Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2015, 09:59 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you never get measles how will you die from it?
Homeopathy. The most strongest measles virus is the one that never even gets inside your body.

Have you seen the data for the drop in measles deaths in the third world? All due to vaccines.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:25 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Homeopathy. The most strongest measles virus is the one that never even gets inside your body.

Have you seen the data for the drop in measles deaths in the third world? All due to vaccines.

Not only the drop in measles deaths, there is also a drop in deaths from other infections, too, because the vaccine prevents the damage to the immune system caused by the measles virus:

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org...t-the-measles/

"'In some developing countries, where infectious diseases are very high, the reduction in [overall, not just measles] mortality has been up to 80 percent,' says says Michael Mina, a postdoc in biology at Princeton University and a medical student at Emory University."

The drop happens everywhere when measles vaccination is introduced; it is especially dramatic in countries where the health infrastructure is weak and diarrheal diseases and pneumonia kill when they might not in first world countries.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:51 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
No vaccine is 100% effective. How are you to know who will not be immune after the vaccination? How do you know how long immunity will last? Vaccinated people from the Disney outbreak still got measles. I believe it was 3 out of the 5 Disney employees were vaccinated for measles. The Washington woman with the compromised immune system was vaccinated for measles in childhood. Then you get into the travel problem. What happens when these people get on a plane and go to a foreign country where measles hasn't been eradicated. They are supposedly fine because they were vaccinated, but don't know that they are not immune, and catch measles overseas? This happened twice with NYC people recently.

What is your solution?
Exactly what we've been telling you all along. This is why people need to get vaccinated and need to get their boosters. Doing so keeps those who aren't immune safe. Has it ever occurred to you that one of the reasons you haven't had the flu recently is because other people have gotten their flu shots and since they don't get sick, you don't get sick?

And speaking of which, I got my flu shot today. I have a slightly sore arm that is already feeling much better. I'm not sick, I'm not feverish, I'm not getting autism, I'm not dying of mercury poisoning. Mainly I got the flu shot because some of my friends in Florida and Georgia are reporting a flu going around down there that is particularly nasty. Many people have spent a week to 10 days in bed. I'd rather get a shot then be sick for a week. Hopefully, if the shot matches the strain going around, I won't get sick. If it doesn't, then perhaps I wouldn't be as sick as I would be if I hadn't gotten any shot. If I do get sick, at least I know I've tried to do something about my situation rather than roll over like a whipped dog and do nothing.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:10 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^This thread is not about mandates; it's about declining herd immunity.
Anti-Vaxxers Are Destroying the Herd Immunity They Rely On - The Daily Beast
They are NOT relying on Herd Immunity because they would prefer to GET the disease and naturally acquired immunity from it. That is what you do not understand coming from the medical field. Prevention, prevention, prevention. "We" need to prevent all sickness and illness with vaccinations and every possible test around. Vaccinations are only one part of the entire package of "preventive care" being pushed today. Ching, ching. You only have to look at what is covered under the ACA, and Medicare, to see that very long list of what people are now supposed to go to doctors for.

Some people not only prefer to use more natural methods, but also to get sick to built up their own natural immunity rather than artificially created immunity. When you get these actual diseases, are you getting a whole bunch of chemicals with the virus?

I agree with everything Miss Terri said in another post.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:28 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Exactly what we've been telling you all along. This is why people need to get vaccinated and need to get their boosters. Doing so keeps those who aren't immune safe. Has it ever occurred to you that one of the reasons you haven't had the flu recently is because other people have gotten their flu shots and since they don't get sick, you don't get sick?

And speaking of which, I got my flu shot today. I have a slightly sore arm that is already feeling much better. I'm not sick, I'm not feverish, I'm not getting autism, I'm not dying of mercury poisoning. Mainly I got the flu shot because some of my friends in Florida and Georgia are reporting a flu going around down there that is particularly nasty. Many people have spent a week to 10 days in bed. I'd rather get a shot then be sick for a week. Hopefully, if the shot matches the strain going around, I won't get sick. If it doesn't, then perhaps I wouldn't be as sick as I would be if I hadn't gotten any shot. If I do get sick, at least I know I've tried to do something about my situation rather than roll over like a whipped dog and do nothing.
No, do you have amnesia? I have said that my husband had the flu. I have said that in school I have held little children with the flu wiping their snotty hands on my face. I was protected by other people's flu shots????? Just "lucky", but even if my luck runs out, so what? I am not afraid of getting the flu. I am not afraid of getting sick. That is what you cannot understand.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Logical and well done. Unfortunately the anti-vaxers will never change their minds until someone close to them gets sick and dies from a preventable disease.

Those days are coming sooner than later because of the illegal immigrants and travel to and from 3rd world countries.
Thanks for the compliment. You have nothing to worry about with immigration from Central/South America. Most of those countries have immunization rates at least as high as the US'. Certainly higher than many areas in the US with a lot of opt-outs.

Quote:
They are NOT relying on Herd Immunity because they would prefer to GET the disease and naturally acquired immunity from it. That is what you do not understand coming from the medical field. Prevention, prevention, prevention. "We" need to prevent all sickness and illness with vaccinations and every possible test around. Vaccinations are only one part of the entire package of "preventive care" being pushed today. Ching, ching. You only have to look at what is covered under the ACA, and Medicare, to see that very long list of what people are now supposed to go to doctors for.

Some people not only prefer to use more natural methods, but also to get sick to built up their own natural immunity rather than artificially created immunity. When you get these actual diseases, are you getting a whole bunch of chemicals with the virus?

I have to disagree with this bold. Reading the threads here, and there are many about flu scattered all over CD, a lot of people say, "I don't need a shot. I never get the flu". As suzy_q said, the only immunity you get from a case of flu is to that particular virus. As a flu shot provider, the story I've heard many times is "I never got flu shots until I got the flu one time. Now, I won't skip it. I don't want that again." I've seen that on CD and other message boards as well. There is no natural method to prevent flu, other than infection, and that only covers you for the flu you had.

You are getting way more chemicals in your every day environment than you'll ever get in a flu shot, even if you get one every year.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:08 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Thanks for the compliment. You have nothing to worry about with immigration from Central/South America. Most of those countries have immunization rates at least as high as the US'. Certainly higher than many areas in the US with a lot of opt-outs.

I have to disagree with this bold. Reading the threads here, and there are many about flu scattered all over CD, a lot of people say, "I don't need a shot. I never get the flu". As suzy_q said, the only immunity you get from a case of flu is to that particular virus. As a flu shot provider, the story I've heard many times is "I never got flu shots until I got the flu one time. Now, I won't skip it. I don't want that again." I've seen that on CD and other message boards as well. There is no natural method to prevent flu, other than infection, and that only covers you for the flu you had.

You are getting way more chemicals in your every day environment than you'll ever get in a flu shot, even if you get one every year.
That's me. The sickest I've ever been was with the flu. I was utterly miserable and missed a week of work. No thanks.

As far as the worry about "chemicals," the universe is made of chemicals. Some combinations of chemicals kill you (think rat poison) and some, like vaccines, can save your life, or at the very least prevent you from getting ill. To skip a vaccine because of the "chemicals" is pure ignorance.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:10 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:

What about the people whose immune systems are compromised and they can't get the vaccine? The people who are most at risk for complications from measles, the flu, whooping cough? I guess your response is "Screw them."

Old 10-15-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Illegal imigrants are less likely to spread disease than legal immigrants or tourists. Having fewer resources and feeling vulnerable they tend to stay in one spot. It's we rich folk who fly to Copenhagen via Frankfurt and walk through a room ten minutes after a Ghanaian with measles did who'll be bringing it back to you.
Even that isn't the usual way these diseases are spread from immigrants/tourists. The American tourist is usually unimmunized him/herself. In Copenhagen or Frankfort, s/he comes in contact with a local who is contagious, either with the disease or immediately prior to getting sick. With measles, you can be contagious for four days before rash appears. There is a bigger anti-immunization movement in many European countries than in the US. They've had a lot of measles. Then that tourist returns to the US. Don't blame the Ghanaian.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:29 AM

Good news for herd immunity! From Immunize Colorado: More Colorado kindergarteners are fully immunized | Chalkbeat
"Last year, 73.4 percent of kindergarteners were up-to-date on required shots, up from 63.7 percent the previous year, according to an annual survey conducted by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies