Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 07:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
What if the government helped out millenials by not charging any interest rate on federal student loans, increasing grants for college tuition, and give $50,000 - $100,000 towards a downpayment/mortgage purchasing home or investment purposes only? Our government helps out foreign countries, military people and many others still, so why not our millenials who are struggling?
Do you want this help before or after your European vacation ?

Vienna - Bratislava - Budapest - Prague - Rome - Munich 2 weeks trip in March

Old 10-16-2015, 07:11 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
What if the government helped out millenials by not charging any interest rate on federal student loans, increasing grants for college tuition, and give $50,000 - $100,000 towards a downpayment/mortgage purchasing home or investment purposes only? Our government helps out foreign countries, military people and many others still, so why not our millenials who are struggling?
“Do you think of your pension as WELFARE?” If your answer is a hell no, then how the hell the government is "helping out" military people? They earned their benefits.

No wonder some the Millennials are feeling the Bern LOL free free free free

I was born in 85, I can now understand why some older folks think this is an entitled generation.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:14 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytexan View Post
do you want this help before or after your european vacation ?

Old 10-16-2015, 07:16 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Troll thread.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:18 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Do you want this help before or after your European vacation ?

ROFL. Oh man that is just too much.

Talk about an entitled spoiled brat.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:35 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
As an older Millenial with excessive student loans, I'd say that the best way to help Millenials would be to reduce the interest rates on student loans. Some Graduate Loans exceed 7%, but at the same time private student loans can be sketchier. But for a graduate student who paid, say 100k for Law School while having a 7% interest compound for a three year stint of not paying on the principal is a harsh punishment to receive an education. We need educated youth to compete on a global level, but at what cost? we are bankrupting an entire generation who will impact an economy greatly when they aren't buying houses and living by the skin of their teeth in studio apartments. I should know, I've lived that life, worked my way out and am a partner at a very successful small business. But do it again? Idk. But we need people to make those plunges or we will sink even further than we already have globally.

Have you seen what a HS Diploma is anymore? I think you have to actively try NOT to graduate to not be a HS Grad in this day and age. My nephew is a freshman at a public high school and they do condensed courses for the failing students to make sure they graduate. Shockingly they all get A's in this condensed course.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:36 PM

865 posts, read 623,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I think the thing that makes me the most angry is that there ARE jobs out there, but these jobs are "beneath" them. While I was in the military, I had a wife and two toddlers. I worked for anything to make a few extra bucks when I wasn't on duty. I did some pretty disgusting work. I wish I could have said that a job was "beneath" me back then. NOTHING WAS...
Yep...when I was stationed at Elmendorf I did janitor work in an office building at night. At Ft. Meade I stocked shelves at a liquor store. Not necessarily "disgusting work", but it was back-breaking.

Cry me a river millennials.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:41 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
As an older Millenial with excessive student loans, I'd say that the best way to help Millenials would be to reduce the interest rates on student loans. Some Graduate Loans exceed 7%, but at the same time private student loans can be sketchier. But for a graduate student who paid, say 100k for Law School while having a 7% interest compound for a three year stint of not paying on the principal is a harsh punishment to receive an education. We need educated youth to compete on a global level, but at what cost? we are bankrupting an entire generation who will impact an economy greatly when they aren't buying houses and living by the skin of their teeth in studio apartments. I should know, I've lived that life, worked my way out and am a partner at a very successful small business. But do it again? Idk. But we need people to make those plunges or we will sink even further than we already have globally.

Have you seen what a HS Diploma is anymore? I think you have to actively try NOT to graduate to not be a HS Grad in this day and age. My nephew is a freshman at a public high school and they do condensed courses for the failing students to make sure they graduate. Shockingly they all get A's in this condensed course.
I always read a contract I am signing. What did you do close your eyes?

Old 10-16-2015, 07:55 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I always read a contract I am signing. What did you do close your eyes?
In those days we were all fed the lie that you can study what ever you want nevermind the cost. High schools did it all the way through graduate school. I'm actually glad I went, the cost is the issue. But that's beside the point, I can emphathize with Millenials they are getting shafted. College has inflated at an incredible rate thanks to guaranteed unlimited Federal Loans available to all pulses.

No excuses being made, I worked my way out of it and lead a very good lifestyle. The point being made is that we need to have educated workers, but we need them to be able to be educated without bankrupting them.

In this current economy you have few options, you can flip burgers, you can learn a trade that's usually hard on your body (and where I live, AZ, immigrants do for very cheap) or you can put yourself in debt to work in an office. I can't believe what they are charging for tuition these days. I paid 1/2 of what they do now and people are still going!

Old 10-16-2015, 08:46 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierceMarx View Post
Don't get conned into joining the military, OP. Ain't nothing noble about being a government funded baby killer for Halliburton and co.
Please go spew that crap somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies