Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Army Traitor Bowe Bergdahl Go To Prison
Yes One Year 6 5.08%
Yes Five Years 10 8.47%
Yes Ten or More years 66 55.93%
No Prison 10 8.47%
No Prison. He already spent his time in hell. 11 9.32%
No Prison He's a hero. 5 4.24%
other 9 7.63%
not sure 1 0.85%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 08:45 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
If you can even consider a question from an unprejudiced point of view:

Bergdahl is now claiming a peaceful reason for deserting his post, to go and convince his superiors of the error of this was. The question is, did he really think that he alone could affect a change?

Why did he not attempt to convince at least some of platoon mates to go with him? More voices would certainly garner more attention than his alone. Why did he wait until the middle of the night to leave or not tell others of his "ethical" rational reasons for his actions?

IMO, he loan wolfed it because he is a coward and after being caught found that this benevolent group was anything but since he claims capture and torture. Surprise! We were fighting them for a reason.
Interesting testimony here:

""Nobody knows Bowe Bergdahl's story," said Terrence Russell, senior program manager for the Joint Personnel Recovery Center's Defense Department office at Fairchild Air Force Base in Spokane, Wash., who interviewed Bergdahl with a team of three others for weeks about his years in captivity. "They don't know what the facts are."

Reports that Bergdahl was a traitor or a coward were "crazy" and "outrageous," Russell said.
Russell said that he and the other debriefers, including an FBI agent, found Bergdahl to be truthful and helpful. "Everybody remarked on the quality of the information he was providing," he said. He was always trying to escape, Russell said, and managed it briefly twice, once eating grass to survive."

Testimony from others, according to the article, are also more positive than I expected.

Closing statements: Should Bergdahl be court-martialed, or are charges too harsh? - Stripes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 10:01 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Or his testimony just go to show how well briefed by his captors he was to make his lies believable.

Another probability: those debriefing him chose to support his story so that the CIC would look less the fool for the deal he made.

Stick to the charges: did he leave his unit without permission in the middle of the night? Desertion, plain and simple.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:06 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Correct me if I am wrong, I thought The Article 32 procedure is the military equivalent of a civilian grand jury, except that the accused has quite a few more rights. Unlike a typical grand jury, the Article 32 is presented before a single hearing officer, not held in secret, allows defense counsel to be present and to cross-examine witnesses, and to call their own. All of this occurred at Bergdahl’s hearing.

Very obvious that Bergdahl gets what he deserves. His ass should be put in military prison because soldiers died because of him.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:23 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Or his testimony just go to show how well briefed by his captors he was to make his lies believable.

Another probability: those debriefing him chose to support his story so that the CIC would look less the fool for the deal he made.

Stick to the charges: did he leave his unit without permission in the middle of the night? Desertion, plain and simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, I thought The Article 32 procedure is the military equivalent of a civilian grand jury, except that the accused has quite a few more rights. Unlike a typical grand jury, the Article 32 is presented before a single hearing officer, not held in secret, allows defense counsel to be present and to cross-examine witnesses, and to call their own. All of this occurred at Bergdahl’s hearing.

Very obvious that Bergdahl gets what he deserves. His ass should be put in military prison because soldiers died because of him.
From the link I posted above:

"The major general charged with an exhaustive investigation into Bergdahl’s disappearance also testified Friday, saying that the soldier left his post believing that his absence would force authorities at nearby FOB Sharana to listen to his concern that his command was incompetent and was putting his unit in danger.

With that as his motive, Maj. Gen. Kenneth Dahl said that sending Bergdahl to jail, if he were court-martialed on desertion and misbehavior charges and convicted, would be wrong.

"I think it would be inappropriate," he testified.
Dahl also testified that, based on his investigation, "There were no soldiers killed in searching for Sgt. Bergdahl.""

Old 09-22-2015, 11:04 AM

57,285 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

"The major general charged with an exhaustive investigation into Bergdahl’s disappearance also testified Friday, saying that the soldier left his post believing that his absence would force authorities at nearby FOB Sharana to listen to his concern that his command was incompetent and was putting his unit in danger.

With that as his motive, Maj. Gen. Kenneth Dahl said that sending Bergdahl to jail, if he were court-martialed on desertion and misbehavior charges and convicted, would be wrong.

Dahl also testified that, based on his investigation, "There were no soldiers killed in searching for Sgt. Bergdahl.""
That is a very powerful statement from an impartial investigator that interviewed him for several weeks with the FBI.

It will probably take a few weeks to reach their final decision

Old 09-22-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Okay. I don't believe him.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:48 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:

It's still ****ing desertion! Why do those on the Left CONSISTENTLY defend the most outrageous and disturbed criminals? Why?????????

Old 09-22-2015, 01:02 PM

57,285 posts, read 26,206,502 times
There have been around 20,000 desertions since 2000, only around 2000 have been prosecuted and only a small fraction of them were sentenced to prison. Many received dishonarable discharges,losss of pay, reprimand, reduction in rank. There were a few that deserted overseas but it appears most deserted from the states and spent their time in relatively nice places compared to Bergdahl, 5 years with the Taliban is punishment enough.

If he was aiding the enemy that's another story.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
, 5 years with the Taliban is punishment enough.

Most of us know that we don't have what it takes to be in the military, Most of us know that we can only be keyboard warriors, not real warriors.

Mr. Bergdahl, however, put other people's lives in jeopardy. And 5 years with the Taliban is really what he asked for. He cannot blame anybody else but himself.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:32 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There have been around 20,000 desertions since 2000, only around 2000 have been prosecuted and only a small fraction of them were sentenced to prison. Many received dishonarable discharges,losss of pay, reprimand, reduction in rank. There were a few that deserted overseas but it appears most deserted from the states and spent their time in relatively nice places compared to Bergdahl, 5 years with the Taliban is punishment enough.

If he was aiding the enemy that's another story.
He did aid the enemy. He got 5 top officials released in exchange for him.

Then. of course, there are still the desertion in the face of the enemy charges. Hard for anyone not bought and paid for to ignore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies