Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 01:44 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
What she was doing was not illegal,
Actually, it was. We've already posted the statute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's water under the bridge dear Pedro...the cop was fired today.
Then why are you here posting?

"There's no need to discuss this, so let me tell you what I think."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Has anyone explained why a cop was called in the first place? Why wasn't this handled via ordinary disciplinary channels? (Sending student to the principal, or whatever they do, these days) What did teachers do in cases like this before there were cops in the schools? What's the standard procedure for minor disciplinary issues these days?

The student was arrested? On what charge? Using a cell phone in a classroom isn't illegal in any state. WTH??
You might want to actually read through this thread to see why you are so misinformed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Now let's stop and think about this for a minute...not necessarily about your posts, but about many of the posts here.

Many posts on this thread have said that authority should be respected.

Therefore, the police chief's authority and judgement should be respected here.

Period.

Or do some of those who were touting "authority", now disagree with themselves that "authority" must be respected?
Did I miss where anybody said the police chief didn't have the authority to fire him?

Did anybody say some body should intervene and stop the chief from firing him?

Did anybody say the chief should be fired for firing him?

I'm trying to see where you came to the conclusion that his authority wasn't respected.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:49 PM

51,648 posts, read 25,803,785 times
It's a wonder they find anybody to teach kids these days.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:54 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

Did I miss where anybody said the police chief didn't have the authority to fire him?

Did anybody say some body should intervene and stop the chief from firing him?

Did anybody say the chief should be fired for firing him?

I'm trying to see where you came to the conclusion that his authority wasn't respected.
Or do we see the officer who was fired refusing to leave the force? Maybe he should go to the police station, sit in a chair and refuse to move.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:55 PM

50,783 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I started seeing it about ten years ago when many families moved to our state seeking services.

The change occurred within the space of about two years. One day I'm walking down a high school hall and one girl jerks another by her hair, knocks her to the ground, and kicks her. The vice-principal breaks them up and sends them both back to class. I ask why no discipline and he said it happens all day. There's no way to stop it. Unless someone is hurt, they let it slide with a warning.

He was right. Hallways that had been crowded, maybe a little shoving here and there a year or so before that now hosted fights on a regular basis.

I worked in several HS over the years. The ones with the most diversity had the most behavior problems, hands down.

I see where this case is now being pursued as a civil rights issue.
Must have been a lousy administration (and I say that as a retired principal).

So I'll give an alternative situation. This was in about that same time frame you mention. We were beginning to plan our school's renovation, and I was encouraged to visit a particular high school that had recently been renovated by the same contractor that was going to renovate out school; the purpose -- tips to request in our renovation and pitfalls to avoid.

The high school was literally on the edge of the community with the worst Latino gang problem in all of the Virginia suburbs, including MS-13. It was the most violent neighborhood in northern Virginia, although there were worse over in the Maryland burbs. I dreaded even going into the school, and dreaded parking my car there.

When I arrived at the school, no students outside, except in P.E. classes. As we walked the halls, the hallways were clear; students were in their classrooms. The principal told me to randomly pick a couple of classrooms to visit; good learning environments. Went into the cafeteria at lunch time; relatively calm cafeteria situation.

Would I have wanted to be principal at that school? Absolutely not. I'm sure it was a constant struggle. But it can be done.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:56 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,593,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Or do we see the officer who was fired refusing to leave the force? Maybe he should go to the police station, sit in a chair and refuse to move.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:18 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,153 times
The "cop" has been fired nuff said. When your own department thinks you did wrong that says it all because cops never go against each other. It's rare to see a cop fired.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:00 PM

17,154 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
I have taught behavioral problem students in inner city schools. Most of the postings I have seen indicate that most people have no clue what it is like including the person that spent 33 years in the system. First, this resource officer was punched by this girl. She refused to cooperate with the classroom teacher and therefore the resource officer was called. She was violently defiant and needed to be removed from the classroom and she was. It was necessary for the police officer (resource officer) to use physical strength to move this animalistic brat. It appears that most are not aware that she had punched the policeman. I wish he had tased her. But, here we go, it is being made a racial issue when it happens in special classes for HD students more often than one would imagine. I can assure you that the girls mother will do nothing to make sure her daughter acts like a normal human. Her interest will likely concern a law suit. I am sickened that this police officer has been fired. People should be concerned about controlling disruptive students instead of thinking that they are just "poor little children." So many are so absolutely clueless. Get brats like her out of our schools. They destroy our public school systems. And, for those that have never seen or heard of anything like this before, wake up and smell the roses. There is a real world outside of your lily white suburban community schools. I taught these kids for three years after 25 years in the U.S. Army (airborne). Jumping out of planes and fighting wars was much more pleasant.
When did she punch the officer? Are you referring to her arm flailing and touching him as he tackled her (along with her desk) in suplex fashion to the ground?
She was sitting in her chair being defiant. He put her in a chokehold, threw her to the ground, and then claimed to have been struck while she was falling back.
You go ahead and try to punch someone while falling back in a chair with some 250+lbs (man and desk) falling with you. It's borderline impossible. Case in point, his authority figure saw no need for such force, no such punch that warranted this, and he was fired.
If you can't handle the task that comes with the job of dealing with unruly, defiant inner-city teenage kids, don't sign up for it. I know I wouldn't be able to, and as such, I chose a different career field.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:02 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 25 days ago)

27,640 posts, read 16,123,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
I have taught behavioral problem students in inner city schools. Most of the postings I have seen indicate that most people have no clue what it is like including the person that spent 33 years in the system. First, this resource officer was punched by this girl. She refused to cooperate with the classroom teacher and therefore the resource officer was called. She was violently defiant and needed to be removed from the classroom and she was. It was necessary for the police officer (resource officer) to use physical strength to move this animalistic brat. It appears that most are not aware that she had punched the policeman. I wish he had tased her. But, here we go, it is being made a racial issue when it happens in special classes for HD students more often than one would imagine. I can assure you that the girls mother will do nothing to make sure her daughter acts like a normal human. Her interest will likely concern a law suit. I am sickened that this police officer has been fired. People should be concerned about controlling disruptive students instead of thinking that they are just "poor little children." So many are so absolutely clueless. Get brats like her out of our schools. They destroy our public school systems. And, for those that have never seen or heard of anything like this before, wake up and smell the roses. There is a real world outside of your lily white suburban community schools. I taught these kids for three years after 25 years in the U.S. Army (airborne). Jumping out of planes and fighting wars was much more pleasant.
you must have a lot of patience.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:09 PM

51,648 posts, read 25,803,785 times
This school's in a bind. They can't physically force this student, or any student, to behave appropriately. She declined to follow the instructions of the teacher, the principal, whoever else was called in, and the resource guy who was way out of line by trying to wrestle her out of the door.

But what would be a better way to handle it?

Just let it go?

Drop her from the class?

The school has an obligation to foster a learning environment. How can they do that if students pay no attention to the teachers or the principals?

Old 10-28-2015, 03:10 PM

357 posts, read 37,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
Edit: and yes my child is 21 years old and I never had a school behavior issue. Most students follow the rules!!

I agree, I raised two boys and was never called about behavior issues regarding either one of them; I did go to the parent teacher conferences and it was academic issues, not behavior issues!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies