Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 12:14 PM

39,028 posts, read 27,438,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

I'll say, the Muslims seem to be fairly cordial in polite company, but they tend to be a bit "standoffish", and very serious. I don't find them to be "bad people" necessarily, but I highly doubt they would ever in a million years be my friend. And we need to make sure we separate friend from acquaintance. A lot of people have a tendency to lump friends and acquaintances together.

A real friend, is someone who, if your life didn't overlap for that moment, you would still be their friend. I have had a lot of coworkers and roommates who tend to think of me as their friend. But I try to explain to them nicely, that the second they no longer work with me, or live with me, is the day I stop talking to them. I'm just not going to drive across town to see them. At best I might wish them a happy birthday on facebook.

The only people I go out of my way to spend time with, are my "real friends", who tend to be very similar to me, and have similar interests, and similar backgrounds. And then my family.
Good post. I agree.

All my friends accept me for me, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I do the same for them. We all came from similar backgrounds, and our values are all pretty much the same.

I don't think Muslim are bad people either, but doubt they want to be my friend and the feeling is perhaps mutual. Live and let live I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 12:18 PM

46,865 posts, read 25,830,287 times
Sure thing - former and current colleagues. Not that it ever really came up, I don't poke in such matters - just a matter of days off, diet, alcohol etc.

My Iranian colleague in Germany and his fiancee sure broke the "subservient, modest Muslim woman" mold for me - she was smoking hot, showed it off, and sure as all out didn't take the back seat in their relationship. When she was mad, she'd call him at the office - I have no Persian at all, but you can pretty much recognize a man saying "Sorry, dear" in any language.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:35 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,223,992 times
I did when I went to immigrant school. Most of the other people there were Muslims from the Middle East and Somalia. Most of us got on just fine (the Russian and German girls didn't like the Muslim guys very much and mostly kept to themselves). They were friendly, were happy to discuss religion and explain things, very sensitive about pork and generally just like any other person except for the pork thing.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:41 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,849,108 times
I know a few Muslims and by and large they are good people. They keep their faith to themselves for the most part. Does mean all or most muslims are like they are? I don't know. What I do know is that America welcomed Muslims into our country. Allowed them freedom, the same freedom we all enjoy. We also saw on 911 muslims in America celebrating the terror attacks against this Nation. I think the majority of Muslims in the world are peaceful, I question the muslims of the ME.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:57 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,051,032 times
My kid is good friends with a girl who is Muslim. Her friend and her family are very bright and wonderful people. Better than some so called Christians I know including my own family.

Old 10-31-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
My kid is good friends with a girl who is Muslim. Her friend and her family are very bright and wonderful people. Better than some so called Christians I know including my own family.
I think you can agree that there are also some wonderful christians as well. In fact most Christians I know are pretty good people.
I never met a Buddhist I didn't like either, but I'm sure there some out there that would rub me wrong. The issue I have with ME Muslims is that so many don't seem to have a problem targeting unarmed civilians who never did a thing to them.

Old 10-31-2015, 02:13 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,568,094 times
Don't really know any Muslims or have any Muslim friends. One guy I was working with wanted to tell me all about Islam, but I was like "she's right thanks Brucey, I ain't much interested in your or any other religion"

He was like "you have a closed mind"

I'm like "I'm cool with that'.

Old 10-31-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Don't really know any Muslims or have any Muslim friends. One guy I was working with wanted to tell me all about Islam, but I was like "she's right thanks Brucey, I ain't much interested in your or any other religion"

Pretty much feel the same way no matter what the religious rant is about.LOL I'm agnostic and really don't care what religion anyone practices. Just don't push it on me.

Old 10-31-2015, 02:57 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,899,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post

LOL

Old 10-31-2015, 02:58 PM

4,434 posts, read 6,963,418 times
Many muslims are nice people and easy to get on with. I have worked with many of them. I do have a muslim friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies