Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 11:44 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
Really? You have no problem with an article titled:
"Sons Spend As Little Time Caring For Their Parents As Possible, Dumping The Work On Daughters"

Can you imagine the liberal and feminist outrage if the genders were reversed in that title? I agree with Dockside, it's just a thinly veiled excuse to slam men
I think that given Petch's circumstances she can relate to the article. I was fortunate to have a lot of help from my husband when my parents health was failing but other friends who were going through the same circumstances were not so lucky. I don't think that men do not want to help, but daughters do seem to take on the majority of caregiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 12:31 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Yup. Obama successfully pitted black against white with his SJW's and Hillary is pitting the genders against each other. She can't run on her record, so she has to be divisive. 2016 is going to be ugly.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:53 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I'm experiencing it exactly as they describe it right now. I don't say all men but this happens to woman more. So I dispute your post.

None of the women in my family ever fixed my car, even though I have repaired their vehicles free of charge many, many times.

I don`t say all women, but this happens to men more.

I demand social security credits for all that time I spent repairing their vehicles and was unable to work because I was saddled with this obligation.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:27 AM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
I wouldn't say it the way the OP article does but women carry the overwhelming burden of elder care. My sister moved in with my Father when we were concerned about him and helped to care for him. In her case, she didn't have a job or career to speak of so it didn't really hurt her financially. He passed 2 years ago and she still lives in his house and remains unemployed but happy living on meager funds.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:56 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
sounds like an easily-abused program

You noticed that too?

It`s like Pigford without all the oversight.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:27 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
To address this problem, a bill was introduced that would give caregivers credits in Social Security during the time they spend out of the labor force to look after a family member.
And then let's give men Social Security credits for the time they spend changing the oil on their cars since that takes them away from a revenue generating job. Oh, and also for when the mow the grass.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I wouldn't say it the way the OP article does but women carry the overwhelming burden of elder care. My sister moved in with my Father when we were concerned about him and helped to care for him. In her case, she didn't have a job or career to speak of so it didn't really hurt her financially. He passed 2 years ago and she still lives in his house and remains unemployed but happy living on meager funds.
I suspect that the free house more than offsets her Social Security shortage.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:58 AM

756 posts, read 424,477 times
I don't get how this is a male/female issue at all..

Staying home and taking care of a parent is a CHOICE.
Choices have consequences.

You can send a parent to a nursing home and deal with the guilt and the need to advocate for quality care
or..
You can give up a job and care for them yourself.

The same choice is freely available to both men and women

As an adult, you make choices and weigh the consequences.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:54 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Yup. Obama successfully pitted black against white with his SJW's and Hillary is pitting the genders against each other. She can't run on her record, so she has to be divisive. 2016 is going to be ugly.
Congratulations on managing to bring Hillary into a elderly care thread.

Newsflash: gender issues existed long before Hilary announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
None of the women in my family ever fixed my car, even though I have repaired their vehicles free of charge many, many times.

I don`t say all women, but this happens to men more.

I demand social security credits for all that time I spent repairing their vehicles and was unable to work because I was saddled with this obligation.

Most women that I know ~ never asked for or received social security credits for caring for their elderly parents. It's done out of love and a sense of familial duty that is ingrained early on.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
I don't get how this is a male/female issue at all..

Staying home and taking care of a parent is a CHOICE.
Choices have consequences.

You can send a parent to a nursing home and deal with the guilt and the need to advocate for quality care
or..
You can give up a job and care for them yourself.

The same choice is freely available to both men and women

As an adult, you make choices and weigh the consequences.
But, but, but....don't we need Big Government to make that choice for us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies