Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 04:56 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,956,747 times

Advertisements

So Israel is there, and the Muslims and Jews are fighting...and fighting...and fighting...

And frankly I, like a silent majority of the planet, does not care. Let them fight over old pieces of decaying rock where they claim prophets did things in the name of their God a thousand years ago. None of my business.

But the more I look at Israel, where the Jews say that because they faced oppression they need to create a country of their own and did so in their ancestral homeland, I couldn't help but wonder what would happen if the Pagans did the same thing.

I mean, are you honestly going to argue that the Pagans of Europe were not oppressed? Witchcraft was illegal in England until the 1950s for crying out loud. Not the mention that little period of burning people at the stake, massacres, forced conversions, the Northern Crusades etc.

So if Jews have the right to reclaim their territory, why not Pagans?

What if the Wiccans and Druids were to get some guns, invade Cornwall and turn it into a Celtic Pagan nation, where Pagans could live free of persecution? Sure, it would involve kicking the native Christians out, but big deal. They can have a West Bank and a Gaza or move to England. After all, Pagans deserve a homeland like everyone else.

Or what about something even smaller? The Pantheon in Rome started as a Pagan temple. It is now a Catholic Church. What if an armed group of Roman and Greek Pagans were to storm it and start destroying all the Christian images and statues and said "you can keep everything else you've stolen from us, but we are taking our temple back?" Would the "Stand with Israel" crowd be okay with that? Or would they flip out over one little building being taken back?

The point I am getting at is that the pro-Israel crowd is all about religious motivation, not realistic politics or consistent secular arguments. You have the religious Jews on one side who think their Old Testament Devil-God promised them that strip of land, the Muslims who think their Koranic devil-God promised them that land and that their prophet went on a road trip to heaven from there, and the Christians who believe the Jews need to live there because they are going to be a plot device in the divine version of "Star Wars" in which they are the planet Alderaan who will be destroyed by the anti-Christ Death Star before Jesus comes back as Luke Skywalker in an X-Wing fighter and blows said anti-Christ Death Star up.

When looked at logically from the position of "they deserve a homeland", no other group is allowed to use that excuse. Hell, the Native Americans tried to take over little Alcatraz Island and the neocons wouldn't even have that! What, are you honestly going to argue that THEY don't deserve a piece of territory to call their own?

And I am not saying every Muslim, Christian and Jew is vested in that miserable piece of dust and sand. I have heard plenty of Jews say they wouldn't mind seeing Israel depopulated and turned into a nuclear waste dump so people would stop fighting over it, and my Sufi Muslim friend says it should given to the Dalai Lama to run because he has no stake in it at all and would be a fair ruler. But when some American neocon or Christian Zionist goes on and on about Israel, understand that it is all because of religious motivation, nothing more.

If it wasn't, then surely, they would have no objection to Pagans taking a much smaller part of their ancestral territory to become their homeland then the Jews of Israel did to create one of their own.

Oh, and plenty of religious right people were even angry about this, a story about Pagans building a NEW TEMPLE with NO ONE GETTING HURT.

Iceland's Asatru pagans reach new height with first temple - BBC News

If only Hypocrisy was a power-source, our species would have enough energy to colonize the whole galaxy.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:51 PM

15,583 posts, read 10,314,512 times
I suggest you educate yourself on the history of the Jews and why they need a homeland and will defend Israel unto death. Unless you are part of the 14 million, you wouldn't understand.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:03 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,649,532 times
What a stupid comparison.
If Italy was a colony of USA (for example) and the catholic Italians and the pagans were living in Italy, and not having good relationship, why not divide the country between them?

Old 10-14-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I suggest you educate yourself on the history of the Jews and why they need a homeland and will defend Israel unto death. Unless you are part of the 14 million, you wouldn't understand.

And I suggest you educate yourself on the history of the Pagans and why they need a homeland to defend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Crusades

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...inst_Neopagans

And let's just say that Israel does need a homeland because the Jews are being persecuted everywhere they go (ignoring that no one bothers them in the US, or Canada, or Mexico, or Argentina...) If that is the case, then would you root for the Pagans taking over Cornwall, the Isle of Man, Brittany or some other small strip of land that was once belonged to them? Or at least taking back the Pantheon, their building that they built that the Catholics stole from them?

Feel free not to answer, because the "stand with Israel" crowd never has a good answer to this one

Old 10-14-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
What a stupid comparison.
If Italy was a colony of USA (for example) and the catholic Italians and the pagans were living in Italy, and not having good relationship, why not divide the country between them?

Ah, that's exactly what I am saying. And dividing the country would mean some non-pagans lose their territory, as some non-Jews lost land when Israel was established.

And if you haven't noticed, Pagans are unliked almost everywhere with only Iceland really giving them any respect. So again, if the Pagans were to take back the Pantheon...would the Israel-and-American-flag-on-lapel crowd be okay with that like they were with the Jews seizing Jerusalem?

A country? "TAKE IT!"

A building? "THEY ARE TERRORISTS!"

Old 10-14-2015, 06:18 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,196,696 times
Which Pagans?

Old 10-14-2015, 06:19 PM

88,224 posts, read 84,144,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Ah, that's exactly what I am saying. And dividing the country would mean some non-pagans lose their territory, as some non-Jews lost land when Israel was established.

And if you haven't noticed, Pagans are unliked almost everywhere with only Iceland really giving them any respect. So again, if the Pagans were to take back the Pantheon...would the Israel-and-American-flag-on-lapel crowd be okay with that like they were with the Jews seizing Jerusalem?

A country? "TAKE IT!"

A building? "THEY ARE TERRORISTS!"
Although you do have a point about countries vs. buildings, lol, I think that's a bit Persecuted Patty about pagans being unliked almost everywhere. Except in heavily fundamentalist religious areas, nobody really cares. And plenty of non-pagans buy incense and jewelry and books or take classes at the pagan shops or else they would all go out of business.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:21 PM

88,224 posts, read 84,144,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Which Pagans?
Yes, and there's that. I don't think my friend's Wiccan mother would WANT the Pantheon.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:21 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,222,812 times
As far as I know, Pagans have not been slaughtered wholesale as recently as the twentieth century. Neither are they threatened with death daily by their neighbors. The Jewish people were given back the state of Israel after World War 2 for a reason.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:22 PM

15,583 posts, read 10,314,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
And I suggest you educate yourself on the history of the Pagans and why they need a homeland to defend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Crusades

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...inst_Neopagans

And let's just say that Israel does need a homeland because the Jews are being persecuted everywhere they go (ignoring that no one bothers them in the US, or Canada, or Mexico, or Argentina...) If that is the case, then would you root for the Pagans taking over Cornwall, the Isle of Man, Brittany or some other small strip of land that was once belonged to them? Or at least taking back the Pantheon, their building that they built that the Catholics stole from them?

Feel free not to answer, because the "stand with Israel" crowd never has a good answer to this one
Most of my extended family was murdered only for being Jews in the Holocaust, but my growing family survives and some live in Israel. That is all I need to say about your ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies