Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 03:13 PM

17,138 posts, read 15,341,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Mmmmmmm. I'm torn on this one. Sendinv a cop in to deal with this is swatting a fly with a 12 ga. How should we have expected this to end? A cop vegs non compliance, they use force. End of story. Tbags how ghehre grained these days. Even a bing of escalation from a "suspect", winds up in an MMA match. The police should NOT have been involved in this. This little snot nosed brat needed dealing with, a d she desperately needed and deserved an azz whuppin'. But, in a more ..subtle..manner, that shamed her in front of her peers. A brain power whuppin'. She's not so bright. Wouldn't have been that bard to do, but, cops don't think like that. They put the problem down to the mat.

I don't blame the cop so much. He was out of his area. This shouldn't have even had the door cracked open for this to happen. If schools are that bad, where a simple disciplinary issue with a bratty little bit**, needs a cop to deal with, I just don't know....

THIS I agree with. In the real world, if the cop asks you to do something within reason (search you and car after K9 "smelled" something, even if you KNOW it to be a lie), just comply. If you fail to, they WILL USE FORCE.
A cop being called in over a bratty kid who pulled out her phone? Ridiculous.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:14 PM

168 posts, read 135,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
She doesn't really have any parents anymore. She has new fosters. We don't know anything about them. We just know the history of the foster care system.

Which brings up a question. Where is her father?

Old 10-29-2015, 03:16 PM

17,138 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan20 View Post
Which brings up a question. Where is her father?
Not in the picture, obviously.
If she wasn't handed over to him, it's either he lives across the world and has no interaction with her whatsoever, he's dead, or he's incarcerated... Or deemed a threat to her well-being.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:27 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
There are of course going to be exceptions that prove the rule …
Inner city is one thing...and even then there are decent schools out there.
There are plenty of good to great suburban schools

Old 10-29-2015, 03:33 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I said parents. Not teacher, principals and police.

And BTW, I sure did defy teachers on plenty of occasions while in HS. We were supposed to tuck our shirts in. Half the time, I didn't. We were supposed to keep our school ID hanging from our neck at all times. Half the time I didn't. We were supposed to keep quiet in class. Again, (see above.)
I got kicked out of class plenty of times for those things. Got lots of detention. A few times, I forged my mother's signature on letters explaining why I couldn't go to detention (and forgery is a MAJOR crime when discovered.) I didn't turn out to be a criminal. I didn't do drugs. I got in a few fights, but that was mostly the result of my being bullied in my freshman year. I wasn't a fighter. I wasn't a "bad" child. Just a bit rebellious at times.
I still ended up with good grades and with a prolific college experience. Ignoring teachers doesn't mean a child is "bad," nor does it mean a parent failed to raise the child properly. You think my mother didn't do her best to punish me for acting a fool? She was one to ALWAYS agree with teachers, regardless of whether they really were right or wrong. I still acted out -- like most teenagers do at some point.
It's always about "cases," isn't it … ???

But in your case, you are still today years later outright PROUD of having been a borderline delinquent … Okay ...

Old 10-29-2015, 03:38 PM

1,077 posts, read 871,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
It's always about "cases," isn't it … ???

But in your case, you are still today years later outright PROUD of having been a borderline delinquent … Okay ...

another one who gave me a huge belly laugh.

I guess you missed her entire post.

she/he turned out to be a productive member of society. That was the point you missed. Rebelled as a teen but damn if she didn't succeed.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:43 PM

192 posts, read 249,545 times
Quote:

THIS I agree with. In the real world, if the cop asks you to do something within reason (search you and car after K9 "smelled" something, even if you KNOW it to be a lie), just comply. If you fail to, they WILL USE FORCE.
A cop being called in over a bratty kid who pulled out her phone? Ridiculous.
Since when do cops use THAT kind of force...on a non-violent teen, no less? It's insane how people are okay with cops acting like power-tripping *******s. If you're not being combative, a cop might reach for your arm to put you in handcuffs, but he absolutely would not body-slam you to the ground and then toss you across the room, come on. You only do **** like that if a criminal is being aggressive...and you do it to stop the aggressiveness, not harm the criminal.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:44 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
I left, of course. We had this HUGE and ALWAYS-ANGRY security lady. I was scared ****-less of her lol.

And yes, I do understand that this is a very different response than this girl's. I used me as an example of a defiant teenager who wasn't "bad," and who didn't grow up to be a criminal.
Defiant and teenager pretty much go hand in hand; however, the vast majority of defiant teenagers back down pretty fast.

After hearing about her situation, it changed my opinion about her behavior a bit. I'm not excusing her behavior, but I can see how it may have pushed her to not be her and respond in a way that isn't a true representation of who she is.

Of course my speculation is just that, speculation.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
Her Mother and grandmother dying have nothing to do with her not being able to follow the rules set forth by her school. These rules were long in place before she lost her guardians. IF she is so damaged than she shouldn't be in school to begin with. Since she is a ward of the state she should be put in a state run mental institution to receive the help she needs or she will wake the **** up and get over it real quick.
You are completely missing the *****ing point. No one is saying that she shouldn't have been reprimanded. We're saying that she SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN FLUNG ACROSS THE ROOM. Sheesh, why is that so hard to understand? Literally, no one is saying that the cop should have put up with her mess, but he had no right to use that amount of force. Cops are authority figures, yes, but there's a reason why there are protocols in place even for them. A cop just can't go manhandling anyone he wants for minor infractions (which is what this was, let's be honest). Believe it or not, people who don't listen to authority still have rights...namely, the right to not get thrown around like a ragdoll, especially when you're not being violent towards said authority figure.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:49 PM

For the people who are saying she got what she deserved: I wonder how you would feel if a cop slammed you to the ground and threw you across the room for doing something on par with what she did. How about getting body slammed every time you jaywalk? Or every time you go over the speed limit? I bet you'd be singing a totally different tune if a cop used violent force against you for doing something wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies