Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who won the first democratic debate?
Clinton 61 36.53%
Sanders 71 42.51%
O'Malley 4 2.40%
Webb 27 16.17%
Chaffee 4 2.40%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 09:25 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Actually I'd prefer someone who's not been a government "lifer" and who's pulled himself/herself up from nothing to successful and has some critical thinking ability.
Ben Carson comes to mind.
As for experience, there IS NO CLASS OR TRAINING to become president. Experience obviously doesn't matter hence our current president being elected.
Agreed, the ability to think critically -- very well -- should be one of the qualities we seek in the POTUS.

I think Obama has demonstrated that ability better than any president I have had ever voted for, but of course we will agree or disagree about that dependent entirely on what your political ideology is going to be. Why waste the time?

But to suggest Carson has that ability?

Okay, I will admit I have been somewhat impressed with how he has handled himself, how he has expressed his opinions/positions over time, in the GOP that was otherwise more of a circus show than a presidential debate (one of the least presidential spectacles I have ever witnessed), but then his comments about how America should not elect a Muslim president!

No matter who you are, from what party, regardless your religion, that has got to be one of the most stupid things any candidate has said yet! And no doubt Carson is regretting that foot-in-mouth even as he tries to go Trump with it and double-down on his stupidity for the sake of attention.

Surely that sort of nonsense and LACK of critical thinking does not a POTUS make, or "Lord have mercy on these Unites States of America!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 11:58 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,078,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Agreed, the ability to think critically -- very well -- should be one of the qualities we seek in the POTUS.

I think Obama has demonstrated that ability better than any president I have had ever voted for, but of course we will agree or disagree about that dependent entirely on what your political ideology is going to be. Why waste the time?
Obama????? Think very well????? The better question for Obama is why doesn't he "think" at all? In my observation, his mind seems to be so be so mixed-up and convoluted he can't remember today what he said yesterday and everything he does say is either bad, bad, bad or doesn't make sense at all!

Quote:
Okay, I will admit I have been somewhat impressed with how he has handled himself, how he has expressed his opinions/positions over time, in the GOP that was otherwise more of a circus show than a presidential debate (one of the least presidential spectacles I have ever witnessed), but then his comments about how America should not elect a Muslim president!
Your forgot to include the rest of his statement that he would not agree that any Muslim WHO BELIEVES IN AND SUPPORTS SHARIA LAW instead of the U.S. Constitution should be POTUS! Or do you think we should all support such a Muslim for President???? Ya know, kill you daughters if they befriend some boy that's not approved, stone wives to death for misbehaving and all the rest of Mohamed's laws giving men power over women who are to be treated like less than slaves, not to mention throwing away our Constitution which disallows all this Sharia Law!

Carson was dead-right...America does not ever want to even consider electing any Muslim to "ANYTHING" whose core, religious belief and way of life is ruled by Sharia Law. Our Constitution would never, ever let anyone of that ilk remain in office even if by some horror were to be voted into that office.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:10 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
Could not disagree more. Webb was the ONLY one of the 5 that showed any intelligence at all. He, at least, has some understanding of our Constitution and the freedom to be self-responsibile it guarantees every citizen...that is when we don't have an Obama idiot thinking he is king and can go around the Constitution with a flick of his so-called executive actions. I if we had had an intelligent and unbiased democrat Senate BO would have been impeached within a year of his Presidency.
That's because Webb is a former Republican and it shows in his ideals, your opinion is biased because you're more conservative leaning, but from a Democratic standpoint Webb is not a true Democrat in 2015.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:30 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Obama????? Think very well????? The better question for Obama is why doesn't he "think" at all? In my observation, his mind seems to be so be so mixed-up and convoluted he can't remember today what he said yesterday and everything he does say is either bad, bad, bad or doesn't make sense at all!

Your forgot to include the rest of his statement that he would not agree that any Muslim WHO BELIEVES IN AND SUPPORTS SHARIA LAW instead of the U.S. Constitution should be POTUS! Or do you think we should all support such a Muslim for President???? Ya know, kill you daughters if they befriend some boy that's not approved, stone wives to death for misbehaving and all the rest of Mohamed's laws giving men power over women who are to be treated like less than slaves, not to mention throwing away our Constitution which disallows all this Sharia Law!

Carson was dead-right...America does not ever want to even consider electing any Muslim to "ANYTHING" whose core, religious belief and way of life is ruled by Sharia Law. Our Constitution would never, ever let anyone of that ilk remain in office even if by some horror were to be voted into that office.

Why is it that liberals only quote the one line that they hear on liberal news, and never add the rest of that statement. If anyone wants to be an informed voter (and not follower of a given party) they need to hear the entire comment, in context and judge for themselves what was said.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:38 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Hillary also talks about the high costs of college, even while she charges hundreds of thousands of dollars for a 1/2 speech. Isn't that a bit hypocritical? Or, does she think the audience doesn't know, doesn't connect, and doesn't care.
It's a democrat moving lips, so whatever comes forth must be good.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

But to suggest Carson has that ability?

No matter who you are, from what party, regardless your religion, that has got to be one of the most stupid things any candidate has said yet! And no doubt Carson is regretting that foot-in-mouth even as he tries to go Trump with it and double-down on his stupidity for the sake of attention.

Surely that sort of nonsense and LACK of critical thinking does not a POTUS make, or "Lord have mercy on these Unites States of America!"
Here's the thing, if you take your very obvious partisan leanings out of it and actually listen to the whole conversation instead of out of context snippets/spin it makes perfect sense.
What belief system supports Sharia law, Muslim right? Would you want a president that believes Sharia law should replace the constitution? Dr. Carson doesn't think that someone who believes in/practices Sharia law is compatible with the U.S. Constitution that WE as a nation are ruled under. How is that incorrect?

If one believes that Sharia law should replace the constitution in any form or fashion then of course what Dr. Carson said was heinous.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
That's because Webb is a former Republican and it shows in his ideals, your opinion is biased because you're more conservative leaning, but from a Democratic standpoint Webb is not a true Democrat in 2015.
And what is the guy at the other end of the stage? You know, that guy that can't decide WHAT he is?

Old 10-19-2015, 07:36 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,078,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Here's the thing, if you take your very obvious partisan leanings out of it and actually listen to the whole conversation instead of out of context snippets/spin it makes perfect sense.
What belief system supports Sharia law, Muslim right? Would you want a president that believes Sharia law should replace the constitution? Dr. Carson doesn't think that someone who believes in/practices Sharia law is compatible with the U.S. Constitution that WE as a nation are ruled under. How is that incorrect?

If one believes that Sharia law should replace the constitution in any form or fashion then of course what Dr. Carson said was heinous.
Well said. I would add to your last paragraph that "if one believes that Sharia law should replace our American Constitution then that person should leave America and go to wherever Sharia law is the law of the land. I consider anyone believing this is a traitor to America and does not belong living in this country.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:31 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Default Carson, right or wrong...

Quote:

I would agree that we should not elect anyone POTUS who does not view the Constitution as our overriding law of the land, of course, right.

What is wrong with Carson's answer is that it singles out and alienates Muslims rather than simply ANYBODY who does not hold the Constitution the supreme law of the land. There are those who might argue that the Bible trumps the Constitution, but we don't hear anybody talking about how we should never elect a Christian who holds the Bible above the Constitution, even as we witness those who even practice and/or act on their faith in contradiction of the law.

Additionally, the problem is that the world is much divided today over these issues of faith. To further aggravate them with these sorts of comments strikes me as "stirring the sh*t-pot." Those so inclined should lick the spoon!

Old 10-19-2015, 09:28 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
No, He is a true Democrat. His ideals still fall within the party platform, we just disagree with him a lot more than the other candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies