Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 04:44 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,752,933 times

Advertisements

There has actually been a scientific study that shows that the conservative brain tends to be more active in the areas that control fear. Republicans play on fear...it's their strategy for getting elected. That is why during times of national crisis, especially when it comes to terrorism or foreign affairs, people are more likely to vote Republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 04:52 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,607,003 times
Uh no. Given that chicken hawk republicans brought us into an unnecessary war that created more terrorism, I'd say no.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:53 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,607,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
There has actually been a scientific study that shows that the conservative brain tends to be more active in the areas that control fear. Republicans play on fear...it's their strategy for getting elected. That is why during times of national crisis, especially when it comes to terrorism or foreign affairs, people are more likely to vote Republican.
You sure that's not to hinder intelligence? For God's sake, Cheney was a hawk who deferred five times. Stupid people somehow thought he did more than Kerry.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:07 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,173,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Is it your impression that people in general think the Republican Party is the party best equipped to handle terror, crime, keeping them safe? Not asking if you believe Republicans keep you safe, are better on crime and/or terror but what you think the public at large believes.

Do you foresee new 2016 poll questions on this issue?

If you are a Democrat who thought you had the election sewn up, are you getting nervous?

My own opinion is the issues most important to people when voting are the ones that impact them personally, so the only reason this Paris event impacts voters is because Obama is taking in Syrian refugees and others from the Middle East. If he would stop doing that there would be less of an election impact minus an attack on US soil.
No, no and no.

The worst terrorist attack on this country with the highest death toll took place in 2001 under a GOP admin. And it was largely because the admin was so focused on Iraq that they ignored warnings about al qaeda. They were directly responsible for not keeping us safe. Fairly certain that most of the country was aware the admin was GOP when we were attacked.

Nobody believes any election is "sewn up," but Trump's fear-mongering is not going to bring sane people to his way of thought. Frankly, he reminds me of Mussolini.

The election is one year away. People generally vote their pocketbooks, so if Americans are generally doing well, they aren't likely to rock the boat by changing parties. That happened under the Bush admin as well. People did well under Clinton, then Bush took over and we know what happened by the time he left...

If the GOP wants to get elected, they better count on more than fear to get people to vote for them.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:17 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,762,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
In my mind
Democrats take care of the people.
Republicans take care of the country.

Dems love their social programs that help the poor but there is only so much that can be done. When the programs get too big and too costly it takes a Republican to rein it in.

I don't know why people bash Bush so much, yeah he was all for the big business but when it came to war after 9,11 the entire country was demanding revenge, so off we went. I think we expected it to be like the first Gulf War where we bombed the crap out of them in a handful of days and it was done. Bush and Cheney marched in on bad information but it was the best at the time. Hindsight is 20/20. Hussein was an evil dictator that killed his own people BUT he did keep the region in balance. The same can be said for Ghadafi.

I thought Clinton was a good president. Bush was just OK. Obama is down right terrible. He has done more to divide this country then anyone and he has made the middle east a mess.
We need a strong Republican to straighten out this mess but it is going to be a long tough uphill climb that the public is not going to like.

Neither party is what they used to be and the country is suffering.
I agree, sadly nobody is trying to take the parties back. We need Teddy Roosevelts in the Republican Party and Woodrow Wilsons in the Democrat Party. The closest to Wilson in the Democrats IMO is Sanders. Still waiting on a Teddy in the Republicans (though not holding my breath with all the RINO insults being thrown at them.)

Old 11-16-2015, 05:19 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,351,411 times
When People Are Afraid They Vote Republican - Agree?

LOL..ROFLMBO..Yep that's what Republican's are hoping for, anyway ???

Old 11-16-2015, 05:21 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,425,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
When People Are Afraid They Vote Republican - Agree?

LOL..ROFLMBO..Yep that's what Republican's are hoping for, anyway ???
Do you think they Americans would be happier with King Hillary rolling out of the bed at 3AM to take that phone call?

Old 11-16-2015, 05:31 PM

30,574 posts, read 21,751,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I was a registered Democrat. Have not voted for the GOP in the last 20 years. I voted for Obama. And was disgusted with the Bush Administration. However, I am not a blinded by political dogma Partisan. Just this year, I changed my voter registration to Non-Affiliated and will not be voting for Hillary Clinton in 2016.

And I know plenty of ex-Democrats who have done the same thing.

It's anecdotal for sure so it means nothing here, but this is my answer since the question was asked.

I don't think Hillary Clinton has it sewn up at all. Not even close. IMO, it's going to be quite a loss for the DNC.
Yep, former dem turned Independent here and will probably vote against Hillary as she will just be a continuation of Obama.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:33 PM

30,574 posts, read 21,751,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

If the GOP wants to get elected, they better count on more than fear to get people to vote for them.
I get the feeling that will come in spades as O has done nothing to quell the coming storm.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:20 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,231,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
No, no and no.

The worst terrorist attack on this country with the highest death toll took place in 2001 under a GOP admin. And it was largely because the admin was so focused on Iraq that they ignored warnings about al qaeda. They were directly responsible for not keeping us safe. Fairly certain that most of the country was aware the admin was GOP when we were attacked.

Nobody believes any election is "sewn up," but Trump's fear-mongering is not going to bring sane people to his way of thought. Frankly, he reminds me of Mussolini.

The election is one year away. People generally vote their pocketbooks, so if Americans are generally doing well, they aren't likely to rock the boat by changing parties. That happened under the Bush admin as well. People did well under Clinton, then Bush took over and we know what happened by the time he left...

actually the planning of 9/11 and the terrorists who came to this country and learned to FLY a jet plane happened under Bill Clinton's Watch, I guess he was too busy getting blow jobs from interns and selling out the country with awful trade deals.

those terrorists were already here and already learned to fly JET planes under our noses under Bill Clinton. Those terrorists were here for years under the Clinton administration.

There were many terrorists acts that Bill Clinton ignored during his presidency.

February 26, 1993, bombing of the World Trade Center, the Khobar Towers attack, the August 7, 1998, bombing of U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania, and the October 12, 2000, attack on the USS Cole

* June 25, 1996, a powerful truck bomb exploded outside the Khobar Towers barracks in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, tearing the front from the building, blasting a crater 35 feet deep, and killing 19 American soldiers. Hundreds more were injured.

That all happened under Bill Clinton's WATCH.....after the 1993 World Trade Center Attack , Bill Clinton didn't do anything, the fact is more terrorists came in the country under his nose and trained to fly jet planes and plan 9/11........Gore if elected couldn't have stop what was coming because his former boss Bill Clinton didn't have a clue and you think Gore had a clue as a V.P.?.....I never heard AL GORE saying running for President that AL QAEDA is our #1 priority and we must secure and tighten who enters our country, I never heard AL GORE mention anything as V.P. during the Clinton's years or running for President in 2000.....did you?

keep drinking the kool aid from the DNC, you are so clueless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies