Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2015, 07:00 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times

Advertisements

It's really a shame that a 'School Resource Officer' isn't a child psychologist, but a police officer.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I was reading the Christian Science Monitor and just learned that Birmingham, Alabama allows cops to use pepper spray on students and more than 300 cases have been reported.

S.C. officer fired: Why districts are rethinking cops as school disciplinarian - CSMonitor.com

"Between 2006 and 2011, officers there used pepper spray on 300 students in 110 incidents involving minor disciplinary problems such as back-talking and challenging authority, alleged a class-action lawsuit filed by the Southern Poverty Law Center."

"One of the plaintiffs in the suit was a 10th-grader who was crying after trying to get away from a boy making sexual comments. After an officer told her to calm down, she was pepper-sprayed in the face and handcuffed because she did not stop crying, the girl testified."

I don't want to go off-topic, but this is all shocking to me. When did school become a police state?
The answer to this <bold> is when the disconnect between parents/schools/students happened. When parents abdicated their role in dealing with schools, their responsibility of handling discipline,guidance and control at home and instead just pass their problems off with the attitude "let the schools deal with it".
THAT is when/why this happened.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:28 AM

1,077 posts, read 871,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
The answer to this <bold> is when the disconnect between parents/schools/students happened. When parents abdicated their role in dealing with schools, their responsibility of handling discipline,guidance and control at home and instead just pass their problems off with the attitude "let the schools deal with it".
THAT is when/why this happened.

Is there a link to all that you say above? how in the heck do you know if the parents are the ones who passed their responsibilities onto the school or police?

How do you know this is why it happened?

Old 10-29-2015, 07:43 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
Is there a link to all that you say above? how in the heck do you know if the parents are the ones who passed their responsibilities onto the school or police?

How do you know this is why it happened?
I'm not saying IN THIS particular situation. Please re-read the bolded part and my response.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:51 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I do notice that her foster parents have not spoken out and you had better believe this is the lack of home training and she is most definitely a spoiled brat . we heard a voice mail yesterday sent to the local news and the boy said all this could have been avoided if she had done what was asked of her and he added that his parents would have knocked the snot out of him if he dared said anything out of the way to a teacher or anyone in authority .. So there you have it her classmates speaking out and telling her she is wrong .
That's not true. Her parents have spoken out.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2414453

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-03-2015 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 10-29-2015, 08:26 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
That's not true. Her parents have spoken out.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2414453

I think people just make stuff up on here without doing any kind of research.
I find it a bit bizarre to mention "make stuff up" when there isn't a single quote in that linked story from her parents.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:33 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
Whoa, are you defending what this now fired officer did? It's officers like him that give officers a bad rap.

For such a 'minor' offense, was his over the top, excessive use of force truly necessary?

Or did he appear to loose control of his own behavior/impulse control?

Do we truly hold the adolescent teen, all of 16, more responsible than the adult who decided it was appropriate to fling her around like some rag doll?

She has an arm in a cast with neck/back injuries. Does it seem proportionate for this minor offense?

I wonder when the State of South Carolina took away the right of a school to issue a punishment for disruption and deem it criminal? Which I believe is part of the problem. The school should have handled it not the police.

People who have children in SC Schools should truly try and get that statute amended or completely thrown away.
I'm not defending what this officer did at all. But I was not there. Neither were you. So we don't know what happened up to, and including, the incident where she was tossed.

I was pointing out that the armchair quarterbacks stupidly suggested using a taser or pepper spray, when that would have also brought outrage and the firing of the officer. The moment he was called in, he was in a no-win situation. No matter what he did, because he was white and she was black, it would have been "too much".

And very few here have even come close to suggesting what should have been done. Short of tasering or pepper spraying (which would have been outrageous) and waiting her out (which would have punished all the kids in class that were there to learn), nobody has come up with any rational ideas of how this should have been handled.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:36 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,792,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

Resist - you get manhandled.

Don't resist - you are hauled away peacefully.
This it's not always true.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:44 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
... nobody has come up with any rational ideas of how this should have been handled.
Yes, someone did, although I forget the poster's name.

She suggested that the cop could have just pulled the entire desk/chair out of the room with the student in it. I believe he was strong enough to do that.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:45 AM

1,077 posts, read 871,019 times
Quote:
I'm not defending what this officer did at all. But I was not there. Neither were you. So we don't know what happened up to, and including, the incident where she was tossed.

I was pointing out that the armchair quarterbacks stupidly suggested using a taser or pepper spray, when that would have also brought outrage and the firing of the officer. The moment he was called in, he was in a no-win situation. No matter what he did, because he was white and she was black, it would have been "too much".

And very few here have even come close to suggesting what should have been done. Short of tasering or pepper spraying (which would have been outrageous) and waiting her out (which would have punished all the kids in class that were there to learn), nobody has come up with any rational ideas of how this should have been handled.

No we weren't present when it went down we did get to see 3 separate vids of this incident. All show the SRO deserved to be fired.

I do not believe this has to do with race as much as it has to do with abuse of authority and excessive use of force.

I also feel the SRO is there for violence, not refusal to do something that automatically gets turned into a misdemeanor and cause for an arrest.

The video I placed above shows a melee which involved many students and a principal flung to the ground, that truly fits the disruptive student statute and all should be arrested that participated in this fist fight.

One idea was to have the teacher clear the classroom, let him or her continue to teach the students as the SRO has someone call home and bring the parent in. Let their parent see how obstinate and disrespectful their teen is. Then he/she gets a punishment to fit the severity of the disruption like detention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies