Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2015, 11:56 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Let's assume you're right. Then why....

...are the millenials continuing to spend spend spend like there's no tomorrow? Why continue to make the SAME mistake?

...what are the millenials doing to fix the problem they inherited?

....how long will it take the uber smart millenials to fix what the stupid boomers did? Obama has been in office for almost 7 years and I've seen NOTHING even improved let alone fixed. The millenials have been the voting power for more than 7 years.

...When does the mess cease to be the mess of the previous generation and become the failure of the current generation?

There comes a point when you must admit you don't know how to fix it. We need to stop spending. People need to stop putting their hand out and start working to improve their own lives. And yes we need to raise taxes. There's no other way to deal with this mess no matter who created it. Playing the blame game accomplishes nothing. Either you can or cannot deal with the problem at hand. If you can't, step aside and let someone else try.
No matter who created it? Was it those who are just coming of political age or those who have been in power for decades?

Are Obamas voters solely Millennials?

Are you saying that at this point, the generation less than 35 is responsible for decades of problems?

Is Obama a millennial now? He was voted in by a majority of voters some who aren't Millennials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 11:56 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
But is this a result of an increasingly competitive global market or a dumbing down of an American Generation?
Dumbing down:
Quote:
"Conventional wisdom is that top U.S. students fare well compared to their peers across the globe. According to this line of reasoning, the US doesn’t make it on the list of the top 25 countries in math (or top 15 in reading) because America has higher poverty and racial diversity than other countries do, which drags down the national average.

Wrong.

The latest 2012 PISA test results, released Dec. 3, 2013, show that the U.S. lags among 65 countries (or sub country entities) even after adjusting for poverty."
Top US students fare poorly in international PISA test scores, Shanghai tops the world, Finland slips | Education By The Numbers
Quote:
Compared to previous American generations Millennials are much more tech savvy, liberal and creative.
No, they're not. Their test scores have decreased. You didn't read the Washington Post article.

"The ETS study noted that a decade ago the skill level of American adults was judged mediocre. “Now it is below even that.” So Millennials are falling even further behind."

All public knowledge. How is it that you are unaware?

Old 10-18-2015, 12:01 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Dumbing down:
Top US students fare poorly in international PISA test scores, Shanghai tops the world, Finland slips | Education By The Numbers
No, they're not. Their test scores have decreased. You didn't read the Washington Post article.

"The ETS study noted that a decade ago the skill level of American adults was judged mediocre. “Now it is below even that.” So Millennials are falling even further behind."

All public knowledge. How is it that you are unaware?
Millenials are USERS of technology/information where the generations that came before them were creators of technology/information. Yes they're very good at looking things up but they are not very good at coming up with original ideas. My students are much better than me at finding stuff on the internet but they are HORRIBLE at analyzing what they find and assessing whether or not it's good information. I read the book "In the Shallows: What the internet is doing to our brains" this summer and it explained a lot of what I see in my classroom.

Fortunately for the millenials and the generations beyond them there is a lot of information available. Theoretically we could coast for 100 years without creating new information. I just wonder what the job situation will look like. When all you do is use information how many employees do you really need looking it up? What happens when computers become smart enough to look it up for you? Up until now thinking was the realm of man. Computers are about to join us there. Robots are already doing the physical labor we used to do. What is the purpose of man in a world where computers think and robots perform physical tasks?

Old 10-18-2015, 12:09 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,088 times
Every generation complains about the generation or two that comes after them as being the worst yet. I do it myself with these damn kids these days who won't stay off my (digital) lawn.

15 Historical Complaints About Young People Ruining Everything | Mental Floss

Any Baby Boomers on here? Guess what, my grandparent's and great-grandparent's generations, hated, hated, hated your lousy excuse for a generation...you're all a bunch of freewheeling bums who ruined everything. But guess what, the Lost Generation already ruined everything in the 1920s(and so on)...

If the entirety of the Millennial Generation is really as bad as people like to claim on here(and not a member myself being on the other side of the Gen X cutoff)--then they have we have no-one to blame but the Baby Boomers and early Gen X generations that raised them.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Millenials are USERS of technology/information where the generations that came before them were creators of technology/information. Yes they're very good at looking things up but they are not very good at coming up with original ideas. My students are much better than me at finding stuff on the internet but they are HORRIBLE at analyzing what they find and assessing whether or not it's good information.
Exactly. And U.S. scores on international tests of various different measures (math, reading, science, technological problem-solving, thinking ability, etc.) reflect exactly such.

Look at how many dumbasses (looking at you Sanders supporters) who think we can have Scandinavian-style and European-style generous social and safety net programs without taxing extremely regressively like Scandinavian and European countries do to generate enough revenue to pay for those goodies.

If anyone doubts that, take a GOOD look at how it works...

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/mC1..._Labels_.0.jpg

I'll cite more, if requested.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Every generation complains about the generation or two that comes after them as being the worst yet.
Possibly, but now we have the actual data to prove that millennials are the least capable generation in years.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
No matter who created it? Was it those who are just coming of political age or those who have been in power for decades?

Are Obamas voters solely Millennials?

Are you saying that at this point, the generation less than 35 is responsible for decades of problems?

Is Obama a millennial now? He was voted in by a majority of voters some who aren't Millennials.
I'm saying that either they can fix them or they can't. Whining about who made the mess doesn't clean it up. That's all they seem to do. If they're not up to the job they need to step out of the way. Racking up more and more and more national debt is NOT the answer here yet that seems to be all Obama has done and all they call for (give us FREE STUFF...MAKE OUR LIVES EASIER is the battle cry of the millennial).

And yes I believe his voters are the millenials. They and the echo boomers have been the voting power for some time now. The boomers don't sway elections anymore.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Possibly, but now we have the actual data to prove that millennials are the least capable generation in years.
And who raised them? Who runs the schools and makes the decisions about education spending and priorities? They didn't raise themselves and only the oldest members of the Millennial Generation are just now even considering running for public office.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Generations go in cycles. The builders, the users and then the whiners who are followed by the builders, the users and the whiners... The baby boomers built, their children used and the millenials whine about what they don't have. Their children will become the next builder generation because they will see that sitting around whining about who made the mess doesn't clean it up. I wonder what they'll build with all the technology that will be available to them? I probably won't live to see it but my kids will. My kids are millenials BTW and the entitlement attitude that one of my dd's has is really getting to me. At least my youngest has figured out that her financial future rests in HER hands not the governments or mine. I'm batting 500. Lesson learned. Do too much for your kids and they grow up to be lazy whiners who expect things to be done for them. Sometimes you just have to give up on one generation and go on to the next one.

Actually, I think that most millenials will eventually figure out that whining about who made the mess does nothing for them and expecting that more and more money be spent on them is unreasonable. They'll either cut back their standard of living or figure out how to earn the living they want. Maybe a combination of both. This generation has serious expenses that I did not have when I was in my 20's/30's. I didn't have a cell phone bill, I didn't have a cable bill, I didn't have an internet bill, I didn't own a computer or a tablet. My phone bill was $20/month and that was a lot. Television was free. I didn't have to walk around with a $600 gadget in my back pocket that I replaced every year because a new one came out and I just HAVE TO HAVE THE NEW ONE. A lot of this has to do with unrealistic expectations. It's not student debt that is the problem. It's the price of the gadgets and constant internet access. Today family cable, internet and cell phone bills would pay for a college degree in 16 years and I DON'T trade my phone in as soon as the next one comes out or use ridiculous amounts of data.

Eventually they, like the generations before them, will figure out that you can't have your cake and eat it too. It takes time to build wealth and maybe you just can't afford all the toys right now.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 10-18-2015 at 12:31 PM..

Old 10-18-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
The baby boomers built, their children used and the millenials whine about what they don't have.
No, it was really the GI Generation(World War II-generation) and Silent Generation(1925-1945) that built up the post-World War II society and institutions, not the Boomers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies