Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2015, 09:30 AM

756 posts, read 424,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
It blows me away that Christians are SO INSECURE that a very benign and tolerant statement of inclusiveness makes them go up in arms. You should go buy 800 bags of Christmas Blend so you can stack it up in the living room and stare at it in reverence of Christ. Please just try to look at this from a different perspective. Imagine looking at this form the lens of, say, a person from Sweden who doesn't live with any religious framework:

It's a nice Sunday morning, and you turn on the TV, and you see a brief news story about a bunch of Americans crying and going crazy over a reindeer or snowman being taken off of this years Starbucks cup. You stare in utter disbelief and amusement. This has to be an Onion article. But no, a clip of some unkempt loon being interviewed comes across the screen. It appears he is ranting and raving in joy because he thinks he "tricked" Starbucks by purchasing one of their beverages and "forcing" the apathetic college aged part time Starbucks employee to write "Merry Christmas" on it with a Sharpie. Then, behold, one of the presidential candidates appears on the screen, raving that he thinks we should maybe boycott Starbucks due to lack of adequate snowflakes and snowmen on the cups. Out of pure awe of the stupidity, you do a Google search to determine if Santa and snowmen are mentioned in the Christian Bible. To your amazement, you realize that the people who wrote the Bible lived in the Middle East, and not one mention of snowmen, Santa, or Christmas trees exist. In utter fear and bewilderment, you shut off your TV when your 5th grade child comes into the room. You are relieved that he/she didn't see the carnival that was just on the TV, as to preserve his/her reasonable mind. You then help him/her with their science homework, and enjoy the rest of your day, forgetting about the lunacy you just witnessed.
I hate to mess up your narrative but I'm an atheist
I simply can't stand political correctness and when I read the company's own statement on this, to me, it is saying that they are gonna change their cups to a blank design so they don't exclude or offend anyone.
I am really, really tired of this politically correct drive to police and sanitize everything we say or do. so we don't offend someone or some group.

To me, the notion that a snowman or a snowflake could be seen as offensive because it excludes whomever else isn't represented is as ridiculous,asinine and silly to me as the narrative you've just described above is to you.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:35 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
I simply can't stand political correctness and when I read the company's own statement on this, to me, it is saying that they are gonna change their cups to a blank design so they don't exclude or offend anyone.
To me, the notion that a snowman or a snowflake could be seen as offensive because it excludes whomever else isn't represented is just political correctness run amok.
I am really, really tired of this politically correct drive to police and sanitize everything we say or do. so we don't offend someone or some group.

That is as ridiculous,asinine and silly to me as the narrative you've just described above is to you.
Starbucks didn't make some big statement before all this happened saying "THIS YEAR WE ARE CHANGING OUR CUPS FOR POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!"

They simply changed the cups, and they had to respond in some way to all the asinine Christians wailing about their beloved snowmen.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:44 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
To me, the notion that a snowman or a snowflake could be seen as offensive because it excludes whomever else isn't represented is just political correctness run amok.

That is as ridiculous,asinine and silly to me as the narrative you've just described above is to you.
So you think a company, once it has settled on a particular marketing campaign, shouldn't change it?

For instance, Ford ads today should never feature black customers, because 75 years ago Ford ads didn't feature black customers?

Your political correctness narrative might hold some water if there was any evidence that outsiders had tried to influence Starbucks' cup design, but absent such evidence, it seems like a straight-up marketing change to me. Whether the premise that it will appeal to more people is correct or not, that's their prerogative.

It's a disposable red coffee cup. If you are looking for things to be offended by, I suppose it will do, but really - all it is is a red disposable coffee cop.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Starbucks didn't make some big statement before all this happened saying "THIS YEAR WE ARE CHANGING OUR CUPS FOR POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!"

They simply changed the cups, and they had to respond in some way to all the asinine Christians wailing about their beloved snowmen.

I don't get the Christian's argument that removing snowmen means they "Hate Christ" or whatever they are saying but the other side of the coin is, Starbucks did it to bow to political correctness.

It's just as offensive and stupid to me, the notion that someone might be offended by a snowflake of a snowman because it excluded them in some way.

"In response to the video, our core values as a company is to create a culture of belonging, inclusion and diversity. Each year during the holidays we aim to bring our customers an experience that inspires the spirit of the season and we will continue to embrace and welcome customers from all backgrounds and religions in our stores around the world."
Starbucks

Read that and tell me that it is not bowing to political correctness.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:47 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Personally I think the quote from Starbucks sounds about as pretentious as the high-priced coffee concoctions they sell. It's just another way to make the people buying it feel all inclusive and high-minded.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:48 AM

369 posts, read 193,678 times
Quote:
"In response to the video, our core values as a company is to create a culture of belonging, inclusion and diversity. Each year during the holidays we aim to bring our customers an experience that inspires the spirit of the season and we will continue to embrace and welcome customers from all backgrounds and religions in our stores around the world."
Starbucks

Read that and tell me that it is not bowing to political correctness.
In the absence of confirming evidence, that has nothing to do with political correctness.

But even if it is in line with political correctness, that just means it's stupid--not a hate crime against Christians.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:49 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
The Onion* had a short piece about this subject. I liked the woman who said she was fine with it, for the red cup represented the Blood of Christ.

*Note: The Onion is a satirical newspaper. It is satire only, and is not to be taken seriously. For instance, they did not actually interview a woman who claimed that the red coffee cup represented the Blood of Christ.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:49 AM

500 posts, read 583,426 times
Quote:

Hate to bust your bubble.

As a Christian, I could care less what color the damn Starbucks cup is. It could have snowflakes, Santa, elves, frogs, turtles, puppies and kittens, beach scene, etc on it, I still do not care.

The only "Christian" up in arms is some goof ball weirdo that no Christian I know of supports. My FB feed is full of my Christian friends saying this guy is a nutjob and that they do not care what color cup Starbucks uses.

This idiot that is calling himself a "Christian" has pulled stunts like this before.
You bought into it, not the Christians.

Funny how the anti Christians bought into this idiots rant. Christians are over here laughing while sipping their Starbucks out of their red cups.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
So you think a company, once it has settled on a particular marketing campaign, shouldn't change it?

For instance, Ford ads today should never feature black customers, because 75 years ago Ford ads didn't feature black customers?

Your political correctness narrative might hold some water if there was any evidence that outsiders had tried to influence Starbucks' cup design, but absent such evidence, it seems like a straight-up marketing change to me. Whether the premise that it will appeal to more people is correct or not, that's their prerogative.

It's a disposable red coffee cup. If you are looking for things to be offended by, I suppose it will do, but really - all it is is a red disposable coffee cop.
I can easily say the same to you.
It's a snowman or a snowflake! If you are looking for things to be offended by, I suppose it will do, but really, all it is, is a snowman or a snowflake.

Starbucks decided that snowmen and snowflakes weren't "inclusive or diverse" enough or they might offend the politcally correct.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:51 AM

369 posts, read 193,678 times
Quote:
Starbucks decided that snowmen and snowflakes weren't "inclusive or diverse" enough or they might offend the politcally correct.
Evidence, please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies