Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 01:29 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times

Advertisements

Aside from here where a person can vent and post from very wise to very stupid things but no foul because it is anon. Do you folks truly know anyone who is the zealous right/left archetype?

I know folks who lean right/left. Hate Obama, love Obama, etc. but not they type to pin everything good or bad on him.... Same with other hot issues here.

Is it just a caricature we see in the News, which of course is for ratings. Or hear on the Radio- for ratings. Or on Blogs- where anyone can write stuff crazy stuff- for advertising sponsorships.

Do you personally know any of these Demagogues?

If so I am intrigued is it a Maude/Pelosi type character? Archie Bunker/Palin Type?

Apologizes to the under 40 crowd for post some "old" examples..

Old 11-05-2015, 01:50 PM

674 posts, read 611,195 times
I know a few people who get really worked up about whatever the current right wing radio fad is. It's annoying, and I have to do everything I can to steer the conversation back to sanity, but I don't really hold serious grudges against those people.

I haven't known as many of the hardcore racist types like we see everywhere on the internet. A few, though. I used to work with a guy who seriously believed that Asian people are dumber than white people, and he tried to justify it by saying it was a function of the Sapir-Whorf Effect and the alleged inferiority of Asian languages. After I heard that, I pretty much never spoke to him again, so I don't know what happened to him.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:51 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Aside from here where a person can vent and post from very wise to very stupid things but no foul because it is anon. Do you folks truly know anyone who is the zealous right/left archetype?

I know folks who lean right/left. Hate Obama, love Obama, etc. but not they type to pin everything good or bad on him.... Same with other hot issues here.

Is it just a caricature we see in the News, which of course is for ratings. Or hear on the Radio- for ratings. Or on Blogs- where anyone can write stuff crazy stuff- for advertising sponsorships.

If so I am intrigued is it a Maude/Pelosi type character? Archie Bunker/Palin Type?

I have friends on the left and right who are absolutely set in stone regarding hot button issues; abortion, gay marriage, etc. but most of them would agree to disagree rather than have a heated argument. Only one friend I have on the right that would be more what you are referring to and he is to the far right of me and I am conservative. Hates anything to do with Democrats. I have even observed him shouting at the t.v. when President Obama appears. Then again, sometimes I have been known to bark at my poor t.v. when I see Nancy Pelosi. :=)

Old 11-05-2015, 01:52 PM

674 posts, read 611,195 times
On a somewhat related note, I really don't get the hate for Nancy Pelosi.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:54 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
On a somewhat related note, I really don't get the hate for Nancy Pelosi.
I could explain it but I might get too worked up.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:57 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post

I know a few that all on both ends of the spectrum.

What's kind of funny is the obvious hypocrisy on both sides of the extreme.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:00 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
"Palin type?" You lump Sarah Palin with "Archie Bunker?" Why, because you disagree with her politics?

Palin is not a "bigot", she is not hateful (as some on the Left are, and I could name quite a few), but she is a conservative Christian woman (oh, wait; that qualifies her as a "hater" in the minds of Leftists).

Sarah Palin is as 'American' as they come. Does patriotism (love of country, willing to defend it) equal "hate" now? She stands up to the evil of Statism that is destroying our country, and robbing us of the Liberty and Freedom that is guaranteed by our Constitution. What can possibly be "extreme" about that? "Progressivism" is a cancer that is literally eating our country alive. She has every right as a patriotic American to oppose it, and speak out against it.

Why should we kowtow to an evil President who has vowed to "transform us" against our will, simply because he is "black," so as not to be called "racist?" Disagreeing with his evil schemes is not racism!

I wish we had 1,000 more Sarah Palins defending our traditions and our culture, our American way of life.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:03 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
I have friends in both camps but the only ones who are a little nutty about their preferences are the newly out of college. Those young people are rabid!

Most of my friends and acquaintances, by the time they are in their forties, have learned how to have opposing views and still have relationships. I have my doubts about the majority of people under forty today because of poor social skills, all the online reinforcement of their views and the educational indoctrination.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:03 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,099,871 times
Of course I have! This is Oklahoma.

The ones I've known - right wing pro 2A constitutionalist zealots - hold down respectable jobs, look decent in a rough hewn 'skilled tradesman who enjoys hunting and backpacking' kind of way, speak softly and without frothing at the mouth -- in public.

When they let their hair down, they, uhm, er, express radical opinions in earthy language.

I don't rub elbows with anyone who endorses anything illegal. But I cheerfully rub elbows with guys who fit the extremist stereotype.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:42 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr409 View Post
She's a joke and a failed parent. Bristol Palin and her 2 kids out of wedlock is proof of that.
And of course, you are perfect, have never made a mistake, your children (if you have any) are perfect and never do anything wrong. You come from a perfect family, there are no divorces in your family, none of your female family members have had sex till marriage, and none (of course) have had an out-of-wedlock pregnancy. Why, none have ever even had an abortion, and would never consider it. Your finances are in perfect order, you have a well paying job and there are no weeds in your lawn either. And your crap doesn't stink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies