Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2015, 07:49 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
All these people look far too YOUNG to even be recommended for your Shingles Vax. Maybe you better tell the CDC to give it to everyone who ever had chicken pox, regardless of their ages.
But, but, Jo! You said shingles is just a minor rash! Regardless of the ages of the people in the photos, those are not "minor" rashes.

Here's one of a 90 year old man. Old enough for ya?

http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2013/03...ingles-vaccine

Quote:
I was with both my husband and SIL when they had shingles. I was putting lotion on my husband's back for days. While I could only go by what he told me it felt like, I certainly could see what it looked like. I felt that rash with my hands.

It never spread or got bigger. That was about 3 years ago. It never came back and he hasn't had any pain from it. Neither has my 33 year old SIL.

They must be freaks because what they experienced is not what was supposed to happen, especially for a 33 year old. I doubt they would even GIVE a Shingles shot to somebody that young.
Your family members' experience was not typical. You are attempting to make it so.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:07 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
All these people look far too YOUNG to even be recommended for your Shingles Vax. Maybe you better tell the CDC to give it to everyone who ever had chicken pox, regardless of their ages.
I'm wondering how you can tell the age of "all" of these people since most of the pictures are torso/ upper body shots?

Old 10-30-2015, 08:21 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
I was with both my husband and SIL when they had shingles. I was putting lotion on my husband's back for days. While I could only go by what he told me it felt like, I certainly could see what it looked like. I felt that rash with my hands.

It never spread or got bigger. That was about 3 years ago. It never came back and he hasn't had any pain from it. Neither has my 33 year old SIL.

They must be freaks because what they experienced is not what was supposed to happen, especially for a 33 year old. I doubt they would even GIVE a Shingles shot to somebody that young.
So "I haven't personally seen it so it must not exist".

Gotcha.

I do personally know someone who suffered an extreme case of shingles. He was in excruciating pain with shingles in his eyes. Spent weeks in a dark room, unable to read or watch TV. About put him over the edge. He was 70 at the time, and reasonably healthy.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:04 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
The bottom line is that shingles is not contagious so you cannot use the slogan "do it to protect others". Cannot use guilt to protect others. Herd Immunity not applicable with this one. Same as with Tetanus. Both ONLY affect the individual person.

"It might be YOU". Well, it might be YOU who wins the lottery too. Same slogan. Statistically the majority of people in this country will die before either happens.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:32 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times
Quote:
First Blush: Early Symptoms of Shingles

The first picture is what my husband's and my SIL's Shingles Rash looked like. It never got any bigger even with neither going to a doctor for about a week. Yes, I would call this a MINOR rash in comparison to having big red hives from your feet to your eyelids.

Of course, in order to promote Shingles vaccination one must show use the worst cases. "This could be YOU". Fear sells.
Are you really trying to say that because the area covered by shingles rash can be small, that makes it less bad than a rash which covers a larger area? Really? Really? Surely not. No one could think such a statement was anything but embarrassing.

Yes, shingles is limited to the area of skin supplied by the spinal nerve it inhabits (this is called a dermotome). http://tlccrx.com/wp-content/uploads.../Dermatome.jpg It also looks very unimpressive, particularly in a small dermotome. However, pure nerve pain is agony, and I would take head to toe hives any day over the pain I experienced during and for years after I had shingles.

Mine looked like this and I distictly remember crying with the pain. Good thing my doctor wasn't Jo48!
http://www.shinglestreatmentinfo.com...d-shingles.jpg

Last edited by WildColonialGirl; 10-31-2015 at 06:41 AM..

Old 10-31-2015, 06:45 AM

37,103 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
The bottom line is that shingles is not contagious so you cannot use the slogan "do it to protect others". Cannot use guilt to protect others. Herd Immunity not applicable with this one. Same as with Tetanus. Both ONLY affect the individual person.

"It might be YOU". Well, it might be YOU who wins the lottery too. Same slogan. Statistically the majority of people in this country will die before either happens.
The virus in shingles blisters is contagious. Susceptible people can catch chickenpox (not shingles) from it.

One person in five will get shingles; the risk goes up to one in two if you live to age 80. Ten to 15% of those who get shingles will get post herpetic neuralgia (PHN), which can be severe and persistent, sometimes life long. The shingles vaccine reduces the risk of shingles by about half, but it reduces the risk of PHN by about two thirds.

Shingles

Feel free to skip the tetanus vaccine if you wish. It's a nasty disease with a high mortality rate, but you are correct that it is not spread person to person.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:

Nope. Roughly 1 in 3 will get shingles, and 1 in 5 will get port-herpetic neuralgia (mine lasted about five years, not madly bad, but unpleasant and annoying). That's 1 in 15 who'll get shingles and post herpetic neuralgia. Around 9%? I'd play a lottery with 9% odds of winning.

http://www.cdc.gov/shingles/surveillance.html

Oh, and even though I'm at lower risk of shingles since I've had it before, I'll be getting the vax on my 50th birthday.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I think you're referring to rubella (German measles) not rubeola (hard measles) at least in the case of a blood test during pregnancy. Your situation is unusual, but it happens. It's entirely possible that what you had a age 3 was not measles or rubella either. There are lots of rash diseases and many are misdiagnosed.
I had titres done for measles and mumps as well as rubella when planning pregnancy. Or, if once they saw she wasn't immune to rubella they checked her measles and mumps levels too.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Please give generously to anyone Trick or Treating for Unicef tonight. The money goes towards vaccines, among other things.
http://www.unicefusa.org/trick-or-treat

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-31-2015 at 06:44 PM..

Old 11-02-2015, 02:01 PM

6 posts, read 4,438 times
When a measles vaccine came out in 1963, I got vaccinated. When a mumps vaccine came out in 1966, my Mom had me vaccinated. In 2006, I had my doctor give me two doses of the MMR vaccine just to be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies