Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 01:32 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,041,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post

As a side note, there is nothing from this situation that screams, "this girl is a thug hood rat". She was quiet, not swearing or being an actual nuisance. This girl may have other troubles we don't know of.

Or she could just be your typical annoying teen, who knows?
Your typical annoying teen will not refuse to listen to the teacher, the principal and finally the police. The typical annoying teen may act out in class but would have left the room when asked by the principal or the police.

Quote:
I had some troubled teen years where I acted up at times and was told to leave the class and I am far from being a thug or hood rat.
But I suspect you would not have openly defied the principal or the police.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:34 PM

50,178 posts, read 23,817,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
Not obeying a Teacher or Boss isn't illegal.

We want to body slam a child for not obeying her Teacher. Of course she won't get up, she's stubborn remember?

This is CRAZY!! This is not Nazi Germany!!! We need to get over ourselves.

Call Mom and Dad. Look into if they are the reason the child is misbehaving. Call in the school Counselor.

If that doesn't work, then kick the child OUT OF SCHOOL.

Child abuse begets child abuse. Do not start the cycle, it's very difficult to break.

You can bet your britches a grown man attacking attacking a young girl has been physically abused himself.
Physically abuse a girl... and later she'll be physically abusing her own kids as well...and maybe her husband too considering this particular abuse experience was with a man. She may be afraid of authority figures for the rest of her life. Hopefully she won't come to hate men

As it is now, she's a typical teenager. Overly stubborn. We can live with that, even well into adulthood. Lots of people are overly stubborn
As a society, we cannot tolerate physical abuse. Especially perpetrated by those who are paid to protect our children from physical violence. Instead they attack them. Un Fricken Believable!!!

And the sick part is...we teach these kids to trust the Cops. I've never taught my son this. They hired a Cop to go into his school and he totally abused his authority. Especially where crimes were concerned, he'd befriend them then call them into a private room interrogating them without a parent present..asking about so and so...one parent was so mad she wrote to the paper. that is just one example, I could go into the many we heard about.
While I agree with much of what you say in your posts, certain behaviors in school are literally illegal and can be prosecuted in many states, and that included "disrupting the educational environment".

Old 10-28-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2now22 View Post
...Officers are trained on the use of force continuum. I think that he violated that model of force, which is why he should be fired.
I haven't said whether I think he should be fired.

But the "use of force continuum" you mention is probably very similar to what I used to call "LDA or LDAN" concept (least drastic action necessary).

Old 10-28-2015, 01:38 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,289,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
The gym wasn't used in your school … ??? The library was unoccupied … ??? The hallways are all set up with seating, etc., for a class … ???

Look … The kid obviously was having an episode, and there wqas no good reason to punish the other students for it ...
Not 24/7, no.

This was an extreme yet short lived situation. At the most, the other students would have been disrupted for 5-15 minutes if things went well. Otherwise, yes, find a place to congregate and make due. Again, the school needs to review its protocol in matters like this because stuff happens and sometimes a classroom must be evacuated.

What is for sure obvious is that what happened in that classroom was more disruptive to learning then simply moving the class to another location. Do you really think those other kids went quietly back to work after this incident? They likely checked out right after, too busy talking/tweeting/posting about what happened. That class is basically over.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:41 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,041,115 times
I am very disappointed the policeman was fired. Unless he had a record of this type of behavior. I don't count a lawsuit that he won as a record. A few students have said they like him and he is fair, he received an award as an example, etc. If he violated policy he should have received some sort of punishment and training. It did not seem as violent as many here claim. To me it seems he tried to get her out of the chair, she resisted, the chair fell over and from there it went bad. Of course the police were able to review all videos and talk to witnesses.
I suspect in today's litigious society they knew he had to be fired. But they will still be sued and the policeman may also sue and win for the termination.

I wonder if there is a policy about how to handle a student who refuses to leave the room or get out of the chair.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
If you lay a hand on a law enforcement officer, you should not be surprised if it ends with you needing an ambulance and medical treatment. Assault on a police officer should be a death sentence for the perp if they are 18yrs old or above.
Get a grip.

Murdering a police officer...okay...I'll reluctantly say the death penalty should be considered.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:45 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,506,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan20 View Post
Where are you getting the extra classroom all set up and waiting? All I hear is whines about "overcrowded schools".
You're missing the point, what afriqueNY was getting at was to separate the problem from the class body, then deal with it in a non violent way, even if it meant they lost a day of class. Whether or not it's apparent, as adults we really do set an example, so by the teacher acting passive and the cop acting aggressive, what signal was sent to all in the classroom?

Old 10-28-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I didn't think so either but someone pointed out what do the teacher and vice principle supposed to do when they try and the student still won't budge? Call the school's 'resource officer' (the cop). I don't know that is for sure the right answer either. Why must a student have a cellphone in class anyways? I understand a need for a cellphone. Perhaps the question really should be why must the student pull their cellphone out DURING classroom instruction? Students should be in class to learn, not be engaged with multi media distractions. If the kids can't keep from pulling them out during class instruction/learning, what's the alternative?

I remember years ago, if we had anything in our hands other than notes and a writing instrument, the teacher would come up from behind and grab it and put it in their drawer until after class. Then, you could get it back, along with probably an extra assignment or something like that. There wasn't much balking about student rights then. As long as you got back what was important to you at the time, that's all we cared about.
Just a friendly reminder -- virtually one is excusing the student's behavior.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:48 PM

35,932 posts, read 30,474,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Now that the Sheriff has fired this power hungry cop for using excessive force and not following procedures, it is time to charge him with assault and child abuse.
Also, if a parent had done that to a kid, they would have already been arrested.
ok, while I agree the officer used excessive force and I don't believe this should have ever escalated into calling an officer people need to understand there is a difference in a parent or teacher or other civilian assaulting or using excessive force with a juv. and a Police Officer arresting someone. Officers are permitted to use force when anyone resists arrest.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:49 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,289,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Your typical annoying teen will not refuse to listen to the teacher, the principal and finally the police. The typical annoying teen may act out in class but would have left the room when asked by the principal or the police.

But I suspect you would not have openly defied the principal or the police.
Teens ignore teachers all the time, but true, ignoring cops is an extra level. But given her current situation, she is not a typical teen.

I was actually quite the ahole as a teenager. Like this girl, my mom was dead and I was dealing with A LOT of personal issues. I was stubborn, obstinate, disruptive at times, and even destructive. I've been kicked out of some classes though managed to dodge getting suspended or expelled (I think admin was lenient on me given my situation). I had weekly visits with the school's licensed social worker (who, 16+ years later, I'm still on regular speaking terms with because she dealt with me at my worst!). I could have ended up in a bad situation w/o people like her talking me down from my many ledges.

No, this girl is not a typical annoying teen and, after learning more about her background, I feel for her b/c that was me. She may not be a thug, or a hood rat, or some idiot like people here are painting her as. She could just be a girl barely coping and reacting badly to life. She may need someone to listen to her, to help her. What she doesn't need is for some power tripping cop to slam her across the room. No kid needs that (unless they are being actively violent). Like I said before, I'm sick of the character assassination this girl is facing based of seconds of videos when her only "crime" was refusing to leave. She was wrong but nothing she did was illegal or violent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies