Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 10:18 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Why don't you ask those people on welfare why they have children if they can't afford to take care of them? Other people are supposed to foot the bill while they work? Do you see how you sound? Was your favorite fairy tale Robin Hood?
Why should I ask them? You are the one who wants to know so badly. You ask them. Scared???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 10:32 AM

1,431 posts, read 912,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Why should I ask them? You are the one who wants to know so badly. You ask them. Scared???
Lol. I'm from the projects. So no, I'm not "scared". I'm asking on here because they never have an answer.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:32 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
So many people these days seem to think everyone is owed a check, a house, food, healthcare, a phone, and college. Can anybody explain why this is? Can anyone explain why a person should receive resources which far exceed their worth to society?
I never met one who claims they are owned a house, collage education etc, but I know some who have checked to see of benefits are available.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:39 AM

35,688 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Lets see (rough estimates):
$9,000 in property taxes.
8.625% sales taxes.
~25% in federal income tax.
~6% in state income tax.
~20% capital gains tax.
1.5% furlough to state (while the governor is trying to pay medicare people to go to the doctor)
$700/mo because of no viable pre-K because $300,000,000 of the $330m the state collected for pre-K went to NYC.
Cell phone tax to provide phones to poor people.
Over 100% increase in insurance cost to buffer those who can't afford it.

The list goes on and on and on and on. Not that I don't make decent money (not great, not bad, a decent professional middle income salary) but when my wife went back to school for the last 3 years and we were covering our expenses on a reduced income asking for nothing meanwhile half the people who bought a house around here in the past decade got reduced mortgages and lowered rates. My wife and I had a house that was affordable so our rate stayed the same and no reduction because we were paying it off and weren't upside down so nothing for us. Meanwhile the same friends who were getting reductions in mortgages or the people we know who were getting Child Health Plus and driving newer cars then us. Or the people who come into our job on Medicare having name brand clothes and latest and greatest cell phones while we bought some used phones off a friend to save money on our bill.

Now please come over and tell my kid why mom and dad haven't gotten to take her on a decent vacation her whole life while single mom on "housing assistance" and her kid in reduced rate pre-K just came back from Disney. The priorities and ability to work the system in this state (liberal bastion NY) and country in general is appalling. And when people like me in a year or two when my wife settles into her new high paying job after years of us scraping by finally get our incomes up we become "the rich" and need higher tax rates, "share the wealth" laws, and put on parade as people who don't care.

Ohh and while your here explain to her why she gets checks instead of toys for holidays and birthdays for her college savings account, but when she goes to college she now gets shafted because they kids who got toys and computers and other frivolities didn't save so they get priority for scholarships, reduced tuition, and better access to grants/loans.

Ok but not one mention of where most of your tax dollars go-- corporate welfare- I have posted quite a few posts showing the FACTS of the huge difference of that of poor's people welfare- -

Old 11-09-2015, 10:59 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,250,429 times
it's called the "gimme gimme gimme" society and it started with the baby boomers back in the 1960s. they did not learn from their parents and expected and still do to some extent, the government to wipe their azz for them. It has spread to other generations so now we have a bunch of self absorbed narcisists that think they are entitled to everything.

i good meme I saw on facebook showed JFK, the last good democrat, giving his "ask not what your country can do for, but what you can do for your country" line. I wonder if he ran today, would he have a chance of winning since the attitude in our society was not like it is today where everyone has their hand out expecting something.

Quote:
So many people these days seem to think everyone is owed a check, a house, food, healthcare, a phone, and college. Can anybody explain why this is? Can anyone explain why a person should receive resources which far exceed their worth to society?

Old 11-09-2015, 11:01 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,250,429 times
but who is responsible in making sure you get those things???

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom;41855190[B
]Every human on the planet is entitled to food, shelter, and healthcare and I can't imagine why anyone would deny those to any person.[/b]

Regarding checks, phones and education, I firmly support the right of representative democracies to offer or deny those as a majority of members/citizens deem appropriate.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:16 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,234,036 times
Quote:
Ask the snotty, self righteous, radical Left students that now run the University of Missouri. I'm sure they can give you a detailed, tear drop inducing explanation about why today's delicate snowflake and Thuper Thpecial student yoots deserve to have all of these things handed to them in a freshman college orientation class held inside the auditorium of the new Social Justice and Class Warfare Collective.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:50 AM

259 posts, read 178,774 times
If the OP and his like minded cretins are truly representative of the white American working class whose mortality rates are rocketing up, then it is probably the best news we've had in a while. Some reason though, I don't they all the people who've died prematurely are as useless as the OP is.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:53 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Lol. I'm from the projects. So no, I'm not "scared". I'm asking on here because they never have an answer.
You suspect that some posters here have the answer?

I mean, if the people doing these things don't have an answer, why ask people who, most likely, have never been in that situation?

If you are 'from the projects' you should already know the answer.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:09 PM

674 posts, read 611,195 times
Since we have more than enough food for everyone, it's pretty dumb to let anyone starve. Same with other basic services.

People shouldn't act as if they made it all by themselves by pulling on their own bootstraps. No one does that anymore. Maybe off-the-grid subsistence farmers. Maybe Tarzan or George of the Jungle. Everyone else benefits from being part of civilization, and we all benefit from keeping the poorest from falling off completely.

It's not as if those who are well off are working so much harder than poor people who live paycheck to paycheck, anyway.

This is not to say that some sort of commie idea like a planned economy is a viable solution. We've seen time and time again that those ideas always fail. I'm not sure what the ideal economic system is; we probably haven't found it yet. However, it's pretty safe to say that the vast area in-between Soviet or Maoist ridiculously and the free-for-all gilded age is better than either extreme.

Well-run social programs that keep our poor from starving or dying in the streets are a good thing. If you're the sort of person who would refuse to give a starving man a sandwich because you "earned" it and the starving man did not, and then you cried "Theft!" when Robin Hood took the sandwich from you to give to the starving man, well, then perhaps you need to rethink a few things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies