Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 11:31 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times

Advertisements

I am from Texas and yes I do have the accent. I have had a lot of people assume that I am a simpleton for it. I am rather glad they do... When they learn otherwise, it's too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 11:40 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Many if not most liberals are openly and proudly bigoted towards Southern White people.

Case closed.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:44 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
LOL. A few conservatives are asking for political correctness?

Old 11-05-2015, 11:49 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
LOL. A few conservatives are asking for political correctness?
I don't know what kind of political correctness you're talking about. I didn't ask anyone to change how they think I just wanted to know if it was a thing certain people did.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:50 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,509,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
I had a somewhat liberal friend from back up North recently tell me that I must see "all kinds of stupid" here in the South. I told him that I have been all over the country and stupid can pretty much be found anywhere. He agreed on the spot.

The one stereotype I find to be just plain wrong is that racism is so much more prevalent in the South. I have seen and found more examples of racism by far up in the Northeast.
I have to say I agree. Racism here in Alaska is awful. If you listen to almost everyone else Alaska Natives are all drunk freeloaders. Granted, alcohol is a big social ill in the Alaska Native and Native American communities but some people assume every native is a drunk.

Alaska is an amasingly diverse state with natives, people from all over Africa, the Pacific Islands, the Far East, Eastern Europe (huge population from Ukraine and Russia here obviously due to the history of Alaska) but isn't as balkanised as other states with this kind of population. There are a few neighbourhoods that are more inclined to have a certain ethnic group in them but I have friends in a few of them and don't feel uncomfortable going there.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Many if not most liberals are openly and proudly bigoted towards Southern White people.

Case closed.
That's a blanket statement you are not qualified to make. There are a lot of Southern white liberals who would disagree and a lot from other regions who would also disagree.

This statement is hypocritical because it shows your bigotry towards liberals.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I am from Texas and yes I do have the accent. I have had a lot of people assume that I am a simpleton for it. I am rather glad they do... When they learn otherwise, it's too late.
I spent 45 days working in Texas (Gatesville, about 20 miles from Waco) on a travel nursing assignment and found the people wonderful. They were curious about my accent and fascinated by my living in Alaska. The state was too hot, humid, and flat for me but the people were lovely. The Department of Corrections, however, scared the hell out of me. Texas laws are pretty harsh.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:02 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,838,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Any accent tends to draw scrutiny. I don't judge based on accents, but you better believe I think someone is less intelligent when they espouse views such as (as the OP says), "want to block same-sex marriage, pro-war 'MERICA supporters and still some who show off the Confederate flag." That is mostly because I am FROM the South and will call a spade a spade.

This makes me laugh. A perfect example of this is just watching that TV show, "What Would You Do?" Invariably, when they film a situation in which a gay couple/person or interracial family is being taunted at a restaurant, it is the people in the south that are first to stand up for the gay person/couple or interracial couple or family. But the same situation plays out in the NE and no one stands up for them. People in the south put the server in their place and I have even seen one person get up and walk out based on the treatment of the gay/interracial "target."

It truly is sad that you think that people with different values or opinions than you are less intelligent, and fail to realize just how bigoted that attitude is.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:03 PM

369 posts, read 193,596 times
Yes, the snap judgment about southern accents is true of liberals; I would say, though, as one of those liberals that we are pleased and even delighted when we meet someone who does not fit the stereotype. Conservatives, on the other hand, seem to like adhering to their stereotypes as though they were carved on stone tablets at Mount Sinai.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:11 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
The Fly in the Assumption Soup here is that many Liberals are Southerners. Painting with broad brushes only tends to get the painter messy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies