Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 05:32 AM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times

Advertisements

I don't get the people who don't want to see people get paid more? why?? what are you afraid of?? the Corporations do have enough cushion! You complain of welfare and food stamps! Make up your mind already!
Am I talking to people who are stuck in the past -when they made 4.34 hr and think that's all they should still get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 08:00 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I don't get the people who don't want to see people get paid more? why?? what are you afraid of?? the Corporations do have enough cushion! You complain of welfare and food stamps! Make up your mind already!
Am I talking to people who are stuck in the past -when they made 4.34 hr and think that's all they should still get?
and there you have it folks.. the mentality of the liberals

everything is the evil corporations

but the problem is the actual factual truth
99% of americans who work...work for small businesses(small companies with less than 500 total employees)
89.8% work for small businesses (small companies with less than 20 people)

most small businesses are operating on profit ratios smaller than 10% (of which most is rolled back into the company)

raising the min wage is a killer for small business.....so it spawns a question...is that the liberals agenda, to kill small business and make the big corporations the monopoly???

Old 11-11-2015, 01:37 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
time to check in and see what sort of responses I got to asking people why this time was different. Source for the minimum wage data used:
Minimum wage since 1938 - CNNMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Visit any retail store in the country and you find fewer and fewer employees. Now the few staff at Walmart have to walk all the way across a football field sized store to help customers. Go to a Barnes and noble and the store is minimally staffed.

A higher minimum wage will prompt businesses to reduce employment, raise prices, or find other ways to save on cost. In the long run, it makes very little improvement in actual terms. But it is good politics. To the economically illiterate and financially lazy. Who doesn't like free candies right? This is where this whole envy politics never moves forward much. It is a bitter politics that stays the way it is.
And? Nothing in what you are indicating indicates why now its a suddenly different dynamic then the past really. The higher minimum wages in the past did this too...and look the world didnt end. Why is today different? If your argument is "the machines are coming"...you are correct, they are. And they are coming no matter what the minimum wage is. It doesn't change the underlying reason why we should bump it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroZach View Post
I support raising the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour though why are we going so high to $15.00? It doesn't make sense and will kill the economy. We have the technology that is continuing to be utilized in the fast food industry where you do not need an employee to take the order when you can have an automatic system that will in the long run prove to be cheaper. Believe me raising the minimum wage to such a high level will prove to be a disaster.
Good news then, most people are not saying it should be $15 instantly. Come on now, folks DO in fact have a grasp that sudden shocks can damage a system. So if its $15 spread out over 10 years, is that ok? If not, explain why.

I will say that this reply wasn't nonsense. Its a reasonable concern, and why no one is saying to do it today all at once generally. And the concern about $10 vs $15 I respect as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Minimum wage is a tool invented to keep low skilled (read: minority) workers out of the work force. Introduced in BC to stop Chinese from taking White logging jobs. Later applied in Australia to keep minorities from taking White railroad jobs. Introduced in the US under Davis-Bacon Act to protect White construction workers from low paid Blacks. Introduced in Apartheid S Africa by the Boers to keep Blacks out of the factories. Etc etc etc.

Raise the minimum wage to $15 and see what happens. Better Better yet, raise it to $25. I'll still get hired. Low skilled (read: minority) workers won't. I will gladly order fast food from a self-service kiosk if it guarantees me personally $25 an hour minimum.
Only in your head is it about minorities, although if we assumed it was, your arguments from there on out are remarkably racist. Apparently you think your hatred of minorities is why we should keep it down. got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Other times we had modest increases, not massive. Not a large % of the present experience rate being paid.

Now if they wanted a 10% raise, the past experience would be relevant.

Again, we have had massive increases 1974-1981 saw it double from 1.60 to 3.85. So I would argue that past experience is very applicable, and I would have evidence on my side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm

the min wage increase of 07/09 was the straw that broke the usa's back creating the perfect storm recession
OMG this is awesome.....soooo the worldwide recession in 2009 was because we raised the minimum wage from....$5.15 to $7.25. (the wage that had been flat for 9 years despite inflation) Uh huh. Really? Where do you come up with these weird ideas? Do you hope that you can fit your narrative in with a shoe horn? The recession had nothing to do with the minimum wage, this is utter nonsense.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:41 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,750,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Why? Demonstrate this using past minimum wage increases. show how they resulted in job losses.

Ohh...this time is different? Why?
show me the last time they doubled the current minimum wage.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:44 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
I have no problem with the minimum wage being raised every four years at the rate of inflation but for me anything else is simply nonsense, want to earn more than minimum wage then go out and find a way to earn better pay, take some personal responsibility.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:05 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And raising it to $15/hr wouldn't happen overnight, it would be over a series of years which means the percentage of increases would be much more doable for most businesses. And to answer your question to why not $10.10, it would be $10.10/hr for a year on its way to $15/hr as it increased by small percentages each year. Though I imagine states with a higher minimum wage now would probably reach $15/hr minimum wage faster than states that are still going off of the current Federal Minimum Wage.
The method of boiling a frog by placing it in tepid water and gradually increasing the heat works the same way. Incremental destruction is still destruction.

Mandated minimum wage should be eliminated. The government should not be involved in business arrangements they are not a party to.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
A lot of the interviews done during this protest were of young single mothers.
They talked about how they needed welfare to augment their low wages.

And not a single mention of any father or child support.

One mother was 22 years old, 2 kids and she didn't finish HS.
She lives in Chicago and I'd wager that child support from the father(s) would eliminate her need for welfare.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:20 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The method of boiling a frog by placing it in tepid water and gradually increasing the heat works the same way. Incremental destruction is still destruction.

Mandated minimum wage should be eliminated. The government should not be involved in business arrangements they are not a party to.
Then you should be able to prove it by showing how unemployment has increased over the years do to minimum wage going up in the past. I'll wait.....

Old 11-11-2015, 04:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Then you should be able to prove it by showing how unemployment has increased over the years do to minimum wage going up in the past. I'll wait.....
At no time in the past has min wage doubled. So it can't be "proven".

Old 11-11-2015, 08:09 PM

34,048 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
At no time in the past has min wage doubled. So it can't be "proven".

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies