Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 11:35 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I was referring to myself as a white male. not me specifically. try to keep.
No. You were referring to yourself specifically. See below. Just about every sentence uses the words "I" and "my". Those are personal pronouns.

If you were referencing the perks white males get, then I would assume that you believe ALL white males have credit scores of 810; that ALL white males pay their bills on time, etc. That's highly unlikely.

No, it's obvious you were speaking of yourself. It's hard to keep up with untruths, isn't it.

Quote:
ahhh. I love my white privilege. I get access to the best loan rates. it has nothing to do with my 810 credit score and nasty habit of paying bills on time. it's based on the color of my skin. it's also my privilege to be at a disadvantage when doing something like trying to secure a federal contract. those go to "minority" owned businesses. well, see ya later. just heard the daily knock on the door. that means my check for being white has arrived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 11:42 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
No. You were referring to yourself specifically. See below. Just about every sentence uses the words "I" and "my". Those are personal pronouns.

If you were referencing the perks white males get, then I would assume that you believe ALL white males have credit scores of 810; that ALL white males pay their bills on time, etc. That's highly unlikely.

No, it's obvious you were speaking of yourself. It's hard to keep up with untruths, isn't it.
I am getting to you in a fashion previously unseen. you're using the pronoun argument. that has also never been seen. you'll now be presented with the liberal stamp of approval.

I said "you'll." hope that was clear enough for you.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:45 AM

674 posts, read 611,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
ahhh. I love my white privilege. I get access to the best loan rates. it has nothing to do with my 810 credit score and nasty habit of paying bills on time. it's based on the color of my skin. it's also my privilege to be at a disadvantage when doing something like trying to secure a federal contract. those go to "minority" owned businesses. well, see ya later. just heard the daily knock on the door. that means my check for being white has arrived.

I don't mean this in a hostile or snarky way. Really, please read about what privilege is. It's something everyone has to learn, because we're all privileged in some ways.

The fact that you have a decent credit score doesn't have much to do with the part of white privilege involved in discussions of representation (except that there is probably some interaction between lack of representation and poverty, which correlates with lack of bill paying -- not that it should, though, since plenty of us paid our bills when we were poor).

Seriouly, you and your kids get to skip a lot of really subtle problems other people have to deal with. One of them is this problem of being a perpetual foreigner, where you're never seen as a real American or even as just an average person. When you do manage success as a non-white person, a lot of white people scream about how unfair it is and how much they hate diversity.

How do you think that affects children? They're fed the message that they don't really belong. They're just as American as anyone else (including me, of course). My kids deserve to fit in just as much as anyone else's. They need role models, too.

And, of course, part of the problem with representation is that Asian people don't get 6% of lead roles on television or in movies. They're almost always the sidekick. A lot has been written about this, so I won't repeat it here. Just look it up.

When John Boyega won the lead role in Star Wars, people flipped out. When that Cheerios commercial showed a normal married couple with one non-white person in it, people flipped out. This is a problem.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:57 AM

756 posts, read 424,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post

You laugh at diversity (I've seen plenty of people crying over the same thing) because you don't understand why representation is important. That's part of white privilege, by the way.

Ahhhh yes "White Privilege"
The liberal self-loathing, sanctimonious bull**** that I'm supposed to walk around in perpetual shame and apology for things I had no part in and listen politely when condescending white liberal elites and victim class minorities "educate" me in all the ways that I've had unfair advantages and how evil my race is.

Wasn't it Martin Luther King Jr who said we should judge people by the content of their character instead of their race?

He'd be sooo proud

Old 11-12-2015, 12:00 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times
Quote:
I don't mean this in a hostile or snarky way. Really, please read about what privilege is. It's something everyone has to learn, because we're all privileged in some ways.

The fact that you have a decent credit score doesn't have much to do with the part of white privilege involved in discussions of representation (except that there is probably some interaction between lack of representation and poverty, which correlates with lack of bill paying -- not that it should, though, since plenty of us paid our bills when we were poor).

Seriouly, you and your kids get to skip a lot of really subtle problems other people have to deal with. One of them is this problem of being a perpetual foreigner, where you're never seen as a real American or even as just an average person. When you do manage success as a non-white person, a lot of white people scream about how unfair it is and how much they hate diversity.

How do you think that affects children? They're fed the message that they don't really belong. They're just as American as anyone else (including me, of course). My kids deserve to fit in just as much as anyone else's. They need role models, too.

And, of course, part of the problem with representation is that Asian people don't get 6% of lead roles on television or in movies. They're almost always the sidekick. A lot has been written about this, so I won't repeat it here. Just look it up.

When John Boyega won the lead role in Star Wars, people flipped out. When that Cheerios commercial showed a normal married couple with one non-white person in it, people flipped out. This is a problem.
background on me. I grew up in the washington DC suburbs. as much as you probably don't want to hear it, it was all inclusive. basically because about half of the people I knew came from military families. I had minority coaches in my sports playing youth. it was second nature here.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:00 PM

674 posts, read 611,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
The liberal self-loathing, sanctimonious bull**** that I'm supposed to walk around in perpetual shame and apology for things I had no part in and listen politely when condescending white liberal elites and victim class minorities "educate" me in all they ways that I've had unfair advantages and how evil my race is.

Wasn't it Martin Luther King Jr who said we should judge people by the content of their character instead of their race?

He'd be sooo proud

No, white privilege has nothing to do with anything you said there.

Please consider looking up the actual definition before making it clear to everybody that you don't know what you're talking about.

This is exactly why white people aren't the ones who will be teaching the racial awareness classes as Mizzou. So many of them have no problem talking as if they are authorities on something they know nothing about.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:23 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times
Quote:
The liberal self-loathing, sanctimonious bull**** that I'm supposed to walk around in perpetual shame and apology for things I had no part in
If you have no idea what the term "White privilege" means, don't feel obliged to post.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Please consider looking up the actual definition before making it clear to everybody that you don't know what you're talking about.
Oh, yeah, I'm sure the racists on City-Data will do that.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:25 PM

756 posts, read 424,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Oh, yeah, I'm sure the racists on City-Data will do that.
So I disagree with you and I'm a racist.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
So I disagree with you and I'm a racist.
Your posts speak for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies