Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 01:20 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Exactly! Why would our laws need adjusting if she were talking about legal immigrants? Latinos already enjoy the highest quotas by far for legal immigration into our country annually. Of course she was talking about illegal immigration! Anyone with half a brain could see that. Who is trying to make legal immigrants leave? Just another clue for the clueless in here that she was speaking of illegals not legal immigrants.
When what some call a pretty women speaks, all reasoning goes out the window. She could stand there and tell them she is taking over their house and "they need to shut up deal with it" seems most would give her a key to bring her 5 illegal children in for just being cute.

Wonder if they would feel the same if a single man 45 with children was saying this....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 01:36 PM

241 posts, read 189,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
When what some call a pretty women speaks, all reasoning goes out the window. She could stand there and tell them she is taking over their house and "they need to shut up deal with it" seems most would give her a key to bring her 5 illegal children in for just being cute.

Wonder if they would feel the same if a single man 45 with children was saying this....
Most people would if it's an attractive, eloquent, charismatic man saying it.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:16 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
It's not a deflection to talk about the Dominican Republic when Saldana talks about Dominican culture in the article (I read the original interview, not just the article about the interview).

Since legal immigrants are more likely to speak English and assimilate than illegals, the focus of my discussion (with the Natives) about illegals was forcing everything to be bilingual Spanish when they've been there for much longer and are already being bilingual English and their native tongue. I know that doesn't fit the PC narrative of only English-speaking whites being against the replacement of their culture, but too bad it's true.

Who said all immigrants are illegal? My problem is entirely with illegal immigrants not legal ones, but I'm also getting sick of some of the legal immigrants advocating for the illegal ones. And I have a problem with illegals of any origin, but bring up Spanish because this thread is about a Latin actress.

You live in the whitest major city in the country. Oregon defeated drivers' licenses for illegals so probably more left the state since then. You live in a bubble untouched by illegals yet are trying to tell those of us in the sanctuary state of CA and other places what we're seeing with our very eyes.
It is a deflection because what is happening is someone is saying "see it is worse where she is from, so she has no place to talk about immigration in the US." When in fact she is as much of a citizen in the US as anyone else that is a citizen here, therefore she has all the right in the world to talk about immigration in the US. If one wishes to talk about immigration in the Dominican Republic, then a different thread is needed because that would be off topic in this thread.

We do not live in a country that is English only, it actually would be good for more people who only speak English to learn a few other languages, it is good for the brain. Also, those that legally migrate here should not and do not have to give up their native language just to live in the US. They are also free to speak their language to others. Also, assuming someone doesn't know how to speak English just because they are speaking a foreign language to you is a major assumption. Though anyone can tell you, English is a very complex language that is hard for many to understand. We see improper use of English on this forum every day.

I am not in the interest of name calling, when I said "all immigrants are illegal" I was referring to the fact that any time immigration is mentioned in this forum there are certain people that automatically go to illegal immigrants as if legal immigrants don't exist.

Yes, Portland is a very white major city, it is good that we have all gotten that out of the way. Yes, even in Oregon we voted down giving drivers licenses to illegals, I was one of the many that voted against it because it wasn't a well written bill. I don't voting against that bill had any affect on the number of illegals living in Oregon one way or another.....though being a fairly white state in a very white city, I don't think there are that many illegals in Oregon to begin with. So it isn't really that big of an issue here.

As for sanctuary cities, I do feel like I can talk about that if the criteria is living in one seeing Portland is considered to be one.
Sanctuary Cities and States Protecting Illegal Aliens in the United States - Oregon

What I am saying is what you see with your own eyes is incapable of telling you if someone is legal or illegal because that is not something anyone can confirm visually.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Why should we adjust our laws to fit people who brought their children in illegally or had children while here illegally? Do you actually think they didn't no any better?
Actually I think anyone born and raised in this country is and should be an American. I don't see the small percentage of illegals living in the US to be a serious issue when compared to the amount of legal American citizens currently living in the country.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:21 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn Your Own Keep View Post
Most people would if it's an attractive, eloquent, charismatic man saying it.
Not all of us people are "start struck" by looks. If a dude or lady says a lot of lame stuff; I ignore them. Hell; the reason I would NOT vote for McCain in 2008 was because his running mate was Sarah Palin, even tho she's a hottie.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:23 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually I think anyone born and raised in this country is and should be an American. I don't see the small percentage of illegals living in the US to be a serious issue when compared to the amount of legal American citizens currently living in the country.
I DISagree and how here. Birthright NEEDS to be stopped for ANY US born kid unless at least 1 parent's a US citizen. Period.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I DISagree and how here. Birthright NEEDS to be stopped for ANY US born kid unless at least 1 parent's a US citizen. Period.
That's cool, it will require a change to an Amendment, you might want to get started on that because I hear the process isn't easy.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:44 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
WTH has the percentage of actual citizens in our country have to do with the percentage of illegal liens that supposedly justifies their presence here and least of all our citizenship? I swear someone in here goes more and more off the deep end with their inane arguments. They are here illegally aka in violation of our immigration laws and shouldn't be entitled to anything but a swift kick in the rear back to their own countries. The 14th does and should not grant the children of illegal aliens birthright citizenship. I don't give a hoot if they were raised here. They learn the culture and language of their illegal parents so it's a non-issue. Many if not most of them have relatives back in their homelands. Bye, bye!

Old 11-12-2015, 02:47 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
I don't give a hoot who wants to push out legal immigrants from Latin America or any other part of the world. They can't do that and they are among the minority in this country that feel that way. But WTH would the pro-illegals have if they couldn't hold them up as the example of the majority in this country and play their usual xenophobe, racist, victim card especially for those from Latin America? Sick of hearing this stupid nonsense!

Old 11-12-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
WTH has the percentage of actual citizens in our country have to do with the percentage of illegal liens that supposedly justifies their presence here and least of all our citizenship? I swear someone in here goes more and more off the deep end with their inane arguments. They are here illegally aka in violation of our immigration laws and shouldn't be entitled to anything but a swift kick in the rear back to their own countries. The 14th does and should not grant the children of illegal aliens birthright citizenship. I don't give a hoot if they were raised here. They learn the culture and language of their illegal parents so it's a non-issue. Many if not most of them have relatives back in their homelands. Bye, bye!
It means it is a small problem, though I am sure to you it is a very big problem.

Quote:
I don't give a hoot who wants to push out legal immigrants from Latin America or any other part of the world. They can't do that and they are among the minority in this country that feel that way. But WTH would the pro-illegals have if they couldn't hold them up as the example of the majority in this country and play their usual xenophobe, racist, victim card especially for those from Latin America? Sick of hearing this stupid nonsense!
You are making a big assumption that I am "pro-illegals." That would be an incorrect assumption on your part.

As for the 14th Amendment, that is totally fine that you feel that way and that you think it should do what it does, but it does do what it does and there is a process to change it and it isn't easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies