Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 10:24 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I think the most interesting thing is this defeat happened in a very blue city. Houston voted for Obama twice.

Maybe the worm has turned.
Again - paralleling the California vote - many black people that vote for Obama, don't want this. That's my assumption.

Although, I would really like for you to be correct...

Old 11-04-2015, 10:40 AM

674 posts, read 611,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

...and Obama was re-elected even though he was under water in approval. Keep in mind that when the right hates their candidate they stay home and do not vote. The left, they tend to vote (especially for the Presidency) even if they dislike their candidate. I wouldn't call it a lack of hate, but more akin to mindless solidarity, which the DNC requires just to survive.

EXP: Waters is one of the biggest buffoons in politics, yet she keeps getting re-elected.

Yeah, that's it. Houston has lots of Republicans, but they just never vote. Ever.

They must have really hated their candidate during Parker's first election, since the Republican finished fourth behind three Democrats.

Houston has loved Parker, and most people I know from the city are quite proud of the fact that Houston remains the largest city to elect a gay mayor.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:41 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
Yeah, that's it. Houston has lots of Republicans, but they just never vote. Ever.

They must have really hated their candidate during Parker's first election, since the Republican finished fourth behind three Democrats.

Houston has loved Parker, and most people I know from the city are quite proud of the fact that Houston remains the largest city to elect a gay mayor.
I guess they place sexual proclivity above ability. That's certainly a recipe for success.

The problem we are facing is a population becoming more and more superficial. To to be "proud" of electing leaders based on a thing, rather than their experience and ability to do the job in a successful manner, is NOT PROGRESS.

BTW, I never said that "they never vote." I only pointed to the fact that many of them tend to stay home rather than vote for someone they do not like. Is it really that hard to simply agree with a basic truth?

Last edited by steven_h; 11-04-2015 at 10:52 AM..

Old 11-04-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I guess they place sexual proclivity above ability. That's certainly a recipe for success.

The problem we are facing is a population becoming more and more superficial. To to be "proud" of electing leaders based on a thing, rather than their experience and ability to do the job in a successful manner, is NOT PROGRESS.
Your guess would be wrong, then.

She won because she was the best candidate. People were proud not to have rejected her simply because of bigotry.

That's a bit of a low bar, but as a lot of these threads show, even a bar that low is hard to clear in present day America (see Proposition 8 in California).

Edit: By the way, Parker is married and has kids. There's not reason to believe that her proclivity for sexual activity is any different from that of any other married candidate.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:54 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:

That was off the rails even for you
The argument of the individual I responded to is that you shouldnt let transgendered people use those restrooms because of the possibility of rape. that argument is easily combated by the fact that you do not need a penis to be raped or to rape someone. women have been convicted of sexual assault on other women and men have raped women with foreign objects not connected to their body.

The non PC argument is really what people want to say, but they know no one is going to side with them when they say even a post op trangendered person shouldnt use that restroom.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
Your guess would be wrong, then.

She won because she was the best candidate. People were proud not to have rejected her simply because of bigotry.

That's a bit of a low bar, but as a lot of these threads show, even a bar that low is hard to clear in present day America (see Proposition 8 in California).

Edit: By the way, Parker is married and has kids. There's not reason to believe that her proclivity for sexual activity is any different from that of any other married candidate.
I'm certainly wrong by your personal view of what everyone else believes, or SHOULD BELIEVE, for sure. If I said "the sky is blue" someone in here would argue against it. It's the nature of some forum hounds to argue against anything and everything.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:00 AM

756 posts, read 424,698 times
Again...
Why should the comfort and consideration of one individual supercede the comfort and consideration of the majority?

Maybe the majority of the girls in that shower or locker room don't want to see male genitalia while they are showering or changing.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The non PC argument is really what people want to say, but they know no one is going to side with them when they say even a post op trangendered person shouldnt use that restroom.
The path of discussion has gone off the rails, and is venturing into dilution. Put aside all the scenarios other than the common sense voters showed in voting down a horrible law... which, BTW, the Mayor and city council tried to sneak by Houstonians in the first place.

Dishonest as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
Again...
Why should the comfort and consideration of one individual supercede the comfort and consideration of the majority?

Maybe the majority of the girls in that shower or locker room don't want to see male genitalia while they are showering or changing.
THAT ISN'T THE POINT!!!

What parent would risk their children to be around people who would certainly abuse this ridiculous law? The left always talk about how bad perversions and sexual predators are, only to write laws which these people will exploit.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I'm certainly wrong by your personal view of what everyone else believes, or SHOULD BELIEVE, for sure. If I said "the sky is blue" someone in here would argue against it. It's the nature of some forum hounds to argue against anything and everything.
Projecting your unfounded opinion on millions of people, insinuating that the mayor of a major city was elected just because she is gay, is not anywhere close to the same thing as stating a basic fact about the color of the sky.

Parker is smart and competent. She managed well enough to get elected the maximum number of times. She still gets attacked by the far right crowd over nothing, though.

It's not as if straight white guys don't have a shot at being mayor of Houston. Bill White was one of the best mayors the city ever had, and everyone loved him, too.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:35 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I don't know what sick world we live in where people come up with such baseless, deluded theories. Life went on fine with normal roles for millenia and just over the last decade or so we've developed dozens of new gender identities? Fat chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies