Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 11:56 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,494,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
Reppies to you! My dh just retired from the Calf. Air National Guard. Did he go to Iraq? Yes! Did he go to Afghanistan? Yes! Did he risk his life rescuing someone by helicopter because the putz didn't bring a cell-phone, a compass or a bottle of water? Yes! ....nuff...said!

I do hope the door from California kicks me in the butt. Happy to leave here. Good luck to you all, you'll need it!
California has been kicking you in the butt from that first day you moved their, Or from the day your born their.
Don't let em kick you on your way out. Cal is cesspool and it's time to get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 12:16 PM

413 posts, read 909,436 times
I think it's well within the city's right to enact and enforce policies that are not unconstitutional. As long as the policies are representative of the electorate, what's the problem?

Old 02-18-2008, 12:58 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,637 times
This is democracy in action, don't cry foul just because you disagree. The local govenrment is expressing the interests of its residents. Recruiters are notoriously unscrupulous and opportunistic. People don't want their kids fighting in a war with questionable justifications, debatable benefits to our security, and no end in sight.

Any reason why it was just the Marine Corp? Can the other branches still recruit?

Old 02-18-2008, 01:11 PM

413 posts, read 909,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
This is democracy in action, don't cry foul just because you disagree. The local govenrment is expressing the interests of its residents. Recruiters are notoriously unscrupulous and opportunistic. People don't want their kids fighting in a war with questionable justifications, debatable benefits to our security, and no end in sight.

Any reason why it was just the Marine Corp? Can the other branches still recruit?
That's what I want to know. We're hearing little expansion of the topic in the media. It's not surprising, since the media like to portray Berkeley as the hotbed of anti-military sentiments.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:38 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
But the City residents are OK with homeless and drug addicts and the run-of-the mill crime and day-to-day problems that a city faces? The hippy-dip city government just blew it on this one. I hope to god this whole thing didn't cost them any city dollars that could have been used to build a park or improve a local school. Leave the protests to the citizens. The city's job is taking care of the city. If someone wants to pay rent for a storefront, and it's legal for them to be there, then suck it up.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:45 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,133 times
I am a former Californian and I even went to Cal as an undergrad during the dark age between the hippy/free speech 60s and the current what ever this is. It is just too much now.

What gets me is that they should at least stick to their guns and not back off if they REALLY feel so strongly. This back peddling is embarrassing. What do they really believe?

Old 02-18-2008, 02:55 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Its Berkeley. I'm surprised they haven't done this before. Liberals love free speech and free association until they don't agree someone else's opinion.
And Republicans would love less goverment except when it suits them.
RE: abortion, gay rights,immigration,etc

Old 02-18-2008, 03:38 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Observe who's constantly doing everything possible to neuter the military and who strongly supports the military. Its pretty clear who's on which side most of the time.
Implication being that "liberals" (whomever they're supposed to be) are responsible for "neutering" the military. That's a laugh! Remember WW2 and Vietnam? Both engagements of U.S. involvement started at the behest of Democrats. Somalia, Sudan bombing, Kosovo, all Democrats.

One of the biggest proponents of a smaller military these days is Ron Paul. Last I checked, he's a Republican.

But anyway, some of the least belligerent and most passive among us are people who have seen combat or war first-hand. This has nothing to do with liberal vs. conservative. It has to do with life experience, maturity and wisdom.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 02-18-2008 at 04:11 PM..

Old 02-18-2008, 04:58 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,724,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
about the City of Berkeley's stance against the Marines?

They are pigs................lower that pigs.........Scum sucking pigs.....

Carrie

Old 02-19-2008, 02:10 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,637,863 times
Can you elaborate? Are you talking about the Marines or the town of Berkeley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
They are pigs................lower that pigs.........Scum sucking pigs.....

Carrie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies