Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 04:54 PM

646 posts, read 801,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Gunz View Post
Yeah Its racist.

But White people have been racists for a long time. This is the hate that was produced by hate. Or maybe I'm just tired of white people acting like they are better than everybody else.

I'm sorry that I refuse to bow down and worship white people like they were gods but that will never happen.

White people wondering why minorities hate them, is like rapists wondering why the victims hate them.
Can I send you a confederate flag in the mail.And a box of tissue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 04:59 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
An Uncle Tom is an oppressed person who adopts the views and value systems of the oppressor. In psychology its called the Stockholm syndrome. Clarence Thomas comes to mind. Black folks call them 'oreos'. Aboriginal Americans call them 'apples'. I know Polish people who won't hire Polish lawyers because they believe Jews are smarter than Poles.

How do you deal with this sort of person? Show them how hurtful their attitudes are. Ask them to think of how their attitudes effect their own family and how that family is perceived. After that, forget them.
Uncle Tom's are people of African American Ancestry who don't agree with Liberal Left Wing politics. It is absurd to hear White Liberals talking about the topic and is rather insulting to boot. If being a Black fiscal conservative is bad then folks underwater on their houses must be saints.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:23 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Uncle Tom's are people of African American Ancestry who don't agree with Liberal Left Wing politics.
You just made that up didn't you?

Old 02-26-2010, 09:10 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I've heard people basically use that definition before. See the Clarence Thomas comments earlier in the thread.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:14 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
No I have felt it for YEARS. Can you feel me?

Old 02-26-2010, 10:12 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
No I have felt it for YEARS. Can you feel me?
Yes, I can. I'm right there with you.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:48 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
Who keeps reviving this stupid thread?

Old 05-15-2010, 07:41 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Urban Dictionary: Uncle Tom

Quote:
Uncle Tom is a term used by black people to try to convince other black people that working, education, living well, and setting a good example for their children is selling out.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:57 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
What do you do about an Uncle Tom?

In my mostly white town, there's one black woman who grew up in the area who is the go-to person for everything on race. She usually takes a conservative redneck point of view.

The demographics of the town are changing, they're have been numerous racist incidents, there is an ingrained racist mindset among the local people, and this woman acts out of self-interest to keep the dialogue from moving forward even to a 1960's consciousness.

I'd like to hear from African-Americans who have experienced an uncle Tom in their community, how you feel about it, and is there anything effective to do about it without being accused of attacking the individual person.

Thanks in advance for your views about a controversial subject.
Sounds like, in your town, you're between a darn hard rock and a friggin boulder when it comes to race issues.

Let me just lay it straight:

I doubt that one woman acting out of self interest is keeping the peace so to speak. As you put it the "woman acts out of self interest to keep the dialouge moving forward even to a 1960's consciousness."

Sounds like a heavy burden.

I'm assuming this is like the "one colored woman" amdist a sea of white "tolerant" individuals in some Northeastern town.

Give it up. The consciousness of racism already seems well ingrained. Why bother upsetting it for the comfort of some lone "colored folk"?

Finally, is it really an Uncle Tom in your community or rather your projection at relentless work? Look up"projection" if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:58 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Who keeps reviving this stupid thread?
I'm not sure, but I bit.

Who keeps reviving...probably folks who desperately want to believe in the Uncle Tom myth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies