Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 04:27 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I know many Muslims as acquaintances, but nothing more. In our society today, acquiring meaningful friendships is very difficult, and I can't say that any of the Muslims I know, know me well enough to be called a friend.
First time I can agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 04:29 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I've known a few. Most of them seem to take their faith seriously, but were otherwise just like everyone else I know. A few appeared to be Muslims in name only - maybe that's more common than we think.

By "everyone else" I mean that they run the gamut in personalities. For example, some were very hard working, while others were kind of slackers.

So does anybody else know any Muslims from their personal experiences?
Sure, they were normal people. Never knew any radicals ones.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:04 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
When I was younger, I had a few good Muslim friends, but they were only nominally Muslims. Besides observing Ramadan, they really weren't any different than my other friends who went out to clubs. Though now that they are older, I believe they are much more devout, at least judging from their Facebook profiles, which is probably part of the reason that we don't talk to each other anymore.

This is the key point when people talk about "moderate" Muslims. Muslims aren't moderate. They are just less committed to their religion than other Muslims.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:19 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Don't be fooled. Muslims are not here to become Americans. They hate Western civilization, and especially America. They are here to destroy us through "civilization jihad." Yes, they will appear to be "just like everyone else." But that's a ruse. Muslims will lie if it is in their interests to do so (advance Islam, foo you into thinking they are just like us, and to hide their real motives.

The goal of Islam is and always has been, world domination and a world-wide caliphate.

You see what's happening in Germany and much of the rest of Europe, do you not? Wake up! It's coming here too, and Obama is enabling it.
I worked, with young Muslims, in Germany. Sure, they sometimes went to services on Fridays and greeted each other with "Salaam" and had imams sanctify their weddings, but they sure as all out did not hate Western civilization. Couldn't drink worth a damn, admitttedly.

I was there when 9/11 happened, and I can tell you exactly who they hated then: The perpetrators. Those who put their families back in Iran in danger (they knew the US was going to lash out, didn't really blame anyone for that, just hoped their folks would be safe), those who p.ssed on their faith in order to commit a crime, those who appropriated who they were.

If they faked those tears, they did a damn good job. Good people - better than most, I'd say.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:22 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Muslims aren't moderate. They are just less committed to their religion than other Muslims.
Sounds like a working definition of "moderate" to me.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:33 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I think you can agree that there are also some wonderful christians as well. In fact most Christians I know are pretty good people.
I never met a Buddhist I didn't like either, but I'm sure there some out there that would rub me wrong. The issue I have with ME Muslims is that so many don't seem to have a problem targeting unarmed civilians who never did a thing to them.
I should say I do not judge people by groups or religions. I judge people based on how they treat others, especially those who may not be perfect . Others may idolize certain people but when those people turn around and use their status to treat certain people like crap even though those people may not hurt anyone makes me sick. Like the poor, mentally ill or disabled just for example.

I myself am what you would consider a Christian but do not go to church on a regular basis. Saying that I feel I follow Jesus' words more so than some of those people who go every Sunday. I just used Christians as an example of it does not matter what people say they believe or follow, there are good and bad in all walks of life. People's individual actions is what counts to me.

As to the problems in the ME I tell you right now if some other country came into the US killed many of my innocence family and friends and occupied my home I would probability seek revenge in some sort of manner. There are billions of Muslims around the world yet just a few religious fanatics have taken advantage of the disorder we have caused.

When the Soviet Union was around we called some of those Muslims freedom fighters, now since we have a militarily presence in some of the same countries we call them terrorists. I get a feeling we reap what we sow.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:53 AM

6,417 posts, read 7,243,816 times
Oh I just remembered there was a Muslim girl in my primary school. I had hot dinners once a week and I'd always sit with her as no one else would, but being the good little vicar's daughter that I was, I kept telling her about Jesus and trying to convert her! Poor girl!

Old 11-01-2015, 01:30 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Yes.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:48 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,269,198 times
Not that i know of.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:18 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,107,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't have any Muslim friends, but I know quite a few business owners. In my opinion, most of them are not very friendly, but I don't think they are trouble makers. I know one female Muslim, she used to be an Italian - American who was also a Catholic, but she married a Muslim man, and she converted to Muslim. She is a nice person, but is very serious about her new religion. I have no problem with her, but she always talks about how superior Muslim religion is compare to Christianity. Annoying, but harmless, I guess.

I've seen couple of Muslim women correcting the way she wore her headscarves in the middle of the mall, I don't think she has been fully accepted in the Muslim community, but I could be wrong. I just don't understand why somebody have to convert from one religion to another, but it is none of my business.
1. One does not convert to "Muslim". They convert to Islam.
2. There is no requirement that a non-Muslim woman who marries a Muslim man has to convert. It's a choice. If she did convert because HE wanted her to, that's just plain wrong. I will say that sometimes that is a hidden agenda of Muslim men and comes out after marriage.

Some Muslim men who marry Muslim women also want their Muslim wives to go to the extreme. I've seen it. Can only wonder why the guy was married 6 times. (last count, haven't seen him in years. He could be up to 9!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies