Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 11:37 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,795,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Sorry, a woman killing her baby is not just her business.
There is no baby to kill. She is killing what is essentially a parasite in her body that has the POTENTIAL to become a baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
That doesn't make sense to oppose abortion in the case of rape if you think that a fetus has the same rights as a full person. Medical reasons are acceptable, but if you say that rape is a valid reason for an abortion then you are saying that having a horrible person as a father is a valid reason to die.

I am very pro-choice, but I understand where the majority of pro-lifers are coming from. I don't think the majority of them "hate women" (especially considering that women are just as divided as men on the issue) nor do they necessarily want to control another person's body, but if you believe that a fetus is equal to regular person, then abortion should only be allowed under very limited circumstances and not be dependent on what was the means of conception.

Otherwise, if you are willing to make an exemption for rape, then you have to at least be willing to consider other exemptions as well.

I know it's inconsistent but those pro-lifers are trying to be understandable to the women choosing to abort. It's not about a horrible father. It's about both parents not being fit to have the future child. Deadbeat fathers are one thing, violating a person's body is another. They would be more likely to be given up to temporary homes/orphanages as the mother would resent the child for the rest of her life.

Last edited by Nickchick; 10-25-2015 at 11:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 05:10 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,275,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
bs. what some woman you don't know, that lives thousands of miles away from you, that you will never meet or know does with her body.
She isn't killing her body.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:30 AM

14,460 posts, read 11,219,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
This is called "blowback" to the American Taliban.
And the defunding vote is blowback to the psychopaths at PP who so cavalierly put "fetal body parts" and "Lamborghinis" in the same effing sentence.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
This was one of the responses in the comment section of the above linked article in the OP...

MY needs, MY wants, MY life. ME, ME, ME!
So she doesn't speak to her son or apparently have a relationship with him. I guess that means she regrets he is alive? What a horrible thing to say. What about his life?
Here's the thing. Having sex has consequences. One of those consequences is bringing a new life into the world. That changes your life and your plans. The father should ABSOLUTELY be an equal partner and share the load and responsibility as well.
I don't think abortion should be outlawed but it shouldn't be celebrated as some sort of empowerment either.
Yeah, that's the psychopathy of these people, not that I even believe her obviously fabricated story anyway but she is saying that she regrets that her son is alive. That it would have been better had he not been born.

Its a heckofa lot easier to "shout out your abortion" when the other person in the equation is dead.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
not all #shoutyourabortion stories are about irresponsibility. many are women who have been raped, abused or had a pregnancy with fetal abnormalities. the idea behind it is to take the stigma away.
Yeah hhm, we've all seen what an angry liberal woman with an agenda is capable of. Lets just say that many men's lives have been destroyed by them.

I'd be willing to bet 95% of the stories on #shoutyourabortion are lies.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:21 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,407,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
There was nothing else in your post worth addressing.
You ignored the entire point.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:52 AM

756 posts, read 422,263 times
Quote:
abortion is legal, so is free speech.
don't like abortion, don't have one.
don't want to hear about it, don't read about it. as they say turn the damn channel.
what a woman does with her body is her business.
That works both ways! If you don't like reading opinions that challenge or differ from your own, you don't have to read the post! You can "turn the damn channel" as well, there's a back button on your browser for a reason.

What a woman does with her body is her business so long as the rest of us pay it for with our tax dollars whether we agree with abortion or not, right? We could be horrified by what we heard discussed in the PP video or horrified by the notion of #ShoutYourAbortion but we should all just shut up, pay our taxes and we shouldn't get to express our opinion on the matter in a public forum right?

Old 10-26-2015, 07:24 AM

21,397 posts, read 10,464,211 times
Quote:
This was one of the responses in the comment section of the above linked article in the OP...

MY needs, MY wants, MY life. ME, ME, ME!
So she doesn't speak to her son or apparently have a relationship with him. I guess that means she regrets he is alive? What a horrible thing to say. What about his life?
Here's the thing. Having sex has consequences. One of those consequences is bringing a new life into the world. That changes your life and your plans. The father should ABSOLUTELY be an equal partner and share the load and responsibility as well.
I don't think abortion should be outlawed but it shouldn't be celebrated as some sort of empowerment either.
Wow, what a horrible woman. I'm glad my mom wasn't like that, though she had a similar situation. She ended up raising two daughters by herself after her divorce in '69, in a time when women couldn't even get credit in their own names around here, but she loved us anyway.

Whenever I think of mistakes I've made in life, I can't regret anything because those mistakes led me to meet people who eventually introduced me to my husband and father of my children. I just can't understand regretting having a child, ever.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:44 AM

21,397 posts, read 10,464,211 times
Quote:
The problem with this movement is abortion is NOT empowerment or it SHOULDN'T be.
It's a sad, somber decision that should never be celebrated, shouted out or seen as empowerment. That IS sick.

Also, I'm not a pro-lifer but as far as I can tell, most pro-lifers really don't give a crap about wanting to "tell women what to do with their bodies" or make decisions for them or run their lives, they care about the horrible notion of fetuses being killed and how easily it can be done, even in cases when it was two people being careless when having unprotected sex and not ready for the consequences.

Some of these women think it's all about them! The fight and the outrage isn't about wanting to control your bodies, it's wanting a voice for the fetus, the new life that has no voice or say in the matter.
With that said, I believe women SHOULD have a choice, but movements like this will just encourage more irresponsible sex and then some women will feel "empowered" to "shout" about it "because there's no way those
evil GOP bible thumpers are gonna tell ME what to do with my body", when in reality, in many cases, it's someone choosing to have unprotected sex and is unprepared to deal with the consequences and the responsibility.

I said it before and I will say it again. Men, the FATHERS should have say in this too! Maybe they shouldn't get to decide if the mother gets an abortion or not but if two people have unprotected sex, why is that the mother can decide they are not ready to be a parent and extricate themselves from the responsibility but the father cannot?! Maybe fathers should be able to sign a paper saying they will have no contact with the child but they are not financially responsible either. That is not a perfect solution and its open to abuse but as it is now a woman can have unprotected sex, abort the child if she is not ready to be a mother (even if the father wants to keep it) and move on with her life and her plans. A man can get actually get raped (statutory) by an older female and will be LIABLE for child support!! The law is insane! Men have no rights as fathers or they have very little.

As for those railing against the defunding of PP and defending it... I wonder how many are aware the the founder of Planned Parenthood was a virulent racist and eugenicist. Google some of her quotes sometime, they will make you sick.
You lost your argument when you said men should have the option to not have financial responsibily for a baby if the mom chooses to have it against his wishes. It just doesn't work that way. Nothing but common decency can make you have contact with your kid, but you don't get to shirk your duty of financial responsibility.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:53 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,911,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
There is no baby to kill. She is killing what is essentially a parasite in her body that has the POTENTIAL to become a baby.
That's an interesting perspective. You must hang around some very interesting women. I've known dozens of mothers in my lifetime, and not one of them has said while pregnant "My fetus kicked" or "My parasite kicked." Oddly enough, each and every one of them has referred to the thing in her uterus as a "baby."

I know, weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies