Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2015, 05:10 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times

Advertisements

here are some i can think of based on my experience:
  • the word swagger or bling: if i have to hear once again on cnn, msnbc, ... that bernie sanders is the candidate with the most swagger ...
    • i guess they think they are appealing to the young hip generation ?
  • twerking: in 25 years websters dictionary will credit miley cyrus as the inventor of the latest dance craze.
    • black people should unite and take back their stripper dance.
  • the harlam shake: another popular dance craze created by caucasion folks circa 2013.
    • and was never popularized by mid 90's rappers such as ma$e.
  • the city of harlam itself: now that real-estate is a premium in new york city the more affluent (primarily caucasion) are looking at harlam and brooklyn and the gentrification is increasingly making it unaffordable for those that lived there for generations.
  • big booty: gone are the days of the 90's where the standard of beauty for women was a slim butt (julia roberts, kim bassinger, micheclle pfeiffer...). now kim kardashian/iggy azalea started the trend of more shapely figure.
    • it still hits my ear wrong that meghan trainor, a 20 year old austrailian, is bringing booty back to the us when there probably have been a dozen black stars from the 70's who are shapely but never made it crossover.

hopefully others from different cultures can share some more.

lets keep this classy... who am i kidding, this is c-d (go nuts !).

Old 10-23-2015, 05:14 PM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
I doubt anyone under 25 gives a crap, more importantly it's Harlem not Harlam

Old 10-24-2015, 08:37 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
  • the word swagger or bling: if i have to hear once again on cnn, msnbc, ... that bernie sanders is the candidate with the most swagger ...
  • twerking: in 25 years websters dictionary will credit miley cyrus as the inventor of the latest dance craze.
  • the harlam shake: another popular dance craze created by caucasion folks circa 2013.
  • the city of harlam itself: now that real-estate is a premium in new york city the more affluent (primarily caucasion) are looking at harlam and brooklyn and the gentrification is increasingly making it unaffordable for those that lived there for generations.
  • big booty: gone are the days of the 90's where the standard of beauty for women was a slim butt (julia roberts, kim bassinger, micheclle pfeiffer...). now kim kardashian/iggy azalea started the trend of more shapely figure.
    • it still hits my ear wrong that meghan trainor, a 20 year old austrailian, is bringing booty back to the us when there probably have been a dozen black stars from the 70's who are shapely but never made it crossover.

Nobody credits Miley with Twerking. She is credited for bringing it to a mass audience... maybe... in a way that now the mainstream knows about it because of her background (as sweet little Hanna Montana) and the way she did it at the MTV Awards.

The Harlem Shake? That was a joke viral video that spread around the world. Who is appropriating what? Nobody actually DID the actual Harlem shake in any of those videos.

Harlem (a DUTCH -- ya know, white people -- word)... has gone through demographic transitions before. Do you think it's always been a black place? Most of today's historic black neighborhoods in the North were actually places black people "appropriated" from the whites that lived there before them. Oh well, that's life. On the upside, crime is down in a lot of previous dangerous locations in NYC and black folks are leaving for better areas and opportunities. Across town "Little Italy" is being swallowed an surrounded by Chinatown. The Italians don't care too much because they've successfully integrated into society now.

Big booty? Really? Thin is always in and always will be in. What you're now seeing is appreciation of more diverse body types. I do happen to remember a very popular song from a black artist decades ago though. What was it called? Oh yeah, "I like big butts"...

Megan Trainor is not a sex symbol. Her song - again - pretty much a joke about not being skinny. Nobody credits her with popularizing big butts or full figures.

Also, it's "cultural APPROPRIATION" and it's not a real thing that people care about outside of tumblr or identity politics blogs than often get their own history wrong. (As I've once had to actually explain to someone that no, black people did not invent fried chicken, and even if they did it's not "cultural appropriation" for a white person to cook it and sell it).

Old 10-24-2015, 08:45 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
I'm pro junk-in-the-trunk. The more the better.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:54 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:

lol what's wrong with swagger, bling, and big booty.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:59 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
[*]big booty: gone are the days of the 90's where the standard of beauty for women was a slim butt (julia roberts, kim bassinger, micheclle pfeiffer...). now kim kardashian/iggy azalea started the trend of more shapely figure.[list]
Maybe this has nothing to do with cultural change, it has a lot to do with preferences.

I personally always appreciate men with six packs, long legs, and strong arms. My sister, on the other hand, like nerdy dudes who wear glasses.

I think Kim Kardashian is a beautiful woman, I know equal amount of men who like and dislike her body type. It has a lot to do with preference, almost nothing to do with culture. In my most humble opinion.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:04 PM

906 posts, read 711,920 times
These things are just fads, in 20 years they will be outdated..

However what is concerning is how little regard our generation has for basic morality. It is sad, what many are choosing to become. The previous generations have accomplished some very impressive feats..going to the moon, computers and the internet...these things were game changers. However, this generation..I'm not certain what our defining contribution might be...or who is even working for it. But its time for this generation to start work because time is ticking and we're on the clock.

My suspicion is that it will not come from American youth, however. But, prove me wrong, I dont mind. Still, I look around and I dont see anyone hungry enough for it, I dont see anyone who wants it. Here we are all too busy trying to get out of debt, pay bills, or wasting time on the internet. It isnt a conducive environment for ground breaking innovation.

Last edited by gumisgood; 10-25-2015 at 02:12 PM..

Old 10-25-2015, 03:39 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Quote:

Change the channel and stop watching CNN & MSNBC. They don't know any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies