Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 12:54 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times

Advertisements

In a civil lawsuit like this, $240,000 is a ridiculous amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 12:54 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Employers must accommodate requests from their employees for religious reasons as long as the request doesn't have more than a minimal effect on the business. The employees asked not to ship alcohol and instead ship other items, the employer refused that request. When questioned in court over the issue the company admitted that having them ship other items would not have had an impact on the business, hence why they were fined.
And further in some reports it was stated that the accommodation was agreed to by the company before the drivers were hired.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:58 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
again define "reasonable accommodation" and define "undue hardship to the company." There is no standard, you know it, I know it.
Well the company knows it, they didn't even argue the case.

That was $240K for 2 people by the way, they were fired in 2009 and suit was not filed until 2013 and just recently awarded. I have seen far worse.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well the company knows it, they didn't even argue the case.

That was $240K for 2 people by the way, they were fired in 2009 and suit was not filed until 2013 and just recently awarded. I have seen far worse.
Have they found another job in 4 years?

The company should have hired better attorneys.

That is how I see it. If you must insist these two have been discriminated against because of their religion, I don't think I can agree. But that is just my opinion. no more, no less.

by the way, if you claim you have seen worse, I would have to take your words for it, but

Reasonable accommodations" is another way of saying you may also receive a small sum of money in addition to back pay, reinstatement, or promotion. Monetary awards in individual job discrimination suits are normally quite low, so don't expect to receive very much if you win.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:10 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:

That is how I see it. If you must insist these two have been discriminated against because of their religion, I don't think I can agree. But that is just my opinion. no more, no less.

by the way, if you claim you have seen worse, I would have to take your words for it, but

Reasonable accommodations" is another way of saying you may also receive a small sum of money in addition to back pay, reinstatement, or promotion. Monetary awards in individual job discrimination suits are normally quite low, so don't expect to receive very much if you win.

Back pay likely made up the bulk of the settlement.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:11 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
The other instances of Muslims suing businesses are; Abercrombie, Swift meat packing, and Hertz.
In the abercrombie case even Scalia says that she could have been easily accommodated. It's a scarf, not a full burka.

The Swift case they claimed that supervisors threw meat and bones at them and harassed them, that is before them asking to have their evening break moved to accommodate prayer. Maybe the moving of a break would be an issue on a production line, if so then the company can show it would be an issue, but throwing bones, and guts at employees is gross, and probably could be considered assault.

In the Hertz case, I don't think they stand a chance. They were given accommodations to pray, but are now upset that they have to clock out and in for those breaks. They were accommodated, end of story.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:12 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Back pay likely made up the bulk of the settlement.
And they probably won't see a dime since the company is no longer in business.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:13 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,835,363 times
Should the guys have won? Yeah. Should they have been awarded that much? I don't think so.

I see both sides here and my opinion falls in the middle, but also sides with both parties. A refusal to do your job should be a terminating offense. Refusing to do it on religious grounds, while protected, should not be grounds to sue if you're fired. However, firing because of a religious objection to the work is somewhat unjust.

I do have to question if the drivers knew this company transported alcohol and why they chose to seek employment if they knew that.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:15 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:

Go see post #82 one christian woman awarded $587K, several million in awards by EEOC each year for relgious discrimination.

Depends on how long they were out of work, lost wages and other compensation, $120K is not that outlandish for one person. This thread wouldn't even have been created if they were christian.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Go see post #82 one christian woman awarded $587K, several million in awards by EEOC each year for relgious discrimination.

Depends on how long they were out of work, lost wages and other compensation, $120K is not that outlandish for one person. This thread wouldn't even have been created if they were christian.
That is wrong too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies