Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 06:42 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
And how is that not exactly what some people needed to meet their insurance needs?

Like I said, I and many other people I know needed only inexpensive catastrophic plans while self-funding routine medical care (which wouldn't meet Obamacare plan deductibles anyway) that costs MUCH less than Obamacare premiums.
Because those were rip-off policies -- pretending to give someone coverage which it actually did not. This is from Consumer Reports (Junk health insurance
Stingy plans may be worse than none at all)

Quote:
It might seem to be health insurance, if you don’t look too closely, and most people don’t. The premiums are surprisingly affordable. And so millions of unemployed people, service industry workers, and those taken in by fast-talking telemarketers sign up. They may think they’re insured—until they have a medical problem and find out that their coverage is as skimpy as a hospital gown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 06:47 AM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times
A lot of these discussions are like the ones I had earlier in life about Whole life insurance.

Agents tried to push me to term coverage, lower cost great coverage etc. etc.

Now I have a backstop of whole life coverage and unlike a lot of people my age do not have that worry about using pension, 401K or IRA funds.. My family is protected and I have piece of mind.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:49 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Because those were rip-off policies -- pretending to give someone coverage which it actually did not.
An inexpensive catastrophic plan is exactly that. It pays medical expenses for a catastrophic injury/illness. People who buy them KNOW that, and self-fund routine medical care. You'd have to assume people are stupid to assert what you have. Not everyone is stupid. MANY of us have done our research and purchased exactly the kind of insurance we needed.

How very telling that you think you and the Dems need to cater to the stupid...

Old 11-16-2015, 06:52 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Not all true, for some perhaps. In my situation before the ACA (pre-existing condition) our medical bills amounted to a 6 figure debt. So, in our case if the ACA was around at the time we would not have come close to bankruptcy. However, since the creation of the ACA deductibles have increased almost 70% in the past 5 years. To me the ACA is more like catastrophic coverage with a high monthly premium.
Many high deductible plans were around prior to the ACA, and many states offered high deductible plans for those with pre-existing conditions that were actually a much better deal than you can get under obama care. Reality is that studies have shown the average household would struggle to come up with $400 to cover an unexpected expense, yet a high premium insurance plan that really only covers catastrophic incidences is going to protect the average person? Reality is these plans are not there to make things better for the average consumer, they were a money grab by those that backed the politicians with a plan to force us into government healthcare eventually.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:57 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Not true at all. The business model for insurance assumes millions of people will use the insurance.
Read my post again. I did not say for-profit health insurance, I said for-profit insurance.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:59 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
An inexpensive catastrophic plan is exactly that. It pays medical expenses for a catastrophic injury/illness. People who buy them KNOW that, and self-fund routine medical care. You'd have to assume people are stupid to assert what you have. Not everyone is stupid. MANY of us have done our research and purchased exactly the kind of insurance we needed.

Obamacare has those polices: Catastrophic Plans: Healthcare Exchange - Medicoverage.com

That is different than the junk policies that were outlawed.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:59 AM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times
Quote:

Hence the lowest cost highest deductible policies in the Healthcare exchanges. They are their for those who wish to buy them.

The benefit is that certain areas of healthcare are covered fully. No longer an issue to those who self funded. They can take advantage of those benefits or sit back on their PC's and complain.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
FAIL. Those plans are MUCH more costly than the catastrophic plans availabe before Obamacare.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:03 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Many high deductible plans were around prior to the ACA, and many states offered high deductible plans for those with pre-existing conditions that were actually a much better deal than you can get under obama care. Reality is that studies have shown the average household would struggle to come up with $400 to cover an unexpected expense, yet a high premium insurance plan that really only covers catastrophic incidences is going to protect the average person? Reality is these plans are not there to make things better for the average consumer, they were a money grab by those that backed the politicians with a plan to force us into government healthcare eventually.
There was one plan we could have picked up in our state, that was HIPAA coverage at $2600 per-month coverage with a 10 month grace period. Paying out of pocket for her care on top of paying that premium for 10 months with no benefit from it was not an option. There was light at the end of the 2.5 year long tunnel.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Hence the lowest cost highest deductible policies in the Healthcare exchanges.
The premiums are way too high for what one gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies