Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2015, 10:44 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I've known a few. Most of them seem to take their faith seriously, but were otherwise just like everyone else I know. A few appeared to be Muslims in name only - maybe that's more common than we think.

By "everyone else" I mean that they run the gamut in personalities. For example, some were very hard working, while others were kind of slackers.

So does anybody else know any Muslims from their personal experiences?
Yes. We have 3-4 Muslim clients. Some are hard working and some not, as you say, just like in most cultures. One went back to Palestine, owing us $1,500, with assurances that he was good for it......LOL. I hope an Israeli knocks him off...

Another one is very devout and he and his wife are very personable. They ALL want you to do things for nothing, though. A lot of the Indians are the same way. They will nickel and dime you to death.

We had one who was a real bandit in his business dealings. Pulled every corrupt trick in the book and then got mad at us when he good caught. He has made and lost a lot of money. He is on the down low, right now, and bad mouthing us.....<s>

I think my good muslim clients are the exception rather than the rule. JMO>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 10:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Probably but like most Yankees I never ask a person's religion. That is impolite.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:02 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yeah, I guess dating a muslim for 7 years, I know nothing.
So by your own admission you have no ability to be objective in your opinion regarding this subject.

The same might be said of me for someone disliking Russians as my wife is one.

The only reasonable thing for you to do at this point is excuse yourself from the discussion.

You now have my pity for your situation.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:29 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
So by your own admission you have no ability to be objective in your opinion regarding this subject.

The same might be said of me for someone disliking Russians as my wife is one.

The only reasonable thing for you to do at this point is excuse yourself from the discussion.

You now have my pity for your situation.
I have every reason to hate and mistrust Muslims as my people have been tortured and tormented by them for hundreds of years, not just a couple of decades.

But I am not a flippin' idiot who paints all people with one broad brush. I am also not an unfit parent who teaches my kids to hate people for arbitrary nonsense.

I don't know anything about your ability to be objective, but I have a very good sense of your inability to apply common sense and human decency.

Btw, I am not a liberal, but conservatives like you make me embarrassed to be one.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:43 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
"Asians" then? Not sure what we are supposed to be calling them, but I've heard them referred to as Orientals.

Rugs are oriental, people aren't. That term is a relic that belongs with terms like negro - not exactly a slur, but offensive nonetheless.

Why would the term negro be offensive? It is nothing more than a descriptive term to describe a group of people. Afro-American is misleading as many real Afro-Americans are white.

First on CNN: Army says word 'Negro' OK to use - CNNPolitics.com
Don't you think it's time to get over the outdated use of the term "Negro"?

Old 11-02-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Islam was founded nearly 700 years after Christ went to the Cross.

While Christ was hear on earth, he warned about many false prophets that would come and deceive many.

Jesus said, "I am the first and I am the last." He also said, "No one comes to the Father except through me."

Yet Islam claims to be "superior?" It was a made-up religion from the beginning. It is a cult. Mohammad was a pedophile lunatic. His followers told him that God must be speaking to him.

The reason Christ was sent to earth was to announce the Good News (Gospel) of salvation by Faith in Christ. Man reconciled to God through Faith in Jesus, not by works. How could Islam be superior to that? It is a "religion" of works and obedience, the very things Christ told us would not save us. Obedience to the Law does not save, because no one can keep the Law perfectly. Therefore Christ came to sacrifice himself, to take our sins upon himself.

Finally, Islam slaughters millions in the name of Allah. They claim that is what they are required to do, "kill the infidel." But for them, all those who are not Muslims are "Infidels."

Does that sound like a superior "religion."
And so we have 2 religions, neither of which can be proved, both of which attract millions.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
There are none, and will never be any, in my work environment. They may not be officially forbidden, but I've never seen nor come across any.

Some in the neighborhood, but we give each other a wide berth by an unspoken mutual agreement.

One in my daughters class, and she knows not to interact at all. I've told the teacher not to ever pair them up on any assignments.
Shameful way to treat a child.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:

I don't want them near my child under any circumstances. I can't keep one from the school, but I can mandate the degree of interaction. I am on extremely good and familiar terms with the administration and teachers at the school, and I think such a request is not out of line to make. It's a private school and my donations to the annual fund are significant, so I do think that such a request is reasonable to accommodate without objection.

Ah, money buys influence.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:46 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am sorry, but can you please put yourself in other people's shoes?

You dated a Muslim lady, so I assume Muslims have brought joy and happiness in your life. Good for you and you are very lucky.

Many are simply not that lucky.

For those who only have had bad or even traumatic experiences with them, you can certainly understand why they think the way they think. Can't you?

What are you going to feel if you lost friends, arms, legs, loved ones?

No one should paint a group people with a broad brush, but why can't you be a little bit gentle with others who are obviously suffering and are in pain?

For example, I always tell my friend "think about your son, we all need to coexist with somebody, like it or not." He is doing much better now. No amount of shaming and personal attack will fix other people's feelings simply because you don't know what others have been through.
I was raped by a white man. Should I hate all white men? Christians burned a cross on my lawn as a child, threatened violence upon my family during my childhood, and discriminated against me for teen jobs until I left the Bible Belt where I was raised. Should I hate all Christians?

No. Because I'm a grown up. Which is why I have no hate or fear of Muslims despite losing family friends on 9/11, family to terrorist attacks in Israel, and narrowly missing both the Boston Marathon bombing because I was called into work (friends I normally went with were in the blast zone) and the violence the night the brothers were on the run (I left the Stata Center 10 minutes before my neighbor Sgt. Collier was assassinated in front).

So no, I cannot understand why they think the way they think. Bad parenting, I suppose. Never at any point in my life did it even cross my mind to hate, distrust, or disrespect 1.57 billion people who represent hundreds of languages, ethnic groups, Quranic interpretations, and nationalities, much less individual personal theological, ethical, and political views. It would never cross my mind to think negatively of the 3 million living in the USA. Why would it?

Old 11-02-2015, 12:50 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I was raped by a white man. Should I hate all white men? Christians burned a cross on my lawn as a child, threatened violence upon my family during my childhood, and discriminated against me for teen jobs until I left the Bible Belt where I was raised. Should I hate all Christians?

No. Because I'm a grown up. Which is why I have no hate or fear of Muslims despite losing family friends on 9/11, family to terrorist attacks in Israel, and narrowly missing both the Boston Marathon bombing because I was called into work (friends I normally went with were in the blast zone) and the violence the night the brothers were on the run (I left the Stata Center 10 minutes before my neighbor Sgt. Collier was assassinated in front).

So no, I cannot understand why they think the way they think. Bad parenting, I suppose.
Never said you should hate all white men, I never said he (the poster) should be hating all Muslim either. But do I understand why he felt the way he did, you bet I do.

I am ONLY saying in the Trauma counseling perspective, there is no time line of grief. People will be ready to break the ice and get to know somebody when they are READY.

No amount of shaming and personal attack will help the situation.

I've lost a boyfriend (he was a criminal defense attorney) to suicide several years ago. I understand one thing or two about trauma and how people deal with trauma.

There is no such a thing as "wrong" feeling, there is a thing called wrong ways of coping with the feelings. Creating a non-judgmental surrounding for people go through trauma is essential for their growth and coping.

It is ALL I am saying. Please don't make my post into something different. That is it.

by the way, even if you do hate all white men, or hate all Christians, I would still say "understandable" A good trauma counselor would guide you and help you find a healthy way coping with your feelings, because negativity, let's face it, can ONLY hurt you, not others. The poster you people are attacking is somebody lost his friends in such a brutal way, maybe keep this in your mind will ease the anger a bit.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 11-02-2015 at 12:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies