Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 08:52 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times

Advertisements

I like the saying, "Why vote? It only encourages them."

Seriously though, I've never voted before, although I might in the upcoming presidential election.

I guess the reason I never voted is because I couldn't see the sense of voting for the best of two bad politicians. I knew someone on air that used to vote Libertarian and he said people were always telling him he was wasting his vote and it was the same as not voting, because a Libertarian wouldn't ever win. In one way, I feel like voting for any of the scumbags we've had running in the last 30 years is wasting a vote. Not because they can't get elected, but because I wouldn't want any of them to represent me. My feeling is that if someone does a good job the first time, then I'll vote for him if he or she runs again. So far nobody ever has, to my satisfaction anyway.

In one way, not voting is a form of protest, although I know it's a very pitiful sort of protest. What I'm telling the people running for office is that I don't think enough of them to make it worth my while to vote for any of them. It's a form of cutting off my nose to spite my face and I'm not really happy about the decision to either vote or not vote. I wish there was a spot where we could check "none of the above" on the ballots and if that was the majority of notes, then all parties would have to find another candidate. Yeah, I know that isn't a perfect scenario either, but I can dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 09:02 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,209 times
Don't vote, don't care. I've never seen a politician I liked, ever. Politics is a cult of barfy narcissism I shun because it's my right as an American to do so.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:04 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
No, my job is to try to convince the statists (like you) that the social contract and initiation of force are inconsistent and immoral concepts when nearly all of us really think about it.
Why should we care what is happening at your job? That sounds like your problem....

Old 11-13-2015, 09:15 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Why should we care what is happening at your job? That sounds like your problem....
Huh?

Voting is not only an active gesture that recognizes the state it iniatiates force on others.

Rationalizing theft is a moral inconsistency for most of us.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Don't vote, don't care. I've never seen a politician I liked, ever. Politics is a cult of barfy narcissism I shun because it's my right as an American to do so.
Only megalomaniacs believe they can run your life better than you.

And over-protective moms.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:19 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I like the saying, "Why vote? It only encourages them."

Seriously though, I've never voted before, although I might in the upcoming presidential election.

I guess the reason I never voted is because I couldn't see the sense of voting for the best of two bad politicians. I knew someone on air that used to vote Libertarian and he said people were always telling him he was wasting his vote and it was the same as not voting, because a Libertarian wouldn't ever win. In one way, I feel like voting for any of the scumbags we've had running in the last 30 years is wasting a vote. Not because they can't get elected, but because I wouldn't want any of them to represent me. My feeling is that if someone does a good job the first time, then I'll vote for him if he or she runs again. So far nobody ever has, to my satisfaction anyway.

In one way, not voting is a form of protest, although I know it's a very pitiful sort of protest. What I'm telling the people running for office is that I don't think enough of them to make it worth my while to vote for any of them. It's a form of cutting off my nose to spite my face and I'm not really happy about the decision to either vote or not vote. I wish there was a spot where we could check "none of the above" on the ballots and if that was the majority of notes, then all parties would have to find another candidate. Yeah, I know that isn't a perfect scenario either, but I can dream.
I'm sure you're not ready to agree with my views fully, but I like a lot of your post and wanted to say a few things. It isn't pitiful to refuse to vote. It's a very strong thing to do. I love that you don't want to pick someone just because they're the lesser of two evils...evil is still evil, and you'd be giving them the impression that you support their evil.

The part you may disagree with me on is this: You don't need to choose anyone to rule over you. You own yourself. Nobody thinks of that as an option, but it is, and the number of people realizing that is growing surprisingly quickly, especially within libertarian circles. If enough people just ignore them and stop playing the stupid game, there's your solution.

Even if I did believe that I needed a politician to control my life, voting really doesn't change a thing. I saw a picture of a cow in front of a red gate and a blue gate, and both led to the slaughterhouse. It's the same result either way.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:24 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Huh?

Voting is not only an active gesture that recognizes the state it iniatiates force on others.

Rationalizing theft is a moral inconsistency for most of us.
You keep telling yourself that as you let others select who represents you.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You keep telling yourself that as you let others select who represents you.
Represent me or boss me around?

Old 11-13-2015, 10:31 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
No point, millions are seeing the game for what it really is, including me.

Oligarchs do not care about the citizens.

I bet a lot of French are feeling totally let down by their "leaders", letting in thousands upon thousands of 3rd world Muslims.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:49 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,560 times
I vote because once the majority of the people do not, what kind of a country do we become? If everyone would quit voting, would every politician quit listening to what the people want? People in countries who never get the opportunity to vote want that freedom. I'll not throw it away.

HaHa, my friend does not vote, because she doesn't want to serve jury duty and believes that's where they get those names. Funny thing, they quit using voting lists years ago and now use drivers' license list! I should ask her if she's planning to quit driving...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies