Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 02:48 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,784,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
VERY few states allow you to own a 50K vehicle and get food stamps. Note-I did NOT say "own a car" which is what you are implying.
Please cite the qualifications of automobile ownership.

I've witnessed, many times, a person drive up to the grocery store in a brand new higher end car... only to use food stamps or EBT card to pay for their groceries. Most of the time they just send everything through, and force the cashier to pull what isn't covered which they promptly pay cash for.

Is everyone like this? Don't be absurd, nobody is saying everyone on welfare is.

Is there wide spread abuse? Of course there is! You didn't abuse the system (I would hope) and were flat broke, which is exactly who welfare is supposed to help. The more abusers there are, the less there is to help those WHO REALLY NEED IT!

It's really that simple.

Are you against oversight? Are you against making welfare available only to those who absolutely need it?

You sound like anyone who wants the system to be managed properly are the idiots, and that is idiotic.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:33 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

I've witnessed, many times, a person drive up to the grocery store in a brand new higher end car... only to use food stamps or EBT card to pay for their groceries. Most of the time they just send everything through, and force the cashier to pull what isn't covered which they promptly pay cash for.

Is everyone like this? Don't be absurd, nobody is saying everyone on welfare is.

Is there wide spread abuse? Of course there is! You didn't abuse the system (I would hope) and were flat broke, which is exactly who welfare is supposed to help. The more abusers there are, the less there is to help those WHO REALLY NEED IT!

It's really that simple.

Are you against oversight? Are you against making welfare available only to those who absolutely need it?

You sound like anyone who wants the system to be managed properly are the idiots, and that is idiotic.
Heres the qualification by state. Most follow federal limits, but a few make exceptions. Thats something to discuss at the state level.

Assets - States Vehicle Policy Chart

BTW fun fact-when I was on food stamps I also got to drive a REALLY expensive vehicle while shopping. Wasn't mine, belonged to a friend who allowed me to use it to shop for food. I did not own a vehicle at the time. Don't miss those days.

I have no issue with properly managing the system, but all too often thats not the goal of people here. Some of the folks here have a serious hatred of the poor.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:15 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,144,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
... programs like food stamps and housing vouchers reduce poverty by almost twice as much as first thought.
Definitely can't say the same about their obesity rates.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:29 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Definitely can't say the same about their obesity rates.
This obesity nonsense again?

#1 question. Are they more likely unemployed because they are fat, and less attractive?

#2 Does being poor and unable to afford healthier food make you fatter?

#3 Do they overeat do to having so much money for food that they buy nothing but ice cream and steaks?

Yeah. Try living off of the food stamps they receive. People who do it know that food stamp folks cant eat steak much. They can however eat lots of ramen. Not exactly health food.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:47 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,144,780 times
Quote:

#1 question. Are they more likely unemployed because they are fat, and less attractive?

#3 Do they overeat do to having so much money for food that they buy nothing but ice cream and steaks?

Yeah. Try living off of the food stamps they receive. People who do it know that food stamp folks cant eat steak much. They can however eat lots of ramen. Not exactly health food.
Last time I lost a significant amount of weight, my food expenses for a few months dropped by more than half. And I was eating the same things I normally ate, just much less of it. I didn't switch to this so-called "healthy" food, whatever that means.

Please stop supporting non-sense with more non-sense.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:10 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,540,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
A new study by the National Bureau of Economic Research has suggested that programs like food stamps and housing vouchers reduce poverty by almost twice as much as first thought.

"According to standard census numbers, the poverty rate in New York from 2008 to 2011 was 13.6 percent, before taking these programs into account. The programs the study examines — food stamps (a.k.a. SNAP), welfare (a.k.a. TANF), state-level general assistance programs, and housing aid — dropped that down to 10.8 percent. But the study suggests the real number was even lower: a mere 8.3 percent."

Study: Food stamps do much more to fight poverty than we thought - Vox

The estimated poverty-fighting power of these programs has been dramatically understated for years. Turns out anti-poverty programs not only work, but work better than we thought.
Even by Bot standards, the above is one of the stupidest things written here.

Leeches wanna leech.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:38 AM

88,975 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:

Very possibly.

Quote:
No. Even the USDA admits that among all who qualify for SNAP, only those who receive SNAP benefits have a higher obesity rate.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:20 AM

35,688 posts, read 21,035,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

It's really that simple.

The Cato Institute estimates that federal subsidies to corporations cost taxpayers almost $100 billion every year
yes abuse!

I know one thing, many people share cars - and it is true they will have a nicer car than a nicer home,because it is easy to put effort and funds on what is more affordable. 3-- the appearence of NOT being poor is very real... you think people like being poor and not having thier own-- wrong

Old 11-02-2015, 05:44 AM

88,975 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
[b]The Cato Institute estimates that federal subsidies to corporations cost taxpayers almost $100 billion every year
yes abuse!
John and Jane Worker and Jack and Jill Retiree in aggregate have more wealth invested in corporations than do the rich by a margin of more than 2 to 1. Attack corporations, and you attack Main Street America's retirement.

Retirement Question 4 | EBRI

Old 11-02-2015, 05:52 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,723,050 times
Quote:

Their caloric intake is way too high for their activity level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies