Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 04:37 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
This is the reason why I didn't post anything on this thread initially. And FWIW, the OP premise that it is only fatherlessness that causes gang membership is pretty....I can only say silly.

Gangs have always been a part of American culture. They began not because of a lack of fathers but because of lack of opportunities and poverty.

LOL at the bold. As the poster said above, gangs have been in this country over 200 years. There are still Irish gangs, Russian gangs, Italian gangs, and even Jewish gangs. Most of the older white gangs are now full fledged mafia and they control all the rest of the "non-white ethnic" gangs businesses, which is primarily drug related.

Race has nothing to do with gang membership. If that were the case, there would not be a mafia. There would not be gangs in Europe either, which there are, if whites by nature of being European are superior to other groups in regards to the need to form gangs.

ITA with this as well. I grew up in the 1980s and 1990s. Gangs were WAY worse back then than they are today. I knew and still know a lot of gang affiliated people by nature of growing up poor in the ghetto.

And FWIW, I knew not only black gang members, but hispanic and white people who were members of more well known gangs. Whites were known in our neighborhood to be associated especially with the Crips or Gangsta Disciples (GD). Bloods were mostly black. There were a lot of different sects of the latter mentioned gangs and they were divided by neighborhood. The "crips" were not just all called "crips." They were called something else, as were GD, but due to their colors they were affiliated with those criminal organizations.

I know a lot about gangs and anyone posting some link about how proliferating they are and therefore feel they are some sort of "expert" or they are in any way knowledgeable about inner city gangs in particular, don't know what they are talking about.

It is funny to me that many times a shooting or violence is said on the local news to be "gang related" when it really isn't. There was a recent shooting at a mall where I live. I know one of the people involved. He is in his 40s and he and a younger guy got into an argument at the mall. The older man started to leave. The younger one was upset still and shots rang out in the parking lot. The news said that the shooting was "gang related" because the 40 year old guy used to be in a gang when he was a teenager. But the altercation had nothing to do with any gang beef and he hasn't been involved with gang life in over 20 years.

If you don't have your "ear in the streets" as people say or know what is going on in any specific city, you are not to be taken seriously in regards to gangs or gang violence.

As stated, gangs are very old phenomenon in America. Usually they start via a poverty stricken situation and a lack of opportunity based on economic conditions and prejudices against people in a particular neighborhood (class) or ethnic group (race). There are all sorts of gang members in America, but they are not nearly as active today in regards to violent street crime as they were in the 1980s and 1990s.
Correct. Most of these posters are clueless. Gang violence and crime is laughable compared to what it was in the 80s and 90's.

1.5 million gang members my ass. That stat is so ridiculously inflated that it's all I can do not to laugh out loud while reading it.

You're right...people with an ear to the streets know better. Most of these posters should stick to what they know...kid's soccer games and weekend bake sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 04:40 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Then why do gangs tend to be composed of members of the same race? Why do they commit a lot of interracial crime? Why do mostly non-white ethnics have a higher tendency to form gangs? It has something to do with race, I'd argue everything.
Yes. Many gangs started out as a means of protecting each other from attack by other racial/ethnic groups and this is perpetuated in prison.

[power in numbers]

Old 11-06-2015, 05:05 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Why gangs thrive?

Code of silence is one reason.

Chicago is experiencing a rash of shootings in neighborhoods full of rival gang members. One of this week's victims was a 9 year old boy on the way to his grandmother's house. He was targeted, lured into an alley and shot execution style. Father is affiliated with a gang. He declines to cooperate with Police. It's the same story over and over again. No one sees, hears or knows anything, ever. Rewards go unclaimed.

Fear? Protecting criminals.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:49 PM

934 posts, read 595,154 times
Werent Italian and Irish gangs shooting each other with machine guns in the 20's and 30's

Old 11-06-2015, 07:19 PM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter;41836279[B
You don't know anything[/b] but what you read in some book or hear on TV.

Street crime isn't driven by "gangs." That's a bunch of hooey. The hype about Bloods, Crips, GD's, MS-13, etc is a bunch of nonsense driven by people looking to scare people and push and agenda.

9 outta 10 times, if you get got in any inner city in America, it won't have a damn thing to do with a gang. It's just a bunch of ragtag wolves out on the streets looking for an easy mark.

People with street sense know this (which is why you don't know it).

This b.s. about 1.5 million gang members is bullhockey. These are usually FBI numbers and they don't know what the hell they're talking about. They're making these estimates based on what they THINK they know. They and other law enforcement agencies have an agenda (bigger budgets) and if they can scare people into believing that all of our major cities are filled with marauding bands of gangs like you saw in the movie "The Warriors," they'll get you to give them what they want.

Gang crime in this country is basically a joke compared to what it was just 2 decades ago.

You're just scared....that's all.

Drug dealers tend to work in crews, but that's not the same as belonging to a gang. That's a whole different animal.

So you say- you have NO clue --but I bet my year's salary- I'm closer to the problem than you will ever be- not all posters are who you think they are.
The type of crime has changed. It's not about street fights anymore- but (9 yr old shot and killed this week was gang related ) but human trafficking -drug smuggling and cyber crimes- as credit card fraud/ theft etc. It has evolved into something different- except the bike gang bangers, they seem to be doing the same bad A++ stuff as well as some of the younger smaller gangs. They are more underground and with media/ electronics it is easier to maneuver undetected to a point- The Violence is still alive. and if somehow cannot SEE, the prisons are overcrowded-- wonder why?

Last edited by tinytrump; 11-06-2015 at 07:49 PM..

Old 11-06-2015, 11:25 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Take this into account.

Quote:
I see a very strong association between some of these problems like gang behavior and violent crime and joblessness. For example, if you look at a recent longitudinal study conducted by my colleague at the University of Colorado -- we are doing a book together -- Delbert Elliot. He found, for example, that by the time white males and black males reached the late 20s, the violent crime ratio is 4 to 1 -- 4 black to 1 white. Much higher violent crime rate among black males. However, when he controlled for employment, there was no significant difference in the violent crime rate between white males and black males. No significant difference.

frontline: the two nations of black america: interview with william julius wilson

Old 11-06-2015, 11:32 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,217,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Heck its not just the single parenthood....its both parents working. The value of a stay at home parent is incredible. But the cost of living has truly driven 2 working parent households, and single households.
Single women, Single households, single parents are all important voting blocks of today's Democratic Party. It's not going to stop. Get used to it

Old 11-06-2015, 11:34 PM

244 posts, read 168,683 times
Gangs only really effect minority communites thus the U.S Gov sees no benefit to step in much like they did with the gangs of the 1920's and 30's also the with the mob of the 1970s 80's .

Old 11-06-2015, 11:42 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,158,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
It has nothing to do with race. It has everything to do with responsibility, discipline, and structure. Boys want to be part of something, they want to follow, they need leaders.

The main reason for gangs is absent fathers. Boys yearn for male leadership, and in the inner city, older gang members are the only male leaders, so boys gravitate toward them. As far as they are concerned, the gang is their family. Jails are disproportionately inhabited by inmates from single parent families (mothers only).

Agreed. But drugs and ignorance, due in part by the family structure only enforces these type of behaviors. It's a sick cycle for sure.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:54 AM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times
[quote=Atlmike;41839590]Gangs only really effect minority communites thus the U.S Gov sees no benefit to step in much like they did with the gangs of the 1920's and 30's also the with the mob of the 1970s 80's .[/quote]

OH boy!
Gangs represent a serious and growing threat to our nation. There are approximately 33,000 gangs in the United States, with an estimated 1.4 million members – an increase of over 40% from 2009. he Department also has task forces in more than 370 locations focused on combating violent crime, including FBI Violent Gang Safe Streets Task Forces, Violent Crime Safe Streets Task Forces, and Safe Trails Task Forces; ATF regional task forces and Violent Crime Impact Teams; Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) regional task forces and High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area(HIDTA) task forces; and United States Marshals Service (USMS) Regional Fugitive and District Fugitive Task Forces.
http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/testimonies/witnesses/attachments/07/25/12/07-25-12-doj-statement.pdf

According to a story last week at CBS in Los Angeles, some 32 members of the so-called Insane Crip gang and their associates were charged with 283 counts of criminal conspiracy, 299 counts of identity theft, 226 counts of grand theft and 58 counts of attempted theft. Together, they are accused of operating a
$14.3 million identity theft and tax fraud scheme.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/08/s...and-drop-hoes/ Aug 2015

LIKE I posted --some of the type of crimes have changed- but you are free to put heads in the sand-- and vote to cut Govt spending-

Last edited by tinytrump; 11-07-2015 at 07:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies