Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:14 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
hey I with you!

we don't swear allegence to the government.
we swear to uphold and defend the constitution.

I did that when I joined the navy oh so many years ago.
It was called an oath of office, if you'll recall. A government office, being in the Navy.

Quote:
but we are talking to people who have very different beliefs. they actually think members of congress have sworn to serve the government.

they think that's a valid argument.
You're still confused.

Some folks are very proud of their misconceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 11:19 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It was called an oath of office, if you'll recall. A government office, being in the Navy.

You're still confused.

Some folks are very proud of their misconceptions.
Hey Old Gringo, YOU are the one suggesting these Members of Congress swore to serve the federal government not me....

we have established you don't know the difference between that comment which you seem to be standing by, and swearing to uphold the constitution.

again... I cant help you if you don't know the difference.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Hey Old Gringo, YOU are the one suggesting these Members of Congress swore to serve the federal government not me....

we have established you don't know the difference between that comment which you seem to be standing by, and swearing to uphold the constitution.
We have established that you don't grasp that the Constitution is a governing document. Applied to the federal government, which operates under its restrictions. That includes the armed forces, which are federal agencies. You claim to have once been a member. Even having taken the oath of office. Of course, you're probably not alone in not grasping what that oath really meant.

Your chain of command, which you were also bound to obey, was headed by the Secretaries of Defense and the Navy, and ultimately, the president. All federal government officials, who took a very similar oath.

Quote:
again... I cant help you if you don't know the difference.
Thanks for sharing.

Carry on.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:12 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
We have established that you don't grasp that the Constitution is a governing document. Applied to the federal government, which operates under its restrictions. That includes the armed forces, which are federal agencies. You claim to have once been a member. Even having taken the oath of office. Of course, you're probably not alone in not grasping what that oath really meant.

Your chain of command, which you were also bound to obey, was headed by the Secretaries of Defense and the Navy, and ultimately, the president. All federal government officials, who took a very similar oath.

Thanks for sharing.

Carry on.

wow committed to it aren't you?

You know what else I was taught in boot camp then many times after it? That in defense of the United States of America and in defense of the constitution, I was to never follow an unlawful order.

and boy you compound your error!

The Constitution is THE Governing document. It is the thing we swear to uphold and defend. NOT as you try to claim "the government." YOU are the one that doesn't get it. YOU are the one that conflates government with constitution.

They are vastly different things. Not one single member of congress swears fealty to the government.

good grief.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:20 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,234,540 times
Quote:
We've all heard them refer to themselves as the "Freedom Caucus" and the "Tea Party" but the reality is that these clowns seem to consider the federal government (which they've sworn to serve) as some sort of alien power whose purpose is to oppress their benefactors.
They don't serve the government. They serve the public. Only a Liberal would make the statement you made.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:36 PM

865 posts, read 623,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Agreed, they do not view the government as "some sort of alien power whose purpose is to oppress their benefactors" as the OP suggests, they view many of the politicians in both political parties as corrupt, using their elected office as a means of enriching themselves and their political and corporate cronies.

It amazes me how liberals are all on board with the looting of the US Treasury by the crony corporatists in government. Are they blind to all this, or does their political party politics truly trump everything?
For democrats/liberals/progressives/communits/ect., it is absolutely 100% PARTY first. Unlike conservatives where it's country/liberty first.

It's a team sport for them.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
They don't serve the government. They serve the public. Only a Liberal would make the statement you made.

What you fail to understand is that the government represents the people. Thus we're a representative republic.

You can look it up.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
wow committed to it aren't you?
Says the guy who keeps posting his committed viewpoint.

Quote:
You know what else I was taught in boot camp then many times after it? That in defense of the United States of America and in defense of the constitution, I was to never follow an unlawful order.

and boy you compound your error!

The Constitution is THE Governing document. It is the thing we swear to uphold and defend. NOT as you try to claim "the government." YOU are the one that doesn't get it. YOU are the one that conflates government with constitution.
The Constitution is the blueprint for....

Quote:
They are vastly different things. Not one single member of congress swears fealty to the government.
All of them do. They are the elected government representatives serving as the people's presence in that government.

Quote:
good grief.
Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:20 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
The oath used today has not changed since 1966 and is prescribed in Title 5, Section 3331 of the United States Code. It reads: “I, AB, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”

Old 10-13-2015, 03:23 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,391 times
I think its great that GOP is having a huge debate about this issue. Look at the Democrats. They had one person, Pelosi, that was it. I'm all about change, debate, different people being in charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies