Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 07:56 PM

11 posts, read 9,022 times

Advertisements

I am African American and as someone who attended a PWI (Predominantly White Institution) for both of my degrees, sadly, I don't doubt for a moment that these protests are based on real experiences. However, the problem I have with it is, I'm having a very difficult time following the narrative of what event(s) they're actually protesting about. Every article I read seems to point to a few different stories, and then, the articles point to things that happened at other campuses. Institutionalized racism does exist--I know it does because I have experienced it (I attended PWIs in the 2000s) and I am confident with all the racial tension in this country these days, that it still does happen. However, I don't get what they want done other than the president resigning. The racial tension is only increasing in this school and in this nation. Yes, it's real, and yes, something needs to be done, but I am personally having a hard time following this Mizzou narrative and how this is effective

Old 11-08-2015, 08:26 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,275,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24reasons View Post
I am African American and as someone who attended a PWI (Predominantly White Institution) for both of my degrees, sadly, I don't doubt for a moment that these protests are based on real experiences. However, the problem I have with it is, I'm having a very difficult time following the narrative of what event(s) they're actually protesting about. Every article I read seems to point to a few different stories, and then, the articles point to things that happened at other campuses. Institutionalized racism does exist--I know it does because I have experienced it (I attended PWIs in the 2000s) and I am confident with all the racial tension in this country these days, that it still does happen. However, I don't get what they want done other than the president resigning. The racial tension is only increasing in this school and in this nation. Yes, it's real, and yes, something needs to be done, but I am personally having a hard time following this Mizzou narrative and how this is effective
What needs to be done? What will end Institutionalized racism?

Old 11-08-2015, 11:31 PM

11 posts, read 9,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
What needs to be done? What will end Institutionalized racism?
I know for my school, having more diversity in leadership really made a difference (and not just black/white -- women, and other minorities as well). It showed that you weren't just able to attend the school, but you were also able to have a say and have an equal shot at being a person of influence on campus.

I want to believe that at the core, that's what these protesting students are actually about, but sadly, there's just so much noise it's hard to tell what the actual agenda is.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:58 AM

19,673 posts, read 10,001,421 times
They can quit whining now, he quit.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:05 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,735,020 times
I guess the college "money men" threw the chancellor under the bus.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:06 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,568,409 times
Football money wins again!!!

Maybe the next president will actually listen to the students

Old 11-09-2015, 11:06 AM

25,378 posts, read 17,044,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
They can quit whining now, he quit.
Never happen.
The whining, I mean.

Like 24 said, the issues are hard to find because they are not being reported. Maybe they are real, maybe not.
Black students make up 7% of the MU campus. So it's not a very diverse campus.
Is there a problem? Who knows?

But as everyone "knows", you can't have a college without a football team. And you can't compete without the black players.
So there.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:09 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,216,900 times
It's official... the University of Missouri is now being run by the insane Left student body. As an educational institution it's effectively done. I wouldn't take a class there if they paid me to do it.

Last edited by Tyster; 11-09-2015 at 11:36 AM..

Old 11-09-2015, 11:14 AM

56,936 posts, read 25,873,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
no, it means they will have pay for their education themselves. If their claims are validated I don't think they will want to be educated at that school. The most talented of them will certainly be scouted by other college teams, maybe even their opponents teams. That would be interesting.
Educated football players is an oxymoron for the most part, they are not there to get a degree.

If they lose their scholarships now they will have to cover the $20,000+ tuition for next semester if they remain in school. They would have to wait until next fall to transfer.

There wasn't much in the way of details as to why they wanted the president removed other than th eone incident.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:14 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,275,555 times
Blacklivesmatter claims another white mans livelyhood.

A year from now he will be on with his life and they will still be crying about how unfair they are treated because they are black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies