Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2015, 04:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
This killing frenzy isn't nothing compared to the on going violence in the 80's and 90's. Sorry but it was alot worse back then, then it is now.
YES. I've been pointing this out every other page or so, to no avail. People on either side of the argument do not want to hear that the crime rate has actually been consistently and pretty dramatically going DOWN over the last few decades.

That's not nearly as exciting and inflammatory to talk about.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:32 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
Well... that comparison could work if it weren't for the minor detail that Heroine is derived from a plant. A plant that is grown in large #s in Afghanistan (a country I'd love to just get the heck out of btw). People can grow plants in greenhouses too. Heck, if they can stomach a large enough electricity bill and not draw attention from utilities and law enforcement, it can be grown in a basement using lamps.

I do agree existing gun laws need to be enforced, but in lieu of that, can't we make it as difficult to get a gun as it is an abortion?

Btw, I did acknowledge the whole island aspect of australia and how that would help them keep guns out. Maybe Trump is on to something about building a wall lol...
What? Anybody can walk in and get one, so not sure what the logic is to this? AND, it's paid for by the taxpayer if you can't afford one. Hmmmm, maybe it's not such a bad idea after all.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:08 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
YES. I've been pointing this out every other page or so, to no avail. People on either side of the argument do not want to hear that the crime rate has actually been consistently and pretty dramatically going DOWN over the last few decades.

That's not nearly as exciting and inflammatory to talk about.
The demonstration that despite a major increase in the number of guns in the country the homicide rate has plummeted is definitely one pro gun advocates should embrace. Has the homicide rate fallen as a direct result of an increase in gun ownership? Of course not. That said it is a great illustrator of the fact that gun are not the ultimate driver, for that we should look to poverty.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:14 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Why not similar rules to registering an automobile? Cars also have the capability of being deadly weapons and may possibly be used in the commission of a crime. Cars rarely fulfill either function, of course, but when it does happen their registration often makes it easier for law enforcement to solve the crime.

I have to HAVE A LICENSE to drive. I have to have each one of my cars REGISTERED with the state. If my cars are old, they have to undergo an inspection. I have to re-register them each year and pay a fee (for guns it could be one fee per owner). If I am caught driving my car with an out-of-date registration, I can be fined heavily.

The money raised from the annual registration of firearms can be used for the treatment of mental illness, such as the schizophrenia many mass-shooters exhibit.
Specifically, what do you do when someone says they lost their gun or it was stolen?

Cars are driven down the road with their tags in plain view; therefore, it's really quite simple to find them. Of the 300 million guns in the US, how many do you see in person (not carried by law enforcement) each day?

Currently, if I go to any gun store to buy a gun, they make a copy of my drivers license and the serial number of the gun. Is your answer to have that gun serial number tattooed on my forehead?

Old 10-22-2015, 07:51 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Why not similar rules to registering an automobile? Cars also have the capability of being deadly weapons and may possibly be used in the commission of a crime. Cars rarely fulfill either function, of course, but when it does happen their registration often makes it easier for law enforcement to solve the crime.

I have to HAVE A LICENSE to drive. I have to have each one of my cars REGISTERED with the state. If my cars are old, they have to undergo an inspection. I have to re-register them each year and pay a fee (for guns it could be one fee per owner). If I am caught driving my car with an out-of-date registration, I can be fined heavily.

The money raised from the annual registration of firearms can be used for the treatment of mental illness, such as the schizophrenia many mass-shooters exhibit.
About 1500 people a year are killed with knives. By contrast, only about 200-300 are killed by rifles (most gun deaths are from hand guns, not "assault type" guns or other large weapons).

I say, we should require the registration of all knives longer than 2 inches.

Rocks are also a deadly weapon. I don't know how many people die from thrown rocks, but I have heard of them being dropped off of overpasses onto busy highways, and it does kill people. Let's register all rocks heavier than, say, one ounce.

Words can kill. Did you know that? Every year, a certain number of people drop dead of heart attacks because of the stress of being yelled at, scolded, or mocked. From now on, no more freedom of speech, given that it is literally a deadly weapon.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:19 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
What? Anybody can walk in and get one, so not sure what the logic is to this? AND, it's paid for by the taxpayer if you can't afford one. Hmmmm, maybe it's not such a bad idea after all.
No, anyone can't just walk in and get one. LOL, if that were the case then I'd really have to ask what Republican state legislators have been doing the past several years. The reality is most have been trying, and succeeding in passing ever more restrictive rules regarding access to what has been ruled a constitutional right to choose.

For instance, in Texas, the following restrictions on abortion were in effect as of July 1, 2015:

- A woman must receive state-directed counseling that includes information designed to discourage her from having an abortion and then wait 24 hours before the procedure is provided.
- The use of telemedicine for the performance of medication abortion is prohibited.
- The parent of a minor must consent and be notified before an abortion is provided.
- Public funding is available for abortion only in cases of life endangerment, rape or incest.
- A woman must undergo an ultrasound before obtaining an abortion; the provider must show and describe the image to the woman. If the woman lives within 100 miles of an abortion provider she must obtain the ultrasound at least 24 hours before the abortion.

As icing on the cake, women are often heckled by protestors outside of the clinics upon arrival.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:23 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
The demonstration that despite a major increase in the number of guns in the country the homicide rate has plummeted is definitely one pro gun advocates should embrace. Has the homicide rate fallen as a direct result of an increase in gun ownership? Of course not. That said it is a great illustrator of the fact that gun are not the ultimate driver, for that we should look to poverty.
I'd agree with the bolded part.

That said, the same day as the Sandy Hook shooting; a man in China went on a stabbing spree at an elementary school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chenpe...chool_stabbing

Guns are illegal there, so he had to use a knife. No children died there. We lost 20 children and 6 teachers. Are we willing to talk about how broken those existing gun laws are yet? Nope...

'Murika!!

Old 10-22-2015, 08:27 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,036 times
Quote:

That said, the same day as the Sandy Hook shooting; a man in China went on a stabbing spree at an elementary school.

Guns are illegal there, so he had to use a knife. No children died there. We lost 20 children and 6 teachers. Are we willing to talk about how broken those existing gun laws are yet? Nope...

'Murika!!
Your only option here to 'solve' this is to ban guns. If you think that will be all unicorns and rainbows I have a bridge to sell you.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:33 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,520,837 times
Quote:

'Murika!!
In sweden, (news today) 2 died as a result of being hacked to death by someone using a machete.

Of course, since no gun was used, it doesnt matter right? Doesnt support your agenda.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:40 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Exactly. It's time to start calling the problem what it is, instead of pushing agendas aiming at disarming people via a trickle-down honor system that does nothing but subject honest people to additional unnecessary inquiries, profiling, and mountains of red tape, while the media handily ignores the what's going on with the lives they told us mattered so much yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies