Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2015, 05:01 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Explain to me how you can be a Muslim but not be religious.

Islam is a religion.

So if you're a Muslim, then it follows that you are religious.

If you're not religious, then it follows that you are not a Muslim.

If you're an atheist, then it follows that you are not a Muslim.
That's like saying all Mexicans are catholic. Read the article at the link, then take this curiosity out for a spin on the Information Super Highway.

I watched the latest release, "Inside Assad's Syria" Oct 27, 2015 Frontline, PBS; saw Muslims in bikinis on the beach.

People should not lump everyone in together under one umbrella, there are too many differences that will show where that just doesn't work.

EDIT: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ali-a-...b_3261226.html

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 11-01-2015 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: added edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 05:37 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,434,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
That's like saying all Mexicans are catholic. Read the article at the link, then take this curiosity out for a spin on the Information Super Highway.

I watched the latest release, "Inside Assad's Syria" Oct 27, 2015 Frontline, PBS; saw Muslims in bikinis on the beach.

People should not lump everyone in together under one umbrella, there are too many differences that will show where that just doesn't work.

EDIT: Why I Call Myself an 'Atheist Muslim'*|*Ali A. Rizvi
You didn't answer my question.

You make a false analogy when you equate my statement that "All Muslims are religious" to the statement "All Mexicans are Catholic."

Being Mexican doesn't necessarily mean that you are a Catholic, just as being Catholic doesn't necessarily mean that you are a Mexican.

But being Muslim necessarily means that you are religious, because Islam is a religion.

As for the article "Why I call myself an atheist Muslim," there are all kinds of irrational claims people make.

That is one of them.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:02 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Germany has their imbecilic puppet leader out to bring them down and we have ours. All we can do is empathize.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:

EDIT: Why I Call Myself an 'Atheist Muslim'*|*Ali A. Rizvi
Quote:
You didn't answer my question.

You make a false analogy when you equate my statement that "All Muslims are religious" to the statement "All Mexicans are Catholic."

Being Mexican doesn't necessarily mean that you are a Catholic, just as being Catholic doesn't necessarily mean that you are a Mexican.

But being Muslim necessarily means that you are religious, because Islam is a religion.

As for the article "Why I call myself an atheist Muslim," there are all kinds of irrational claims people make.

That is one of them.
That maybe that I picked the wrong analogy, try this one.

Atheist Jew is to Judaism, as Atheist Muslim, is to Islam.

There is a buffet of ideas, that is as numerous as there are people on this earth.

The choices you gave only account for 2 of an array of possibilities, humans can achieve and become.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:16 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
The hell was Merkel thinking by opening the flood gates? She has forever changed the cultural landscape of her own country for the worse. I can't believe the citizens are tolerating it.
What can they do? Most Americans (I have seen the poll number as high as 80 percent) do not want Obama to bring millions of "refugees" here either but he's going to do it and there is nothing the citizens can do about it.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:26 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,434,654 times
Quote:
That maybe that I picked the wrong analogy, try this one.

Atheist Jew is to Judaism, as Atheist Muslim, is to Islam.

There is a buffet of ideas, that is as numerous as there are people on this earth.

The choices you gave only account for 2 of an array of possibilities, humans can achieve and become.
I appreciate your "buffet of ideas" approach, but we need to reject claims that are unwarranted.

Judaism -- like Islam and Christianity -- is a religion. So if you're an atheist, you are not a Jew. You might be descended from observing Jews. You might call yourself a Jew. But you are not, in fact, a Jew. And people should start acknowledging that instead of trying to have their cake and eat it, too.

The whole "I'm a Muslim but I don't believe in God or anything else that Muslims believe in (especially things that sensible people reject, like oppressing women)" pose is a cop-out and a subterfuge.

It is just the sort of thing I would expect Muslims to say when they are small minority without power.

"Let's pretend to be harmless. Let's pretend NOT to believe what we actually do believe, so that the infidels accept us. Once we become powerful, then it will all change...."

Old 11-01-2015, 06:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Govts are always so generous with other people's property
This small town has 23 empty office buildings. What's up with that? Sounds like a ghost town.

Who owns these buildings?

Old 11-01-2015, 06:50 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
And then there's the neo Nazi employed as a car washer.........

Old 11-01-2015, 06:58 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,530 times
LOL - let's see, how did Obama put it. . . oh yes. "They will be like seedlings, watered and nurtered." +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
The village must be so excited to receive all that "diversity". Just think of how "culturally enriched" they'll become.

I'm still waiting to find out how many immigrants are going to move into the white house with Obama.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I appreciate your "buffet of ideas" approach, but we need to reject claims that are unwarranted.

Judaism -- like Islam and Christianity -- is a religion. So if you're an atheist, you are not a Jew. You might be descended from observing Jews. You might call yourself a Jew. But you are not, in fact, a Jew. And people should start acknowledging that instead of trying to have their cake and eat it, too.

The whole "I'm a Muslim but I don't believe in God or anything else that Muslims believe in (especially things that sensible people reject, like oppressing women)" pose is a cop-out and a subterfuge.

It is just the sort of thing I would expect Muslims to say when they are small minority without power.

"Let's pretend to be harmless. Let's pretend NOT to believe what we actually do believe, so that the infidels accept us. Once we become powerful, then it will all change...."
So once a Muslim, always an Islamist. Sorry I don't adhere to that, but then I'm an unorthodox Christian, so what do I know? I guess there's no such thing, because by your analogy there is only one idea, in a world where there are multiple faiths; multiple paths too and from the belief in God.

I didn't find God in a church and I didn't find Him in a book. I guess that makes me just as much an anomaly as a Muslim's rejection of the Islamic faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies