole stock, pistol grip or flash "hider" and a musket is now an assault weapon in the eyes of Di Fi. Toss in a shoulder thingy that goes up... whoa...terror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 09:34 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,027,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Perhaps you didn't read my post.
I said nothing about walking one's dog in a park.
I stated if one were afraid of an intruder into one's house, they should get a German Shepherd(not a Doberman pincher) to ward off an intruder.

Trust me, a Shepherd instinctively senses danger, and reacts in an extremely combative position, especially to intrusion.
Any one would be a fool to try and go up against a Shepherd.
Why do you think they are the number one choice of police departments through out the country?
There is a reason for that.

Bob.
Have you ever seen a German Shepherd get shot with a 9mm handgun? I sure have, I served with quite a few K9s during my years in the sand and I had the great displeasure of seeing one shot and killed by a guy with a 9mm while the K9 was in a full sprint wearing protective gear and two well placed/lucky 9mm handgun rounds stopped him in his tracks and he was dead before anyone could get to him within 60 seconds.

I've got all the respect in the world for the capability and heart of a well trained dog, they're priceless for home defense. That being said, a dog's best trait is to warn you and wake you up when someone is trying to break into your home. If my dog is able to deter the invader(s) then great but if he ends up dead he still did his job and I'll be in a defensive position upstairs waiting for whoever made the mistake of breaking into my home because of the warning he gave me. I don't have a Shepherd but I do have a well trained dog that I wouldn't want to cross in the dark without him knowing me, there's no chance in hell that I would trust him to be my only means of home defense.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:36 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,027,960 times
Quote:
You are absolutely wrong.
No black market in guns would spring up, because the penalty from being caught with a gun would be 10 years, or life in prison with out parole.
There goes the incentive for a black market.

Don't kid yourself there is no such thing as "never".
Many are already giving this amendment a lot of consideration.

Bob.
The current penalty for murder is a lot worse than 10 years or life in prison and people are still murdered daily in this country so that doesn't seem to deter them.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:39 PM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Have you ever seen a German Shepherd get shot with a 9mm handgun? I sure have, I served with quite a few K9s during my years in the sand and I had the great displeasure of seeing one shot and killed by a guy with a 9mm while the K9 was in a full sprint wearing protective gear and two well placed/lucky 9mm handgun rounds stopped him in his tracks and he was dead before anyone could get to him within 60 seconds.

I've got all the respect in the world for the capability and heart of a well trained dog, they're priceless for home defense. That being said, a dog's best trait is to warn you and wake you up when someone is trying to break into your home. If my dog is able to deter the invader(s) then great but if he ends up dead he still did his job and I'll be in a defensive position upstairs waiting for whoever made the mistake of breaking into my home because of the warning he gave me. I don't have a Shepherd but I do have a well trained dog that I wouldn't want to cross in the dark without him knowing me, there's no chance in hell that I would trust him to be my only means of home defense.
Ol Bob must not care about people that live in apartments or HOAs that can't have dogs. Mighty selfish if you ask me.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:40 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Rbohm, I am putting in quotes one sentence from one of your post.

" if they had intended the term "the people" to mean the militia, then they would have said "the militia".

You best go back and read the amendment.

It starts with, "A well regulated militia".

Bob.
you again prove how WRONG you are. lets go through the entire amendment shall we?

a well regulated militia, being necessary to a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

let us AGAIN look at what the founding fathers meant by well regulated militia. well regulated in that time meant in good working order. it did NOT mean government control. in essence what they want was a citizen militia to become the military as needed in a time of war. otherwise they were doing what they normally did to make a living.

but then note that they also put in the right of the people to keep and bear arms. in this case they did NOT mean the militia, which was made up of the people anyway, they meant the people, the citizens of the country.

so while they were recognizing that a militia was needed to secure the state, they also recognized the right of the people individually as well. you need to stop listening to the liberal law professors, and read what the founding fathers actually said about this amendment. they WANTED the PEOPLE to be armed. they didnt want subjects, they wanted citizens. they didnt want an overbearing government, they wanted a government that was afraid of the people, and they wanted a government to SERVE the people, not the other way around.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:45 PM

32,052 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
So what do you do if someone breaks into your home? Hide and whimper? Call out "take what you want but don't hurt me!"
Most break into homes in the middle of the night. You don't need a gun unless you keep it under your pillow and keep one eye open at all times lol I think the ones who can't get to their guns are more likely to hide and whimper because they have no idea what to do without them. How about relying less on guns to protect you. There are many ways to protect yourself

Old 10-09-2015, 09:50 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,943,762 times
You might as well hit yourself with a hammer as to argue with an anti-gunner.

The only thing that will change their minds is after they or someone they love is harmed or robbed by barbarians.

Get a dog indeed. Har, har, har.

Get a .45.

Last edited by jamies; 10-09-2015 at 10:03 PM..

Old 10-09-2015, 09:52 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Most break into homes in the middle of the night. You don't need a gun unless you keep it under your pillow and keep one eye open at all times lol I think the ones who can't get to their guns are more likely to hide and whimper because they have no idea what to do without them. How about relying less on guns to protect you. There are many ways to protect yourself
ever hear of alarms? and if someone breaks into my house at night, they had best be looking for money to pay for their casket.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:01 PM

32,052 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
ever hear of alarms? and if someone breaks into my house at night, they had best be looking for money to pay for their casket.
Alarms aren't the topic. And good grief, if someone breaks in while you are asleep, how does your gun help you when they are in your bedroom.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:09 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,943,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Wrong Natalie. Most break ins occur in daytime when folks are away. Most shootings at home occur at night, cause armed owners are home. As for hiding and wimpering. You might, but I'll be ripping their throat out... And eating it! But it's easier to just shoot the slime in the face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies