Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 01:02 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

In 1983 it wasn't hard to create bogus I.D.s that couldn't easily be verified. I still have my fake I.D. I got when I was 16 to make me 18. No bar ever turned it down.
There was nothing in the article about fake IDs. The workers were also threatened with deportation if they complained about getting short changed on their pay. His company knew these workers were in the country illegally because he or his contractors threatened to deport them if they spoke out, so he can't plead ignorance.

Lastly, did you read the Fortune article? Many construction workers currently working on the new Trump hotel in Washington DC admitted in interviews this year they are in the country illegally. It's 2015 not 1983 so what's the excuse this time?

http://fortune.com/2015/07/07/donald...el-immigrants/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 01:06 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
It's been covered. Has any contractors Trump hired ever hired illegals? I'm sure they have. Deport them and that is not a problem.

I say this as one who isn't going to vote for Trump. There isn't anything here though.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
It's been covered. Has any contractors Trump hired ever hired illegals? I'm sure they have. Deport them and that is not a problem.
Or better yet, bring Trump and his contractors on charges for willfully and repeatedly breaking the law.
Nothing will change until the people doing the illegal hiring are brought up on charges with heavy fines and jail time because Trump and his partners have been getting away with it since the early 1980s and possibly even before that.

Quote:
I say this as one who isn't going to vote for Trump. There isn't anything here though.
Nothing here? So its okay to hire illegals as long as you do it through a shady contractor?

Old 10-21-2015, 01:23 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Or better yet, bring Trump and his contractors on charges for willfully and repeatedly breaking the law.
Nothing will change until the people doing the illegal hiring are brought up on charges with heavy fines and jail time because Trump and his partners have been getting away with it since the early 1980s and possibly even before that.

Nothing here? So its okay to hire illegals as long as you do it through a shady contractor?
No one has shown he is actually doing that. I read Hillary was involved in the death of Vince Foster also.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
No one has shown he is actually doing that. I read Hillary was involved in the death of Vince Foster also.
It has been shown and he admitted it.

Trump and Hillary deserve to be sharing a cell in the federal pen.
Who am I kidding rich people don't go to prison.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:49 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
"Reported". None of these ever actually seem to find any. Trump hires thousands to build his projects. Do any of the contractors hire illegals? Probably.

Is that what is the accusation here? No. There is no proof that Trump has hired a single illegal.
What I saw was that when interviewed some of the workers admitted to be here supposedly illegally which would make them very stupid wouldn't it? I wouldn't admit to it.

Quote:
Yes, when something happens it gets reported in the news. That's how it works.
Trump even admitted they were illegal but claims he didn't know at the time.

Is he really that clueless and stupid about what goes on in his own company, or just a liar with a bad hairdo. My guess would be the latter.

Trump Says He Didn't Know He Employed Illegal Aliens | NY Times
So, you support Trump's plan on illegal immigration since this will be eliminated in the future?

Quote:
What does having a HS diploma qualify you for? To work the drive thru at McDonald's?

Figure it out genius. Are you really that STUPID to not check for valid DOCUMENTATION of people who work for you before hiring them? Failing to do so is not only stupid its criminal and against the law.
Illegal, but Not Undocumented | Center for Immigration Studies Then, you support mandatory e-verify for ALL jobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Want to raise the minimum wage? Fine. Do it locally and stop trying to force a one-size-fits-all national minimum wage. The cost of living varies wildly across this country, so trying to apply a wage that works both in San Francisco and rural Wyoming is absolutely ridiculous.

While a big city supermarket might be able to absorb $15/hr wages for their employees, a small-town grocery store probably can't. What are people in rural areas supposed to do when the price of groceries increases to pay the higher wages, or their groceries stores are run out of business by wages they can't support?

It seems many ideas proposed by Democrats negatively impact people living in rural areas. But those people vote Republican, so screw 'em.
Exactly. Here, we have production jobs that pay from round $8.00 an hour to about $13.00 an hour. Bet you can guess who is working at the low end and they hire through temp agencies since the temp agency doesn't e-verify and go through what appears a new batch every 90 days or so. If you raise the minimum here to $15.00 for a retail clerk, what happens with the rest of the wages. Should someone working production in a manufacturing facility be paid the same as a retail clerk? If the manufacturing plant raises their wages for the workers to reflect the change in minimum wage, you'll see those companies either heading out of the country or out of business.

So much of our money is spent on junk from China that it isn't benefiting our economy anyway.

Don't they teach economics in high school anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
I didn't read the previous pages, yet, just wanted to give my honest opinion on this incrase. I don't fully agree with the wage hike.

Those working for $15 won't be eligible for government assistance like welfare and medicaid. Those same people won't be able to afford Obamacare marketplace insurance and sky high rent prices. So you have people working for a descent wage, but the money will go right back to the government either through taxes or insurance, better yet a landlord. So no real money is being spent into the economy, life will still be a struggle for the average worker.

I predict, people won't go for the check paying jobs because they rather work for cash and get goverment assistance on the side. It's not that hard to find a cash job for at least $10 an hour, with government assisted housing, insurance and food, it's possible to live a balanced life.

At the end of the day, again middle class gets screwed, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
When we were in SE KS, I took the wages being paid at most of the businesses in town, at the time about $10.00 per hour and made a comparison to someone on public assistance not working at all and by the time the bills are paid, the person on public assistance breaks even with the person working $10.00 per hour. If you can add under the table income............

Quote:
Odd, it was argued that it would get money flowing into the markets and get the economy going.
The only thing that will do that is bringing back good paying jobs and letting the high school and college kids do the minimum wage jobs.

Quote:

Well, that was yesterday IF it is the reality and tomorrow with Trump as POTUS, it will be a new day.
Really, if you are here illegally, do you want to advertise it? I would probably avoid that. And, without names, it is nothing more than heresay.

Trump said it was possible with all the contractors that he hires that some illegals were hired. Enforcing immigration law will end this possibility.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Princeton University economist Alan Krueger pointed out recently in the New York Times, “research suggests that a minimum wage set as high as $12 an hour will do more good than harm for low-wage workers.” That’s because a higher minimum puts more money into the pockets of people who will spend it, mostly in the local economy. That spending encourages businesses to hire more workers. Which is why many economists, like Krueger, support raising the federal minimum to $12 an hour.

Link to article

---------------------
More people with more money in their pockets can only be a good thing for businesses. More customers who have more money in their pockets can now afford to buy your products and services. As a result you will then expand and grow your business, hiring more workers and creating more good-paying jobs.

When low-wage workers can afford to buy more than just the necessities of life, its good for business and good for the economy, and good for state and federal budgets when they don't have to subsidize so many millions of working poor with food stamp and welfare benefits. Why does the richest nation on earth have the highest rate of poverty in the developed world? Because its trickle down economic policies are a joke, doesn't work and never will.
Well then forget $15/hour..let's go for $50/hour so we're all swimming in money.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:03 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Why does the richest nation on earth have the highest rate of poverty in the developed world?
1) We are not the richest nation in the world. We don't even crack the top 5.
2) We are nowhere close to the highest poverty rate in the developed world. We have virtually zero residents under the international poverty line ($4/day) while there are many developed countries in double digits. Even if you use the national poverty line for each country, the US is just under 15%, putting it below South Korea, the UK, Belgium, Germany, Japan, Portugal, Israel, Spain, Bulgaria, Estonia, Italy, Argentina, Greece, Mexico, and many many others in Central America, South America, Eastern Europe, and Asia that I am not listing because I do not know your definition of developed.

Last edited by marigolds6; 10-21-2015 at 02:11 PM..

Old 10-21-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well then forget $15/hour..let's go for $50/hour so we're all swimming in money.
It doesn't have to be an absurdly extravagant amount, but a minimum livable wage that more or less keeps pace with the rate of inflation. $50 an hour is far beyond that.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
It doesn't have to be an absurdly extravagant amount, but a minimum livable wage that more or less keeps pace with the rate of inflation. $50 an hour is far beyond that.
Well inflation is 0% today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies