Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 12:27 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeSuisFrance View Post
Why can community college be affordable while 4 yr college cannot?!
Because community college leaders' make an effort to contain costs

As opposed to higher-ed leaders, who are thoroughly corrupt, and seek to bid up each other's salaries. Some of these administrators are pulling in $500,000 - $1m / year, not counting the small armies' worth of $80k-$150k/yr "Assistant to the Assistant Vice Provosts" and such.

Their goals are mostly unrelated to "teaching undergraduates at the lowest possible cost," which is what the general public expects from its public universities.

Quote:
Government should subsidize higher education cost just like it does with many other things without raising taxes.
Well the funding has to come from somewhere.

The reason tuition is so high in the first place is because a few geniuses in the 1980's decided that federally-subsidized student loans should replace state taxpayers as the primary source of funding.

And like everything else that comes into contact with borrowed money, it skyrocketed in costs.

Last edited by le roi; 11-16-2015 at 01:39 PM..

Old 11-16-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A better solution is to let public universities charge whatever they want but cut all government funding. Let the universities stand or fall based on how successful they are in innovation and research (you know... like it was before the government got involved).
I guess if the goal is to raise tuition as high as possible, this would be the ideal plan.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:37 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeSuisFrance View Post
I think that public college tuition should cost maximum $5K/yr excluding the cost of room and board. Why can community college be affordable while 4 yr college cannot?! Government should subsidize higher education cost just like it does with many other things without raising taxes. No student should have more than $20K student loans.

The answer should be pretty self evident when you consider the resources many universities have, the top notch research that is conducted at those universities. When is the last time that you saw a study come out of Northampton Community College.

A big problem with college tuition is government backed loans and financial aid, colleges have no need to rein in costs and remain competitive because students can get loans to cover their tuition, regardless of what it is.

Government is a big part of why college is as expensive as it is. Because of financial aid, we've wound up with this massive college tuition bubble. Now you're stuck between a rock and a hard place....do you pull the loans, thus forcing colleges to reduce tuition to remain viable but making attending many four year universities simply untenable for many young Americans, or do you keep on trucking away, watching tuition rates continue to move upwards well beyond inflation, so when these kids finish college, they are screwed with massive loans to payoff, loans that can't be discharged even through bankruptcy.

The Surprising Reason College Tuition Is Crazy Expensive | The Fiscal Times

Quote:

Are federal student loans driving up the cost of college tuition?
A report from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York indicates that’s exactly what’s happening, finding the effect of aid expansion on tuition to be more bad news than good. The study found that for every dollar awarded in Pell Grants or subsidized loans, schools raise their tuition by 55 or 65 cents, respectively. Nor does the availability of financial aid boost enrollment.
It’s a vicious cycle. High tuition costs drive up the need and demand for student loans. Increasing aid to students in the form of federal student loans mean more money is available. The more funds students can access, the more tuition colleges and universities look to charge. That, in turn, makes college less affordable both for students who receive financial aid and those who don’t.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:50 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Universities must be flush with money. No one ask Universities the hard questions about why they have these costs?

Old 11-16-2015, 12:55 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Some people act as though a college education is a right. They seem to feel that it's a worthy investment as long as it isn't them that has to pay the bill. I think anyone should be able to attend college that wants to. As long as:
1. They are qualified.
2. They understand it's an investment. Their investment.
Not everyone is cut out for higher education. I know that I wasn't and that I am not. Trades were my path and I have done reasonably well for myself.
Germany has some good ideas, especially when it comes to trade schools.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:59 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Universities must be flush with money. No one ask Universities the hard questions about why they have these costs?

Because they have to justify the related tuition hikes.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
you can ask them all the questions you want.

the people they answer to, though, are state legislatures, who care primarily about two things:

#1 - is the football team any good this year?

#2 - can we cut the contributions from state taxpayers?

Old 11-16-2015, 01:09 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
If only liberal professors would work for $15 an hour.
Public universities used to function just fine back in the 60s. Liberal professors and all. One semester was $350 or so. And I think the professors did OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies