Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2015, 07:59 AM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
my oldest is at UNC...will have a double ba next may

my other 3 are too young yet

my oldest is not mech inclined like me, but my 9 year old can already tune an engine
Do you mean double major? hope (s)he lands a good job to pay his college loan off.
what are job prospects for mechanics today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 08:06 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Do you mean double major? hope (s)he lands a good job to pay his college loan off.
what are job prospects for mechanics today?
no I mean a double degree...you are smart enough to know what a ba is??? as in Bachelor's degree

Old 11-11-2015, 08:20 AM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
I'm so tired of this divisive issue called income inequality. You know what? We have always had will always have income inequality . Some people are always going to have more money that you and some less. WHo the f**ck cares! Why do people like you care so much about what other people have? How about worrying about your own finances and how you can get ahead instead of letting Obama, Sanders and the other liberal idiots think for you!

Nobody is denying that we will always have income inequality. the point is how wide the gap has grown. why should those who work hard everyday not have a little more income so they can live a little better life, and give their kids a little better life, when the CEO's and other 1% ers get millions and have tax laws that lets them pay a much lower rate of tax? they do not work any harder, they just have power to shape tax laws that lets them pay lower taxes.
I know what I am talking about about tax laws. We have managed our finances, and have enough income to know how to manage it to pay less tax. So does the billiomaire Buffet who is telling you that his tax rate is lower than his office worker. She pays more as a percentage of her income than millionaires do.

If repubs. are so concerned that undocumented immigrants are depressing wages, why do they not want to raise wages for American workers? If they are afraid jobs will be cut if wages go up then what happens if these immigrant workers are deported? will wages not rise? How does this even make sense?

I does not make sense because they are making a false arguemnet. Actually higher wages will put more money in poor people's pockets, which they will spend buying food, clothes, medical care. The companies can make a little less profit, the CEOs can get a few thousands less, demand will rise and companies will sell more, profits will rise. No company makes manufacturing decisions on wages alone, they produce more when demand rises. The surest way to make demand rise is to raise wages so people have more disposable income.

what repubs are doing is creating ignorance and hatred by making their arguments.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Nobody is denying that we will always have income inequality. the point is how wide the gap has grown. why should those who work hard everyday not have a little more income so they can live a little better life, and give their kids a little better life, when the CEO's and other 1% ers get millions and have tax laws that lets them pay a much lower rate of tax? they do not work any harder, they just have power to shape tax laws that lets them pay lower taxes.
I know what I am talking about about tax laws. We have managed our finances, and have enough income to know how to manage it to pay less tax. So does the billiomaire Buffet who is telling you that his tax rate is lower than his office worker. She pays more as a percentage of her income than millionaires do.

If repubs. are so concerned that undocumented immigrants are depressing wages, why do they not want to raise wages for American workers? If they are afraid jobs will be cut if wages go up then what happens if these immigrant workers are deported? will wages not rise? How does this even make sense?

I does not make sense because they are making a false arguemnet. Actually higher wages will put more money in poor people's pockets, which they will spend buying food, clothes, medical care. The companies can make a little less profit, the CEOs can get a few thousands less, demand will rise and companies will sell more, profits will rise. No company makes manufacturing decisions on wages alone, they produce more when demand rises. The surest way to make demand rise is to raise wages so people have more disposable income.

what repubs are doing is creating ignorance and hatred by making their arguments.
So you want the government to tax the rich and what..send checks to people who don't make good salaries ?

How will taxing the CEO of JP Morgan give Joe landscape worker a "better income" ?

Old 11-11-2015, 08:28 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
I don't think anybody denies inequality. Some just don't care.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:48 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
no I mean a double degree...you are smart enough to know what a ba is??? as in Bachelor's degree
Why BAs instead of Bachelor of Science degrees? The latter is still a degree in the field but requires more math and science credits. Employers tend to be more receptive to those who are competent in both the humanities AND math and science, and not just a "Theory of American Folklore" liberal arts curricula.

I'm sure I don't have to remind you of the old joke from the '80s unemployment crisis...

"Would you like fries with that?"

Old 11-11-2015, 08:56 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,221,392 times
Quote:
There are enough charts and graphs and Wikipedia to explain the inequality in income. It is the highest since the 1920's
Do you see this in your own life, among friends and acquaintances, your children's lives?
I see it in the parelell universe that the super rich and the rest of us live. The number of super rich has grown as a percentage.
I see it in air travel. There were always first class but what we call coach is how most of us travelled in. It was comfortable and actually fun. Now I cannot get anything other than a middle seat if I want to fly to LA in Jet Blue. Of course I can PAY extra and get the aisle seat, pay to bypass security, pay to board first. So there is your class system.
This kind high class and low class exists in every aspect of life so the rich never have to deal with all the non- rich out there.
Most people need two incomes to have a decent life. Young people incur huge debts to finish college without which they cannot get a decent job.
Consequently the rich get tax breaks, corporations get laws favorable to them passed by buying pols, and the rest contend with poor roads, poor public transit, poor schools.
Do you belive this inequality is bad for democracy and our way of life? If so, What is the solution? Who, the Dems or GOP, would address it?
The most direct answer to your statement is that we are now in a downward slide toward equilibrium with China and India. As their standard of living rises ours gradually goes down. One of the indicators that our standard of living is sliding is the current account. The current account is the amount of money that is either flowing into or out of our country. The last time I looked at the current account it was -400 billion a year each year. That is money that stops circulating in the USA.

I am going to pose a question on the economics forum asking whether the current account is a good measure of standard of living.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:57 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
You support the very people you're envious of. If it's a sore spot for you, just stop. Stop supporting Bloomberg and Soros and Slim and Carter and Buffet et al. holdings.

College? Really? You're polishing that icon. Stop placing premiums on academic credentials. Nobody said life on Earth didn't require some hardship, some sacrifices, to modify your value system, your spendings habits, the artifices you hold dear. You're being hazed by that entrenched business of education because people before you were. You want to break that cycle, it's going to require some hard work on your part.

Whining because you can't book another week out on Jet Blue to get an end seat for your transcontinental flight--repeat ones--and it's a "class system"?
Excellent points.

We have threads bemoaning the minimum wage, and it's destruction on teen employment, and other threads on how 0bamaCare's 30 hour, 50 employees standards are pushing more people into low income. Those are two destructive federal laws, there are many more that cause our economy to bleed jobs, and create situations where more people fall into poverty.

Labor force participation rate since 2007:

And the US Poverty Rate since 2000:

People without jobs, equals people living in poverty collecting welfare and SNAP, equals an increase in the "income inequality."

Old 11-11-2015, 09:01 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I don't think anybody denies inequality. Some just don't care.
...and who would those people be who just don't care about the nation and it's people?

Old 11-11-2015, 09:20 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,250,687 times
you're assuming all rich people have never worked hard in their life for what they have.

Quote:

you are projecting what the liberals are doing. All I see is hatred and divisiveness coming from the left.
Why don't you ask Bernie Sanders why he pays his staffers, women especially, crap? why don't you ask hillary why if she is so poor is she sill living in a mansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies