Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 09:14 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Victimless crime is an oxymoron. Drugs are the reason for most of the crimes in the USA. Once a person gets on drugs, their life is usually over.
Thanks to putting people in prison for drugs.

Quote:
There was a reason they were put there.
To create more jobs for prison guard unions, to fatten the pockets of private prison corporations and Big Pharma, and to artificially manipulate unemployment statistics so politicians could look good....

Old 11-03-2015, 11:38 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
And stupid people in some states think charging taxes and making drugs legal is a good thing! Idiots, every one who thinks this. I hear this isn't working out too good for the states that legalize the drugs. Many problems are related to this practice. .
I live in one of the states that has legalized it. Its worked out extremely well actually. Some minor issues-for example we're having issue figuring out how to regulate edibles at the moment, but nothing thats really been much of a negative so far.

Other states that did so a year ago report much the same.

And we're talking pot, not meth. Its like the difference between drinking a soda, and anti-freeze.

So I dont think this has anything whatsoever to do with that. The death rates really are in my opinion about income. Making just enough to not get help, and too little to actually afford life.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:15 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Good thing I have a college degree, maybe this is another good reason to promote a college education.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:29 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Victimless crime is an oxymoron. Drugs are the reason for most of the crimes in the USA. Once a person gets on drugs, their life is usually over.

Watch the news. They start out with drug crimes, graduate to stealing to support the habit and then the next thing you see them on the news for being murdered or murdering someone else.

And stupid people in some states think charging taxes and making drugs legal is a good thing! Idiots, every one who thinks this. I hear this isn't working out too good for the states that legalize the drugs. Many problems are related to this practice.

We are about to have a crime spree increase with the president letting these thugs out of prison. There was a reason they were put there. It was to save the rest of us from having them around to cause trouble.
Then what do you suggest be done about the drug problem? Raise taxes to build new prisons to put drug users in?

Old 11-04-2015, 12:32 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Thanks to putting people in prison for drugs.

Interesting how people who get out of prison over drugs say drugs were just as easily available in there as it was on the outside.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:22 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This is a huge phenonemon. What can explain it? Remember, we're looking for something that has happened in the last 15 or 20 years, and has effected white middle-aged Americans much more than others. I'll just throw a few disjointed ideas out there:

- There's something about white American boomer psychology that makes it tough for them to survive middle age... something about their experience growing up that made them more prone to self-destruction.

- As young people boomers without a college degree could join a union and make good money. But that pretty much ended in the '80s.

- Americans value material success more than others. People who reach middle age and aren't well off may be more prone to depression in America than in other Western countries.

- Older whites are demonized in American culture. They are often portrayed as the ones standing in the way of deserving younger people and minorities.

- this phenomenon coincides with the period of very high immigration, legal and illegal, and this has effected living standards of working class people more than others. White Americans are mocked - "They took ur jabs!" - in popular media and said to be "angry". Maybe this has had an effect.
Here's an analysis of the age cohorts by Steve Sailer showing that the worst effected people are those who came of age during the "Big Party" from the end of the '60s through the '70s.

Is there a generational explanation for rising white death rates? - The Unz Review

Old 11-04-2015, 07:31 AM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Good thing I have a college degree, maybe this is another good reason to promote a college education.
Most people do. But I have to respectfully disagree with you here.

There is a connection between “hoop-jumping” mindset and other trends, like mental health issues, on college campuses.
I would argue that higher achievers (for example, IVY League students) have an internal struggle with both “grandiosity and depression.”

Here is a very interesting article

The Ivy League, Mental Illness, and the Meaning of Life - The Atlantic

My late boyfriend was white, he was 38 when he committed suicide, He grew up solid upper middle class. He himself was a criminal defense attorney. But he suffered from undiagnosed and untreated mental illness.

Depression, poor life style choices, really, have nothing to do with level of the education, Although I do agree with you, promoting a college education is important to a lot of people,college education to prevent premature death is not one of the reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Here's an analysis of the age cohorts by Steve Sailer showing that the worst effected people are those who came of age during the "Big Party" from the end of the '60s through the '70s.

Is there a generational explanation for rising white death rates? - The Unz Review
A very well-written article

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 11-04-2015 at 07:40 AM..

Old 11-04-2015, 08:39 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,236 times
I believe one of factors is illegal Immigration. Many former middle class American males had jobs doing construction and those jobs were paying decent wages. With the influx of low wage workers who are willing to work for wages which do not allow one to survive in the US, it's simple supply and demand and American workers are paying the price.

Add the fact that housing costs have gone up but not wages and we have a death spiral. The choice is to be homeless or dead. The illegal workforce live in flop houses which allow twenty to thirty men living together. Americans are not welcome to live with them and IMO are not welcome on job sites either.

Being disabled I tried to have a friend and his wife live with us and it took less than a month for my neighbors to report me to the town yet other houses owned by slumlords only a few blocks away have so many men living together but the town does nothing.

One more thing, if American labor does not speak Spanish and the other workers do not speak English then tell me how can they work together? For example my brother in law worked with his dad until he had a stroke and could not work anymore. He tried to work in a local factory but only lasted one week due to the Spanish speaking workforce. He was the odd man out in his own country.

I believe this has a lot to do with the rise of drug and alcohol abuse and suicides. Of course it is just one piece of the puzzle many other factors are involved.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:01 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
a thread similar to this one (now disappeared) was started in the current events forum with the subtle implication that only males were involved.

you should have seen all the ghoulish delight displayed by some the cretins there who were practically pooping their pants with glee that more white males were dying

Old 11-04-2015, 05:56 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Yes, I'm sure mass immigration, both illegal and legal, is a contributing factor in this. Many industries and jobs have been effected making many people substantially poorer than they expected to be at age 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
I believe one of factors is illegal Immigration. Many former middle class American males had jobs doing construction and those jobs were paying decent wages. With the influx of low wage workers who are willing to work for wages which do not allow one to survive in the US, it's simple supply and demand and American workers are paying the price.

Add the fact that housing costs have gone up but not wages and we have a death spiral. The choice is to be homeless or dead. The illegal workforce live in flop houses which allow twenty to thirty men living together. Americans are not welcome to live with them and IMO are not welcome on job sites either.

Being disabled I tried to have a friend and his wife live with us and it took less than a month for my neighbors to report me to the town yet other houses owned by slumlords only a few blocks away have so many men living together but the town does nothing.

One more thing, if American labor does not speak Spanish and the other workers do not speak English then tell me how can they work together? For example my brother in law worked with his dad until he had a stroke and could not work anymore. He tried to work in a local factory but only lasted one week due to the Spanish speaking workforce. He was the odd man out in his own country.

I believe this has a lot to do with the rise of drug and alcohol abuse and suicides. Of course it is just one piece of the puzzle many other factors are involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies