Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 05:58 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It is called high rising terminal and is also common in Australia and parts of Britain and Canada.

It is pretty much a feminine trait in American dialects and especially common in younger women.

While that demographic may correlate to liberal attitudes, it really has nothing to with politics.

Hmmmmm....................... again- just listen to the average liberal. They usually have this higher note inflection at the end of a sentence, almost like they are asking a question or are unsure of themselves.

I had no idea it was called, "uptalking", but is certainly common among libs of either sex. One has the sense of a feminine manner of talking with this quirk, even among the men using it.

I actually like to listen to NPR, but those voice inflections of the people they interview or thier guests is too irritating, due to that weird inflection. Once I hear that voice characteristic, I have to turn off the radio.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:59 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
This is what I always thought, but I never labeled them left or right, just annoying.
Not every liberal talks like that but almost everyone who does talk like that is a liberal.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:00 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
NPR is more "low talkers."

And slow talkers.

Try to adjust your brain from them to CNBC closing bell usually takes me a minute.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:00 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Now it's apparently an issue for bubble-headed conservatives running out of straws in their whine boxes.

Say what you want. However, if you really listen to the average liberal or conservative, most of the liberals use this voice cadence. It is really irritating and suggests that the speaker is very unsure of thier message. Linguistically, it is like a cowering puppy looking for affirmation and praise, but manifest in "uptalking" (gee...........now I know what it is called), rather than sulking with its tail between its legs.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:06 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Sarah Palin does an excellent job of using this type of speech inflection, Cruz is also pretty good at it.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:23 AM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I noticed it first in 20-something women about a decade ago. Someone told me they did it because the up-talk sounded like a question and was less threatening to men.

Now even young men do it, as well as a lot of the TV newscasters.
That's stupid. Why would they want to sound uncertain and "less threatening" to men? I assume you are talking about women in the workforce, so this would seem like exactly the opposite of how they should be talking if they want to be taken seriously by their co-workers. If it's perceived as b*tchy, oh well. Better b*tchy than uncertain.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:41 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That's stupid. Why would they want to sound uncertain and "less threatening" to men? I assume you are talking about women in the workforce, so this would seem like exactly the opposite of how they should be talking if they want to be taken seriously by their co-workers. If it's perceived as b*tchy, oh well. Better b*tchy than uncertain.
You generally don't hear it from women in management, though there are probably exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies