Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 10:50 AM

27,137 posts, read 15,313,785 times

Advertisements

We should be done with the establishment poison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 10:51 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Honestly, how else would anyone take this job?
Do you not understand that his position is exactly why Trump is leading in the polls?

Those who have caused this are saying "our constituents back home want us to............" And Ryan and Boehner before him want them to shut up and go along with them putting the party ahead of those who voted for them. Or that is how they see it but they are wrong.

Quote:
The Freedom Caucus has made sure that nothing gets done in the House, and that was true even with Boehner bending over backwards to try to accommodation them. Unless that tiny minority is reigned in it will be just more of the same inter-party gridlock.
Thats simply not true. They said to Boehner that he promised the electorate that if they put the GOP in power he would address problems like illegal immigration. Some are saying that the party should live up to their promises but Boehner said no. They wanted to vote on legislation. It was Boehner saying no.

Quote:
I'm not a Ryan fan, but he's absolutely right about this. If they don't like these demands, then good-bye and good luck trying to find some other sap who can not only get elected to the position but is willing to put up with their crap for the next 14 months.
If Trump wins they are the ones with all the cards.

Quote:
I'd like to see them turn down Ryan's offer and force the House GOP into a coalition with the Democrats. Neutralize the Tea Party once and for all.
We agree, I hope they turn him down also.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:06 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
He is so refreshing and intelligent compared to that obama clown. I hope he gets all the approval and total support he needs to get the Rep. party cleaned up so we can have better election outcomes.
Can I get a sip of your kool-aid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
He loves being Chairman of Ways and Means - his goal is reformation of our Out of Control Bloated Tax Code.
I don't think many are aware that one of the main jobs of the Speaker is massive Fund Raising to elect the same Hostage Takers that are attempting to take over the House - Boehner spent 200 days fund raising in 2014.

Paul Ryan would have to give up all this family life to take on the thankless job of Speaker.
Ryan has specially stated he will not budge on family time. He will not spend weekends running around raising money. Funny the ones who aren't okay with that deal are the freedom party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I believe he will take the job, and I also believe I know why.
He has his eyes on 2020, and I am not talking about the television show on ABC.

Bob.
No way. If he has eyes on the White House this would be the worst political decision he could make. He won't be able to get anything done, both sides will hate him. He's basically falling on his own sword to take the Speaker position. It's why he won't do it if his terms aren't met.

Honestly if I were Ryan or any other Republican member of Congress that's not part of the Freedom party, I'd tell them to kick rocks and watch them burn as they shut down the government. They're only burning themselves at this point.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:07 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
He loves being Chairman of Ways and Means - his goal is reformation of our Out of Control Bloated Tax Code.
I don't think many are aware that one of the main jobs of the Speaker is massive Fund Raising to elect the same Hostage Takers that are attempting to take over the House - Boehner spent 200 days fund raising in 2014.

Paul Ryan would have to give up all this family life to take on the thankless job of Speaker.
The fund raising thing.........

It's another full time job.

Can't imagine why a father with young children would take this on.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:13 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The fund raising thing.........

It's another full time job.

Can't imagine why a father with young children would take this on.
Well, one of his demands is that it doesn't take him away from his family, which seems pretty unrealistic. My feeling is that he really doesn't want this job, but feels like saying so outright would be somehow letting the party down. So instead, he comes up with a set of demands that the Freedom Caucus would not possibly accept and they turn him down instead of him turning the party down.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:17 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The Freedom Caucus has made sure that nothing gets done in the House,
This is the only card they have. They are being marginalized by the "big money" so often complained about by people on both the left and the right. By complaining about what the Tea Party is doing you are in fact advocating for business as usual.

You don't have to support their politics but you should be supporting this.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:25 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is the only card they have. They are being marginalized by the "big money" so often complained about by people on both the left and the right. By complaining about what the Tea Party is doing you are in fact advocating for business as usual.

You don't have to support their politics but you should be supporting this.
They are a small minority that has held the House hostage for five years now. No, I don't support a minority that represents a minority of the electorate bringing the country to a stop and causing the country's credit rating to be downgraded because they have unrealistic demands.

They need to be marginalized, and they haven't been yet. I hope they remain recalcitrant and force the GOP to work with the Democrats. That would be the best outcome for the country.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:34 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
He is so refreshing and intelligent compared to that obama clown. I hope he gets all the approval and total support he needs to get the Rep. party cleaned up so we can have better election outcomes.
Christians ( I mean the real ones, not the hateful bigots) think Ryan is immoral.
Catholic Bishops Slam Proposed GOP Budget Cuts as 'Immoral'

Old 10-21-2015, 11:40 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
I guess it's a cross between a showdown at the OK Corral and an Elegant Escape. 254 GOP members and a group of 40 "super conservative" mostly newby CongressCritters that are holding the other 200+ as Hostages.

Paul Ryan tells House Republicans he will run, if conditions are met |Washington Post - 10/20/15 9pm

Ryan faced his colleagues — and his political future — at a private evening meeting of House Republicans in the Capitol basement. He said he would be willing to step up and meet the calls to serve, ending weeks of GOP leadership turmoil, as long as disparate factions moved in the coming days to unite around him.

“I hope it doesn’t sound conditional, but it is,” he said, according to members inside the room. He paused after saying the word “conditional,” they said, for effect.

Ryan’s allies say his conditions for becoming speaker are likely to include an understanding that he would have a free hand to lead without a constant fear of mutinous reprisals.

The Hostage Takers won't take this deal, and that let's Ryan off the hook from a job he doesn't want.
It will be a free for all battle - maybe a few lessons will be learned. Before these Hostage Takers got so drunk on the Far Right Wing talk radio and Echo Chamber ...... perhaps they could have spent a tiny little bit of time learning how to actually pass legislation. They sound like TeamObama - they think they can just "wish" a law into existence or perhaps sign a Congressional Memo or Order the way The Obama does. I sure hope their Congressional Districts are paying attention .... particularly if they blow up the Largest Republican Conference since the 1920's ..... RIGHT before a Presidential Election.
" mostly newby CongressCritters that are holding the other 200+ as Hostages."

I'D BET NOT A PEEP OUT OF YOU WHEN OLE' HARRY REID HELD THE WHOLE COUNTY HOSTAGE BY REFUSING TO SUBMIT A BUDGET AND THROW OVER 300 BILLs IN THE TRASH THAT THE HOUSE VOTED FOR

Hell, he wouldn't even let his own Senators SEE the bills, much less discuss them.

Ah, such short memories some on the left have.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:28 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,667,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Christians ( I mean the real ones, not the hateful bigots) think Ryan is immoral.
Catholic Bishops Slam Proposed GOP Budget Cuts as 'Immoral'
The link is three years old but I am able to distinguish between calling Ryan immoral and Republican policy and they are not the same. Perhaps, the Bishops, not the American tax payer, should pay for the proposed cuts.

Ryan is only one man but I hope it is the sign of changing times which is better than what we have today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies