Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 11:24 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,547 times

Advertisements

I've now heard about 2 Simon malls not having an 'offensive' Christmas tree display. One on Long Island (Roosevelt Field) and one in Charlotte (South Park)

Here's one news article about it:
Shoppers soured by Roosevelt Field's Santa set-up | News 12 Long Island

Instead of a tree, they're putting up a glacier (looks like an alien space ship to me) display

But they're a-ok with cashing in on Santa Claus pictures.

WHO ARE these delicate pansies who are so offended by a freaking decorated TREE?!

ETA: here's the story on the mall in Charlotte http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...e43438536.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 11:31 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,565,645 times
''War on Christmas' - pffft that is all made up.' - Leftists

Old 11-07-2015, 11:36 AM

I am not a Christian and this really upsets me. What is Christmas and the holiday season without a beautiful tree? It makes me smile just seeing it. Going to see the Rockefeller Center tree is a tradition in my family. I really don't understand who could possibly see a tree as offensive.

People seem pretty ticked off about it based on the comments. We'll see if their actions (boycott) lead to a change of heart by the company.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:39 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,987 times
Who cares?

They're a private business. They can do what they want as long as it doesn't break the law.

You gonna try to pass a law saying businesses must put up Christmas trees? Good luck with that.

I thought righties were all about personal freedom and removing restrictions from businesses? Only when it suits them, I guess.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:40 AM

21,139 posts, read 19,714,475 times
A glacier? That's not very politically correct. I thought Global Warming destroyed all the glaciers?

Old 11-07-2015, 11:42 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Yup, nothing says Christian Christmas like sitting on Santa's lap, beside a pagan tree, in an old Jew's mall (Herbert Simon), and listing off what presents you expect on Jesus's birthday.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Who cares?

They're a private business. They can do what they want as long as it doesn't break the law.

You gonna try to pass a law saying businesses must put up Christmas trees? Good luck with that.

I thought righties were all about personal freedom and removing restrictions from businesses? Only when it suits them, I guess.
nice spin. the topic here is that people are offended by Christmas trees (try and keep up), so they're forcing the change. Not at righties, lefties or anyone else in between.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:47 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
I've now heard about 2 Simon malls not having an 'offensive' Christmas tree display. One on Long Island (Roosevelt Field) and one in Charlotte (South Park)

Here's one news article about it:
Shoppers soured by Roosevelt Field's Santa set-up | News 12 Long Island

Instead of a tree, they're putting up a glacier (looks like an alien space ship to me) display

But they're a-ok with cashing in on Santa Claus pictures.

WHO ARE these delicate pansies who are so offended by a freaking decorated TREE?!

ETA: here's the story on the mall in Charlotte SouthPark mall replaces Christmas Tree with glacier | The Charlotte Observer
Thats strange. The Simon mall near my house has a Christmas tree, and a Santa for kids to meet. I wonder why they chose to remove it from some of their malls and not others. I'm not Christian, but my kids love meeting Santa there every year. They are old enough to know he is not real, but young enough that it is still fun for them anyway.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:49 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
The thing that gets me about all this "offensive" crap is where are these people? I know, I am only one person in my own little world but every one I know is sick of this crap. But I see it on these forums, facebook, comment sections after articles and assorted other places all over as well. So it seems the vast majority seem to be for our country's traditions. But a whiny, vocal minority who's sole purpose in life is to go around pointing out things that offends them seem to get places to side with them. I hope the rest of us are starting to wake up as this is getting ridicules.

How bout this you whiny bastards? Your stupid ways of being offended by everything are really offending me and many others. I would love to see these actions countered and doubled. You want that tree removed? I say go ahead, but have it replaced with 2 bigger ones, so another section in the mall has one as well.

Why the hell would people and places side with the minority? Perhaps if enough of us in the silent majority start speaking we would be seen as offended by the offended ones (if that makes any sense) and the current whiny bastard can start to be ignored again.

Oh, BTW, since it's that time of year again I hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas this coming season! Be sure to find the biggest, fullest Christmas tree that will fit right inside your living room window and light it up and open the curtains for all to see.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:51 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
nice spin. the topic here is that people are offended by Christmas trees (try and keep up), so they're forcing the change. Not at righties, lefties or anyone else in between.
So how about some evidence that it was people offended by Christmas trees that forced this change and not just a misguided corporate decision born out of stupidity or perhaps to save a few bucks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies